Does quantum mechanics imply free will?

Does quantum mechanics imply free will?

study the material and answer this question for yourself cunt.

I choose to believe that every reality happens and we naturally experience the one path that lasts the longest

why on earth would it

Of course not, free will would require literal magic. There's no physical system, even a theoretical one, which could explain its existence.

It doesn't matter if free will exists because your subjective experience is one of agency.
Stop looking for reasons to not take responsibility for you shitty brainlet NEET life.
Philosophy belongs on Veeky Forums.

It implies that the universe is not absolutely deterministic. Laplace's Demon cannot exist.

No.

>he's a materialist

Why?

>he's a pragmatist

No, but the inverse may be true, depending on how you formulate free will.

You're making assumptions of what a physical system must be. Basically Newtonian Mechanics. Silly.

>quantum mechanics
Not a science.

even if the world were perfectly explained by newtonian mechanics, that still wouldn't disprove ""free will"". there's no purpose to thinking about it, because it is actually impossible to know regardless of the information we can attain

also according to all of modern psychology, almost everything we do is either genetics or environmental statistically speaking; so it's bizarre to even mention free will like it would matter if it were a thing

I don't know if the ability to predict what someone will do disproves freewill. Freewill isn't synonomous with unpredictability.

If you have [math]10^{23}[/math] particles together at room temperature, you've lost basically all of the quantum mechanical effects. They've been smoothed out to alter the classical nature to one part in millions or billions.

So I'd say regardless of whether or not free will exists, quantum mechanics has basically nothing to do with it.

does a mathematical model, based on an axiomatic system, that has predictive power in certain energy/distance ranges (as ling as the system isnt too complicated) imply an ill-defined concept about a completely different poorly understood system?

yes but approximating a human brain as a room is inaccurate.

That's clearly not what I was saying.

quantum mechanical effects are significant within cells. i would not be surprised if quantum mechanical effects within large emsembles of brain cells contribute to its ovrall function

>quantum mechanical effects are significant within cells
Define precisely what you mean by "significant" and provide peer reviewed research to back that claim up.

Measurable is not the same as significant.

i suppose not everything, but anything on the molecular scale, like transcription/translation takes place at scales where qm is relevant

Apart from the abstract notion that quantum mechanics determines all things in nature, I disagree with this claim. Even the original quantum physicist, Schrodinger, argued that hereditary information in the cells (and the process by which it is manipulated and replicated) must be robust to the fluctuations present in the quantum theory of the atom. This is necessary to ensure it as a stable molecule within the cell. He outlines this reasoning and uses it to derive claims about the structure of the "genetic molecule" in his book "What is Life."

Geneticists agree. Cellular machinery works because of differences in chemical potential and protein gradients. These things are robust to local density/temperature fluctuations caused by thermal physics, which are much larger than those caused by quantum mechanics at temperature scales relevant to the functioning of biological matter.

This.

To further drive in my point, my partner is a researcher in the field of genetics and evolutionary developmental biology. I myself research things related to quantum field theory, in particular the structure of the vacuum at finite temperature. Believe me when I say that there is no meaningful overlap between our fields.

Quantum mechanics is confusing, and the human brain is confusing, but this is no indication they are related.

There are quantum effects at the protein level. The only reason your partner does not bother with them is because they are too hard to calculate. But yes, quantum mechanics effects things like cell regulation. One of the big benefits universal quantum computers will bring is the ability to better model and predict drug interactions because the quantum considerations are so computationally expensive. Look into it.