Good morning, Veeky Forums

Good morning, Veeky Forums.
So, Jupiter's "surface" is a apparently a sea of liquid hydrogen. When I heard this, I got to thinking if there is really such thing as a true gas planet? Or are all gas planets just aquatic planets with very large, dense atmospheres?

On a side note. If we sent down, say, a metal ball that was heavy enough to resist being tossed around by the force of Jupiter's winds, as well as being dense enough to penetrate its liquid interior, would it fall straight to the core?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/amp/s/amp.space.com/39648-juno-completes-tenth-jupiter-flyby.html
fastcodesign.com/1672039/gorgeous-new-planets-nope-just-frying-pans
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

We call it a pass giant because the planets mostly composed of gas, like helium, hydrogen, and other light, not metallic elements.
The only reason they have liquid or solid cores is due to the extreme pressures in the core

>Actually believing a ball of gas can exist in a vacuum without equilibrating with the vacuum. Show a scientific experiment that can prove this phenomenon otherwise it's fantasy.

>liquid hydrogen
oh it gets darker Morty, try liquid diamond

>what is gravity
>how are stars formed

jesus dude

Gas giants prove that gravity doesn't exist in a vacuum,you can't have a gas existing in a vacuum, it will spread out and reach a state of equilibrium due to the laws of thermodynamics, this means something had to make or put Jupiter in it's place, just things NASA refuses to tell you...

And what do you think "put" it there?

God?

So is God still holding it in place? Is he holding Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune in place, too? Along with every other gas planet in the universe? What exactly is the point of that? Why have gas planets at all?

yes

God is omnipotent, God works in mysterious ways

How do you actually they're made of gas?

*know

I think the historical categorization into "Earth-like" planets, "gas giants" and "ice giants" is more cultural than scientific in the current day.

How can you say that? Planetary and lunar orbits are evidence of gravity existing within a vacuum. If gravity could not exist in a vacuum, Earth would have no atmosphere and the universe would essentially be one gigantic asteroid field. Earth technically exists within the vacuum of space, and we can clearly see the effects of gravity upon it.

They aren't completely made of gas; that's what I'm trying to argue. Beyond its rocky, carbon-laden core, Jupiter is primarily composed of ammonia, hydrogen, and helium, which exist in different states of matter depending on the distance from the core and, conversely, their density.

Exactly, the development is planetary is based in cultural phenomena, social constructs that determine "planetary compositions" are extremely unfair, and define a period of white dominated scientific imperialism, this bias of whiteness in the field of science has allowed them to develope arbitrary and biased viewpoints where white male scientists classify planets in ethno-divergent groups based on their inherent cultural and social bias.
The implicit bias if white scientists allowed bigoted social concepts such as "planetary categorization" to permeate, and become commonplace

I already explained myself, you need to fuck off douche, I told you morons why you're wrong, and why we live in universe with an atmosphere
Fuck you

>rocky core
doubt, it's gas so dense it behaves like a solid (mostly hydrogen)
strawman harder

Lol ur good at taking the joke retard

You talk as though you've actually been there. Is what you're saying a belief or a fact?

so fahnny joke haha

No, I mean the gas giants and ice giants having been named such when there wasn't detailed information about their composition available.

I haven't been there, but probes have, and they've detected these gases (as well as some trace elements) within Jupiter, and no solid surface has been detected beyond the presumed core. The very nature of these gases gives way to our present model of Jupiter. When you take these atoms in their gaseous state and compress them relative to the core, they condense. I haven't been there, but an educated guess is a better answer than a cop out answer like "God did it" or simply being happy with ignorance. Who knows? Maybe God did do it. But until we jump to that conclusion, we should look at other alternatives. Okham's Razor isn't always the best solution.

So it's a belief or a fact?

Also, these probes you speak of were sent in the early 70s, how'd they manage to detect these elements and send this data back over such a vast distance? It's absurd, particularly considering the primitive computer technology back then.

google.com/amp/s/amp.space.com/39648-juno-completes-tenth-jupiter-flyby.html

From February 10th, 2018. Probe was launched in 2011

It's so cute you actually believe this is a real photograph.

Amazing how this probe never needs maintenance, and that it's able to send high res photos that are perfectly framed over 500 million miles away.

Jupiter probably doesn't have a "surface" in the sense that you could walk on it.
It just gets denser and denser as you go down, changing phase to a liquid, a solid, and maybe even a metal.

Ever see supercritical water? As the pressure rises the density difference between the liquid and vapor phases diminishes. Above the critical pressure, the interface simply disappears. You can't say "it becomes a liquid HERE!"

There are almost certainly atoms other then hydrogen and helium at the core, but we'll never see them.

Your ball wouldn't make it that far. At some point the surrounding material would become denser than lead or platinum or osmium and the probe would just float at that level. Even while it was still falling, the viscosity would be immense and the drop would be incredibly slow.

Clearly been pasted in

Huh, neat!

Thanks, that’s all I wanted to know. Not sure where all the conspiracy theorists came from.

The only substance dense enough to drop all the way to Jupiter's core is whatever's inside the skull of the asshole who posts
and other shit all over Veeky Forums

And equilibrium for a gas in vacuum is when the pressure of the gas matches the gravity of the gas on itself. Gravity pulls it together, pressure pushes it apart. When these are the same: equilibrium.

For any collective mass of gas significantly smaller than a planet, gravity won't be strong enough. For larger masses of gas however, there is plenty of gravity to bring the gas together into a ball.

You want proof? Air pressure decreases as altitude increases. This is because all the gas is compacted close to Earth's surface, due to gravity.

This poster probably has a PhD so listen to them.

To add to this, if you were floating around in space with bad diarrhoea and you started expelling gases, you would eventually create a gas planet if you expelled enough methane from one's anus. Pretty cool, huh?

Pasted into what? A black background full of nothing? Are you proposing someone somewhere made an image, either through traditional art styles or digital, and then pasted it onto a black canvas instead of just painting it onto a black canvas from the start?

You don't even know what jpeg artifacts are.. You lack even basic common knowledge at this point.

Everything stated in the post you replied to is basic high school physics. No PhD necessary. And it would take such a long time to expel that much gas through a hole the size of an anus...

Those are some very interesting JPEG artifacts. It's also not just that, it's the fact there's half a "planet" showing, is Jupiter a semi-sphere? Amazing.

It’s called a different perspective, retard. Jupiter is not a fucking semisphere. How do you people function in life when you’re so fucking skeptical and in denial about the world around you?

These were taken by other probes, real to you?

Where are the stars btw? :^)

That's Neptune and Venus.

>Where are the stars?
The stars are very dim compared to the planets in the center of focus. To see the stars you need a camera with a high exposure. If you maximize to see the exposure in planet photos then the image is completely ruined.

arent those pots? I recall the were made to fool people into believeing they were planets

Nah they're real

wait, found a source.

fastcodesign.com/1672039/gorgeous-new-planets-nope-just-frying-pans

They're real you conspiracy brainlet, get over it

All of the images except the mid-left one are fake. The one on the mid-left is Europa

Oh yeah that one's definitely real

How bout this?

Yeah that's Saturn

Here's Saturn from a high-powered telescope. You'll notice the similarity between this photo and the official ones provided by Cassini.

Welcome to the real world, time to get off the computer.

No that's fake, this is a real photo

kek good one

You realize we've had the ability to project holograms for years, right?

Fuck.
You know what, I feel if we checked under there something would be swimming.

>oh it gets darker Morty, try liquid diamond
Oh Jeez! Rick!
Oh Man! Oh Jeez!

Planets are Social Constructs.

I can call Pluto a planet because otherwise it hurt muh feelings, it's make Pluto sad,

Pluto is a very emotionally sensitive planet who identifies himself as a Genderfluid Transgender Kawaii Planet with a feminine penis.

Jupiter by other hand represents the Patriarchy and Misogyny Neo Nazi fascists. Since Jupiter was a Greek White Male God. Urgh. Jupiter isn't a planet for me because it hurt muh feelings.

Agree with me and don't be a Neo Nazi fascist bigot.

Are you the guy who says rockets can't work in space because there's nothing for them to push against?

Is that Milkdrop? Looks like one of nitorami's presets.

>Amazing how this probe never needs maintenance
You're aware it's currently sitting in a less than ideal orbit exactly because it can't receive maintenance, aren't you?

>perfectly framed
>use optical sensors to find the biggest, bright thing in the vicinity
>point camera at it
>autofocus has been a thing for decades
>take many shots
>stitch shots together
Woah, high resolution!

>70% of Earth doesn't have a "surface" in the sense that you could walk on it.
what do we call a liquid-gas boundary

feeding trolls is like feeding bears. Don't, please.

Supercritical fluids don't have a liquid-vapor boundary. See how the dividing line just stops at the critical point.

Good job.
But you don't need autofocus and probes don't have it. Not when a "close up" of something is still kilometers distant.

If you shine a light beam in some direction, it disperses as it travels. The same applies to a laser, the only exception being a laser that's already as wide as the universe.

So how much data is lost over 500 billion miles? Are they receiving raw high res photos or lossy compressions?

Way more than 70% of the earth has a walkable surface. There's a solid floor at the bottom of the sea.

Point taken, nitpicker. :)
But the core of Jupiter isn't quite the same thing. You'd have to actively fight your way down against buoyancy and staggering pressure.

I imagine they don't use lossy compression. Silly to spend all that money to put your best sensors on the spot and then cover everything with JPG artifacts.
Transmitting half a billion miles is not a problem. You just have to accept a slow data rate.
New Horizons went past Pluto and its moons in a couple of hours. Took a few weeks to send back low-res data (just in case the probe failed) and then about a year to re-transmit everything in high-res.

man came from under water

use this image in referance

the explosion happened

sent out the planets all in the solar system

but the whole time

we are all just little magnetic bubbles

inside of which is all that exists

the gas and condensation made water in the magnetic bubble filling it thusly

now full of water the bubble floats

matter flew into the water

got caught in the magnetic field

the magnetism it self reacted to the new matter