Unprofessionalism in Academia

twitter.com/SPVLABS/status/969387714540916737

This twitter thread contains a stunning display of academic misbehavior. I will summarize the findings here.

Basically two authors Pawan Setlur and Muralidhar Rangaswamy write a criticism of a 2013 paper by Augosto Aubry, Antonio DeMaio, and Alfanso Farina. Their paper can be found on dtic:

dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/1047014.pdf

It was briefly on the arxiv but removed due to unprofessional personal attack:

arxiv.org/abs/1802.06043

It is not uncommon in the academic world to write tactfully stated comments on papers. However, these two guys go balls to the wall and shit all over the 2013 paper. Notably, they cite the "Kruger-Dunning effect" and basically call these guys incompetent. Here are some lines from the paper:

"Incompetence must be treated as an affliction. With this being said, our intention here is not to criticize the peer researchers in [2], but rather shine the torch on their 'affliction'."

"...readily apparent to any optimization novice"

"Unlike the authors of [2], we see no point in reinventing the wheel!"

"These arguments we make are self-evident to any optimization amateur, but unfortunately not to the authors of [2]."

"It would be useful for the authors of [2] to read them diligently before resorting to cherry picking facts and making flawed claims."

"T. Rochafeller, or W. Fenchel or R. Bellman would be fuming at this rookie error!"

"We aren't sure if the authors of [2] proved the monotone convergence theorem for the first time. If indeed this is true, we are terribly apologetic!"

"How can anyone justify these ridiculous claims?"

"It does not take a genius to figure this!"

"... there is no incentive for the community to use, or cite, or read [1] or [2]."

Have you ever seen anything like this???

Other urls found in this thread:

arxiv.org/abs/1802.06043
docslide.net/documents/comment-on-a-paper-by-samir-chatterjee.html
vixra.org/abs/1712.0598
2occatl.net/1712.0598v2.pdf
drive.google.com/file/d/1sXrFZhMo9OjoauL0SgAvpSxD_8qaAYi0/view?usp=sharing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Are they right? If they are right, this should be encouraged. Academia is a house of cards and 90% of "research" is shit people push out in hopes of tricking institutions to give them tenure.

I think Aubry had sex with Rangaswamy's wife

>arxiv.org/abs/1802.06043

It's called peer review

if you're a moron you deserve to be called a moron.

I'm ok with this.

I've learned the most from professors who don't hesitate to call me an idiot. It's healthy.

This is the sort of stuff why academics aren't taken seriously by industry professionals (though it's mostly the glacial timescales for research and lack of accountability)

The authors are fucking based. It's like watching Gordon Ramsay tear into a smartass line cook who thinks he's hot shit.

i agree that people should be called out, but this is kind of over the top.

The flawed papers have been cited over 100 times. That's thousands of man hours spent building off of wrong information to generate more wrong info.

greentexting lel

>Have you ever seen anything like this???

Have you ever read anything Heaviside wrote?

>AIR FORCE RESEARCH LABORATORY
what does Veeky Forums think about this organization?

It's nothing new,

docslide.net/documents/comment-on-a-paper-by-samir-chatterjee.html

>authors in question assert that someone else's novel work is "just a specific case of our previous results" when it's obviously not, and when their own results aren't even correct
>authors in question believe they invented the monotone convergence theorem for the first time, and accused others of plagiarizing their work for not citing it
If anything, the unprofessional conduct was by Aubry et al.
After a point, "you honestly don't know what you're talking about" is the only way to resolve such disputes, and the scientific community has to step in and confirm it's really based on incompetence. If you give too weak or passive of a critique, the notion that you're guilty of the misconduct you've been accused of can spread.

no, link to some highlights?

Better than Harvard.

what do you mean? one is a university and one is a govt lab so that's a strange comparison

We have gotten a lot of cool medical shit from the military but overall govt research is a meme

sounds like it could have all been excerted from my book which was not allowed on arXiv

>The General Relevance of the Modified Cosmological Model
MIRROR 1: vixra.org/abs/1712.0598
MIRROR 2: 2occatl.net/1712.0598v2.pdf
MIRROR 3: drive.google.com/file/d/1sXrFZhMo9OjoauL0SgAvpSxD_8qaAYi0/view?usp=sharing

I sent that guy's email contacts an email that said "i'm gay" after he left his email logged in. I assume he sent an email saying someone else did it. I got a laugh out of it but I could tell it made the guy mad and he did not think it was funny. I think he told on me to the teacher for it. I never did that to someone again.

oops

>If you give too weak or passive of a critique, the notion that you're guilty of the misconduct you've been accused of can spread.
yes

Bump

Acadamia is dominated by cucks.

This.

One of my professors was a grad student at a big university for geology when the plate tectonic theory was becoming more commonly accepted (a lot more recently than you would imagine). During the 70s the evidence had become pretty overwhelming, but a lot of people had put decades of their lives into research that didn't fall in line with the theory. Apparently there were a few first fights at conferences and a few suicides. It would be hard to imagine working on research for decades then being told it's all wrong and you basically have to start over at the grad student level.

Holy quack, one of my former supervisors publishes very very very bad science regularly and he even got professorship recently. We're talking about omitting controls, ignoring data, blatant logic flaws, rookie level mistakes, serious technical error, and the like. Academia had died.

identifying the root cause of the rabid attacks against anyone who doesn't blindly support the notion of manmade global warming

>rabid attacks against anyone who doesn't blindly support the notion of manmade global warming

Academia is dead. It will die. Liars will be put out to roost.