Is immortality possible in our lifetimes?

is immortality possible in our lifetimes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SRU5keWErVw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_suicide_and_immortality
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Isn't life long enough already for most civilized people?

Immortality will never be possible. You'll die one way or another.

>average healthy human lifespan; 90 years
>age of the universe: 10^60 years
not nearly long enough.

life extension will definitely come into full swing in the next few decades but i suspect it won't be enough to get you past 120

however before you get too old hopefully cryonics will be good enough that you could freeze yourself for say 50 years safely and then take advantage of whatever life extension technology had come around by then

>not nearly long enough.

Why?

>average healthy human lifespan; 90 years
where the fuck do you live? I've never met a healthy person over 60.

No.

He's comparing a human life to the universe's age. Probably thinking along the lines of
> We don't live long enough to actually witness the universe, and it's progression.

Do you think it is?

i'm comparing human life span to even the amount of things to go to/witness/participate in on earth, which would keep even the more proactive person busy for a millennium at least, and that's just right now. things are going to get way more interesting later

Humans deteriorate too quickly. We evolved to live up to 20-30 years in wild.

how are you going to survive the heat death of the universe?

The better question is whether it's desirable.

A person who lives 200 years will need at least 3 different careers in his lifetime. No single career can be expected to sustain a person in changing times and changing economies. This means going back to college, trade school, or learning new skills at the age of 80, and again at 120.

There are many additional issues, here are just a few:

-tooth decay leading to loss of teeth. I work in healthcare and 90% of my patients age 70+ have less than 10 teeth left. By age 100 nobody will have any teeth left

-alzhiemer's disease and other, new brain diseases that will arise from prolonged age. loss of brain tissue is normal with age but it could reach a pathological level when taken to extremes like 150+ years

-many of your friends will die 50 years before you, leading to social issues and depression

-the institution of marriage will be defunct because nobody will stay married to the same person for more than 100 years.

-economy will face problems because nobody is leaving the work force, meaning there are no new jobs for young people. young people will have to compete with seniors who have 30+ years of industry experience

by using a giant heater duh

Obviously it means biological immortal, fucking retard. Someone who can theoretically live 5,000 years is biologically immortal. Of course an accident or murder will happen eventually.

>fucking retard
>you're actually right
worst compliment ever

>immortality possible
>in our lifetimes

Something there is causing odd interference patterns in my brain.

But the answer is no, entropy remains the all-time undefeated champion.

>I work in healthcare and 90% of my patients age 70+ have less than 10 teeth left.

Well, I am now officially depressed.

>artificial teeths
>lol
>marrying
>have less kids
Brain degradation is the only real problem.

i wanna die

>a person who lives 200 years will need at least 3 different carreers in his lifetime
You have no way of knowing that even though it seems logical considering past and current situations, still you can't discard the possibility of careers not being a thing in the future anymore. Anyway I wouldn't mind at all going back to school and learning new skills, in fact I wish I'd live long enough to have the time to do just that but that's just a personal preference
>tooth decay, alzheimer, cancer, friends dying 50 years before you
I think we are assuming most of these problems would be solved when we think of biological immortality
>institution of marriage
Is already dead, but yes it would lose any of its last purposes in an immortal society
>economy will face problems (young people couldn't find jobs)
Yes that is true and I have yet to think of a counter-argument. There are on the other hand real economical benefits in an ageless society as it would clear most of the nation's public and private spendings in healthcare, which would then lead to money being allocated elsewhere and it would also stop the retards at the EU/ONU from importing africans to replace the ageing workers in europe. There would probably be huge inflation, I can't imagine what a hundreds of years old experienced guy wage would be like but I'm no economist so I'll leave it at that

My dream would be to die at the end of humanity as a species, like know the whole story before you go.

Just to be clear I didn't mean this in a "hope we die off" kinda way but more in a "live millions of years" kind.

>like know the whole story before you go.

It's too late, you already missed a lot of it.

Fuck you, I'd stay with my current gf for as long as it gets.

if a centenarian has most of the mechanisms to be immortal already it might not be a large leap from 120 to 500

we can clone now all we need is conscience transfer

When I use to work as an electrician I would see 60-70 year old guys still hauling ass like a fucking 30 year old. Old fuckers were strong.
This is an jewmerica btw

you fucking brainlet, what could not be desirable about it?
not enjoying your 200 year lifespan? breathe some nitrogen and problem solved, but understand that there are people who don't want to die after having wasted 95% of their lives to sleep, school and work

>like know the whole story before you go.
Well seeing how you weren't around for the beginning I would say that isn't in the cards.

My life certainly is

>we can clone now
no, no we most certainly cannot

cloning way less complex lifeforms with significantly shorter lifespans is not even 1/1,000,000,000,000,000,000th the difficulty of cloning a human properly

Age or expected age of the universe?

>-the institution of marriage will be defunct because nobody will stay married to the same person for more than 100 years.

It already is defunct

Immortality?

Probably not. But extended lifespan ... don't see why not. Get your bio/chem degree and join the effort to make it happen.

define immortality

>immortality
no, immortality isn't even possible within any lifetime it would violate known laws of physics

extremely extended lifespans though? likely but not within this lifetime

Brainlet here, isn't possible to reemplace every neuron with a prosthetics ?

age assuming no proton decay, yes

The career options tangent is wrong and the depression and marriage bits are completely speculative. Try narrowing your answers down to something coherent.

telomeres are the problem, something something virus that injects extra telomere length into your cell

telomeres are one piece of a very large puzzle and nobody knows how big that piece is relative to the others.

important to study? of course
silver bullet? no

youtube.com/watch?v=SRU5keWErVw

the company aubrey de grey works at now claims to have discovered a molecule that can set cells to a post embryonic state that doesn't lead to cancer. i'm very interested in this one

If you're expecting a "swallow this and live forever" pill, probably not.
Your best hope is that medicine improves life expectancy about as fast as you age.
When you're 40 you can expect another 50 years.
When you're 80 you can expect another 25 years.
When you're 120 you can expect another 18 years.

"Living forever" is probably impossible but going well into your 2nd century would suffice -- IF you were healthy right until the end. An extra 60 years isn't an improvement if you spend them in a wheelchair with a catheter, no control of your bowels, and dementia.

I expect the iterative improvement in medicine we've seen to continue at some speed, so from that alone we will get a little older.

Some billionaires will be able to transplant their head to a young and healthy body, which may prolong their lives.The first heart transplant was 50 years ago, the first hand transplant with prolonged success was 20 years ago. Those things already involve nerves and blood vessels and bones in the latter case. If you continue this line at any speed, head transplantation should be there eventually.

I see a chance for soul immortality within many decades if we are lucky and 1-2 centuries if we are not. We would be living in computers than, so we need to be able to extract our minds and build computers that can run them. The number of neurons that can be directly observed at the same time in a given mammal brain doubles every 2 years or so, it kind of follows Moore's law so war. There is already hearing aid that goes directly to the nerves, similar stuff is there in early stages for images, suitable for people that are born without eyes. We have to see where companies like Neuralink will take us. There definitely is a ton of advancement in front of us before we can read and potentially extract a whole mind and we will btw inevitably solve the question of consciousness in the process. Although we are not even close to it today, I don't think it has to remain a sci fi idea forever.

I think it's highly unlikely that non-billionaires like us will get extremely prolonged lives or immortality, we are the last or the second last generation that has to die.

eh, by the time you're doing head transplants you're better off going for a robot body, or going for full on simulation existence with a brain in a jar

>An extra 60 years isn't an improvement if you spend them in a wheelchair with a catheter, no control of your bowels, and dementia.

Depends. Do I get opiates?

>My dream would be to die at the end of humanity as a species
With the way the environment is going, your dream is coming true.

You don't die because because of age, you die because parts of your body end up failing. In theory you could start replacing parts like your heart, limbs, and whatever other organ, however even your neurons and other parts of the brain will begin to wear out, at this point you can upload your consciouns to another brain, or assume that we have the technology to replace neurons, in which case parts of your brain will continue to wear out and be replaced to the point where nothing in you would be originaly human, or you, anymore.

Just because you can mend the nerves between two foreign bodyparts doesn't mean that you can make a robot body that isn't a hellish prison to live in. The body is super fucking complex yet all it takes to grow one is some hamburgers and time.

Your spirit is already immortal, living in the material world after you have ascended to Nirvana is pointless. Just figure out how to be the best you can be as fast as possible and dip out. That's why the good die young.

Define "you"

you can't upload your brain to another one, that would simply copy it, not save it
that's like morons talking about uploading themselves into computers
if we want more lifetime, the first and most important part is to find a solution to the most important problem: the brain aging and eventually malfunctioning
the other organs could be replaced or easily (in comparison) repaired or replaced
btw i'm a brainlet so please let me know if i'm wrong, i am genuinly interested on this subject

At absolute best you could only copy yourself to a computer, that's all your neurons do second to second anyway. It would feel like being transferred but your biological self would still be around.

closing in on my 20s i can already tell (well maybe i'll be too tired later) that i wouldn't mind a couple of extra 100s year just to mess around a bit more.

867 years or something would be great. Study art, philosohpy, maths, change fields every now and then, spend a life time perfecting someting and probably get realy sick of life at the end of it.

>you can't upload your brain to another one, that would simply copy it, not save it

>not understanding MWI effects
>the longest lived version of "you" is always "you"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_suicide_and_immortality

> quantum
Why did a brainlet such as yourself settle here.

You wont have your sub 20 energy past 25 let alone past 100.

>get into a spaceship
>travel close to light speed
>stop millions of years in the future
>you're a literal ape
>get thrown in a zoo

Did you just try and tell people that even though you've yet to expierience life, you know life is great? Did you stumble out of an 80's highscool sitcom? Don't be a stereotype, or you'll only be met with other stereotypes and your tiny slice of life isn't much of a sample size. You're closing in on your 20's. Do you even have bills yet? I mean outside of car insurance, phone bill and what? $400 a month for a room in an apartment? Don't worry friend. You'll end up like the rest of us at some point. Just don't sink as low as this guy
Don't be the idiot that links wiki articles referencing Schrodinger's cat as some kind of proof. Especially when trying to educate someone.

The apes will have taken over the planet, but luckily we'll have exhausted all naturally occuring fossil fuels so they will be just as primitive as us in the 18th century or more

Aahhh the old 17 year old philosopher

yes, but only through our lord and savior Jesus Christ, who has made us free from sin and gives us everlasting life.

Of course.

Just read my books.

>get thrown in a zoo
Or get welfare

Why would people still be magically old aged when we extend human lifespan? Old age IS the infirmities that cause frailty.

Have fun dying

People in health care aren't average.

>tfw you won't make it onto the ARK

Predicted years until immortality is achieved is inversely proportional to the predictor's age.

quite true, but cryonics at some point within 50 years seems pretty reasonable considering how far we've come recently with it.

honestly it's looking like the big problem will be alzheimers because that's still a huge mystery. Immunotherapy will end up being a general technique for getting rid of most cancers so that's not as big of a deal long term

Copy your self to a digital device. The copy/ies can exist forever..

unless you are 5 years old right now, you missed the immortality train

Alzheimer's is caused by herpes

kek

No we didn't.

Having an *average* life span of 20-30 years would be the result of infant mortality and not living until adulthood.

You don't need people to leave the work force in order for other people to get jobs. Having more people automatically creates more jobs. That's the reason why there can be very similar unemployment rates in very different countries. Just compare Estonia with 1.3 million population to China with 1.3 billion population.

This. Progress takes longer than expected, people should just live their lives and be glad it will be a comfier and better life than 100% of our ancestors.

C H E C K E D

Hexaget checked

It's too comfy, now we're just degens.

Go help start a war and fight in it then if your too "comfy"

Yes, but the problem is it's too long for uncivilized people too

>tooth decay leading to loss of teeth.

Ceramic teeth are widely available and frankly better than the real thing. The problem is more likely gum recession.

>alzhiemer's disease

This will be a major issue unless our 'path' to immortality involves a way to regenerate cells that previously don't regenerate, a way to stop cells from 'aging' (or perhaps more specifically to stop DNA from aging) or a way to upload your entire conscious into a USB and plug it into a chadbot-9000

>many of your friends will die 50 years before you, leading to social issues and depression

No one here has friends.

>the institution of marriage will be defunct because nobody will stay married to the same person for more than 100 years.

No one here is getting married.

>economy will face problems because nobody is leaving the work force, meaning there are no new jobs for young people. young people will have to compete with seniors who have 30+ years of industry experience

This is valid. Society would haveto change completely if we could prolong the lives of everyone - but if we're being real, it will be a handful of super rich who are able to live extended lives, 99% of the plebs will die of a normal human age.

>going back to college, trade school, or learning new skills
Learning is fun. Where's the problem?
>tooth decay
Fake teeth. Where's the problem?
>alzhiemer's disease
Brain regeneration. Where's the problem?
>your friends
Lol.
>the institution of marriage
Lmao.
>nobody is leaving the work force
Control the population. Where's the problem?

fake teeths, no friends, no girlfriend, wageslaving forever. I don't get why would anybody live like this forever.

The fuck was Dolly the sheep then? We've cloned cats, dogs, horses, rats and camels, why would humans be an exception?

We can already grow new teeth in rats my implanting stem cell grown tooth buds. We won't need fake teeth.

She'll be saying the same about Jamal.

>24 and feel death encroaching upon me everday

REEEEEEE

DONATE TO SENS

No fuck you I want more

NO

You don't know that yet.

I honestly think whoever is born today just missed it.

Yes but not for you, it will be for the filthy rich who will then go on to form a one world government. These immortals will force you and everyone else below them to work 18 hour shifts of digging pointless holes with no pay, only feeding you a synthetic paste that degrades your dna making you frail, weak and die early.

haha, as if a peasant like you or me could get a chance of immortality, we are bound to wage slave to our own demise.

YES I DO

It's impossible to know if you're actually immortal.