Worldwide Omniforum

Hi Veeky Forums. Long story short I'm looking for a forum. It's not that I expect any of you to be members or to know where one is, but that the people who lurk the kind of forum I have in mind are liable to watch this board.

I expect it would be some kind of obscure invite-only place, but it might just as easily be open to the public and impossible to Google.

In either case, you can make yourself useful by posting an "application" to join this forum, along with why you think you should join. Or optionally, if you feel you would not be useful, why you should not be invited/allowed to join.

My own application will consist of explaining why each of your reasons for exclusion/inclusion are wrong, if so.

Other urls found in this thread:

gowers.wordpress.com/2009/01/27/is-massively-collaborative-mathematics-possible/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I should join because this is not Veeky Forums saged reported hidden called the police called the CIA sent a tweet to Trump

>sent a tweet to Trump
If you'd actually done this, that would be about as much exposure as I care to have right now and I could delete this thread myself. I'm not sure when that window closes though, if you'd rather argue for me to do that.

I would send that to Google career center and their HQ probably. But you know, if you post this kind of thing a lot, they probably already sort of know about you. If they haven't contacted you already and you want them to, I would keep doing what you're doing user and eventually if you're a big enough thorn they'll listen.

>My own application will consist of explaining why each of your reasons for exclusion/inclusion are wrong, if so.

I'm listening.

Thanks for the lead/recommend.

>if you post this kind of thing a lot
My goal is to actually find a place if it exists. It might not, and if it did, searching in all the wrong places wouldn't get me there. (If it doesn't exist, all places are technically not a lead/"the wrong place" to look for one. Heap of zero grains sort of deal.) Basically I/anyone that wants to find it needs to look smarter, not harder.

That shit ain't the matrix.

This shit is schizophrenia.

Start with the Greeks.

As in, "the matrix we use to reason." Learning is just another process, and a fully functioning omniforum would have a keen sense of how and what it can do to increase its userbase without destroying the dynamic.

Most places become shit when they start to think in terms of expanding their userbase because this invariably brings in shit users. And nobody wants to take responsibility for teaching them how to not be shit. It's hard to understand how to grow a site if you don't have a solid understanding of volunteering. /wsr/ by its nature understands this a fair bit better than every other board. Veeky Forums is sort of behind the curve on that angle since this board came embedded with a preexisting interest group.

Any outsider that has to bring attention to themselves in this way in the first place is unwanted.

Monkey-see monkey-do? It would serve you more to count spiders.

Ding ding ding ding.

what you are looking for probably exists as an irc.

Depends entirely on what you see and do. Or monkey-sees/does.
IRC is terrible for organizing information, especially on the scale I'm talking about. Chatrooms tend to me more useful for steering the culture of a given host site than anything else. We wouldn't need to rely on a chat to cultivate the necessary dynamic since it's part-and-parcel of the whole purpose of the forum.

>I'm looking for a forum
You should make the forum yourself. It could be just like "massively collaborative mathematics" (1), except with topics in news, politics and economics.
>I expect it would be some kind of obscure invite-only place, but it might just as easily be open to the public and impossible to Google.
It doesn't need to be. Publicity through Google can be a good thing so long as there is an application process like you describe.

Also, don't listen to the sagers: econometrics and game theory are related to Science & Math.

1: gowers.wordpress.com/2009/01/27/is-massively-collaborative-mathematics-possible/

I like the way you think, except for this:
>actual policy makers

Nothing wrong with a little game theory/statistical modeling, but the idea isn't to rely on policy makers for anything. The fact is, I feel that the world adapts too slowly, and I can't be the only one who feels there's a better way. But it does require information, which requires an intensely lucid mind, and seeing past all the claptrap that's already out there to pretend to meet this goal does benefit immensely from having a community to discuss it with. On its own, these feelings can lead to bitterness and becoming jaded, but if there were a communal outlet it could become a highly constructive thing.

>support like research projects
That is absolutely a part of it. Trying to become advocates for every new idea would just make us futurists, so if we can instead push things forward so the people who are actually working on creating these things can do so more effectively, that serves our interests as well as theirs.

My own idea for the application process would be to write an essay about why you think the world is not ideal, and why you think you can help push things in a more constructive direction. We'd have to fiddle with the phrasing a bit, since we don't want to create an unconscious bias towards people who are more willing to toot their own horn. I wouldn't even necessarily see a need to use invites or moderation, just names/identities, so people who don't make an introduction essay will be ignored by the community. Social ostracization is far more effective at getting people to give up than fiddling with IP addresses and emails is.
>don't listen to
That's never a valid answer though. You have to understand why people are like this or you're not really solving any problem. In this case I did sort of snub Veeky Forums's core userbase as not being on this level already, and it's not unrealistic to expect some level of hostility because of it. Nobody wants to entertain an asshole.

This is some Bourbaki secret group/psychohistory level shit. I like it. Are you mainly politically or scientifically motivated?

Ran up against the character limit in my last post, but thanks for the lead. I'll look into it probably later today.

As far as making it myself, I'm not sure there's enough utility for it. If there's nobody the world over (who can readily be found to be relevant) who's interested in this other than me, that is, if there's not enough movement to sustain the boot trajectory, I don't think it's actually worth mine or anyone else's time. As I said in the OP on /wsr/, it needs to be at least as large as /x/ or it can't be useful. The "leave if it's not fun" meme on Veeky Forums is correct in the sense that the entire internet is composed of voluntary activity. The moment you introduce a power structure (for banning), you begin the process of slowly degenerating people's willingness to bother contributing. Top-down culture management never works, so the place needs to be large enough to sustain its memetic immune system to be resistant to raids and other derail-class cybernetic phenomena.

Yes, that's definitely relevant. I felt the Bureau of Memetic warfare had potential, but if all it has is potential, then it's just contributing to the infinite dilution problem that 8ch*n already suffers from.

To answer your question, neither. I feel like both science and politics move too slowly. It's not that I expect them to go faster; I realize the only way they can actually go faster is if there's more resources to go around. Government, I don't want it to go faster. I want it to back up and streamline itself for what it can actually accomplish rather than trying to pander to unreasonable ideals that we cannot, at this time, achieve, on a technological level. Technology itself stopped evolving as soon as we had PDAs. It's become more refined and efficient, but not more useful.

I'll admit I've often fantasied about being a consultant on a number of diverse scientific and other research projects, but no matter how much I can do, it's still a gamble for everyone else.

Alright, so I've looked into it.

The basic problem with collaborative problem solving is one of communication; a sufficiently equipped database—or even a more intuitive or interactive WolframAlpha-like site—would allow someone to rapidly iterate through brainstorming exercises and weed out false approaches easily. It's not that the people involved in the process are special in the sense that their creative uniqueness moves the network forward, but in that they all allow you to prune the tree of your branching creative process more than your natural pace of thinking does. This serves to help you learn faster, but you learning is not always the answer.

Mathematics, at least as far as that author has described it, does not, in general, benefit from communal brainstorming. Each step in the reasoning process is built on all the steps before it, and a thousand novices or experts will fare no better than a mere handful of experts. This is especially problematic in mathematics, where the operating thought process that allows one to make a breakthrough involves a total gestalt understanding; that is, nobody can complete the picture without subsuming the entire body of crowdsourced knowledge.

This is not to say that it can't work or that it would not be fun for the people participating; it very well can and would be. I'm only saying that it can never be more optimal at arriving at advancing solutions than personal research is.

Have you researched Agoras/Tau? There's at least one person trying to solve this problem of scaling human collaboration.

>problem of scaling
Humans auto-organize. I noticed this in my teens, when I was perplexed with the sheer efficiency at which people were able to communicate with one another. It was symbiotic in ways that I didn't have the information theory at the time to recognize.

Misperception of purpose erodes networks of communication/collaboration. This is why rules are created, why admins turn sour, and sites and social groups are ultimately abandoned. Not everyone is equally skillful in all fields of communication, and because of this, not everyone can fully understand the people who are naturally expert communicators. The forum is not so important on its own as the willingness to form and maintain it for a time is. The moment people have that atmosphere, the moment they have that nostalgia, such a forum becomes immortal and recurrent, but suffers innumerable dormancy periods. My purpose posting on Veeky Forums was to get a measure of how close we are to the first recurrence.

Even if this forum doesn't exist yet, I haven't failed to make use of it. Tau-Chain, then, by process of elimination, must be doing something else.

I would like to do something to help create this kind of place if it doesn't already exist, but everything requires careful coordination and a ton of dubious gambits.

I want to say something about what types of topics would be discussed, but everything that comes to mind would just sound overly idealistic since there's no preexisting establish basis for a casual reader to understand that everything is a longer term goal. It doesn't matter when the things we discuss happen, just that we're prepared to handle them effectively when they do pop up in the ever-evolving world.

Some processes work better with explicit selection than selective rejection.

The jews already have this, expect it's not just a forum. Also, nobody wants retards from Veeky Forums

Well, it looks like Veeky Forums is full of history buffs, and not actual historians.

Now I see why this hasn't taken off yet prior to my asking if it exists.

People still model/think the universe is a control structure, when it's not. Unless history is heavy with time travel.

My life has basically been one long series of Google searches for things that don't exist yet. Obviously such a forum would have to hide in a sense to stop itself from being overrun by /pol/ and the like, so it's impossible to Google for that reason alone.

Case in point:

Awesome. Let's see if we can't create a circular dependency.

Haha, excellent. I just had the perfect idea.

If the name field IS the password field, then user posters are literally giving their password by not taking up a tripcode/filterable identity. I can literally start this up and not pay any attention to it until it takes off. People could take it and do what they will, and they'd have all the tools they need to manage its culture themselves.

The key to finding a place like this, now that I've taken the time to try to find it, is to think like an admin, design the ideal site for what you envision such a forum would look like, and then never compromise on any of your design goals. The moment you compromise, the original purpose and your goal for the atmosphere of such a site is lost. If you can't find a site that matches your design goals, your only real option is just to make it and see what happens.

I mean unless you can predict and understand the demographic qualities of the entire rest of the internet, having already been a part of many different types of internet communities in your time. In that case you don't even need to make the site to see what will happen; you can already predict the outcome of any recruitment/advertising campaign and field-test it in advance. Setting up a website is trivial anyway, so actually doing it really is just an afterthought.

bump

Huh.

I just realized that it isn't actually my moral responsibility to help unlearned self-entitled idiots try to make the world a better place. This concept can never actually go viral except among the subsect of the population that seeks to enact it.

I've been doing this all wrong. I shouldn't be looking for _users_, I should be looking for COMMUNITIES that actually exhibit enough potential to be actively worth recruiting from. Veeky Forums is obviously already a valid candidate.