What would represent a larger total social...

What would represent a larger total social, economic and scientific effort - sending a sustainably large group of colonists to a stellar system, say, 50 light years away or reshaping Mars/Venus/asteroids/moons into a bunch of pleasant little Earth clones?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_gravity
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

That's an interesting question. One of the more reasonable ones I've seen on Veeky Forums.
You can't lump all those bodies together. Different techniques and time scales for each.

However, if an interstellar slowboat moved at, say, 2 percent of lightspeed, 50 LY is 2500 years of travel. I've no idea what our capabilities will be in 2500 years. Could Pericles have imagined our civilization? I believe some things, like FTL travel, will always be impossible but short of that I wouldn't know where to put the limits on what can be done.
I'd say we could terraform Mars before 4500 AD -- provided we have the incentive to expend the resources AND we don't wipe ourselves out first.

>sending a sustainably large group of colonists to a stellar system, say, 50 light years away
You should define better large and sustainable in terms of numbers.
And there is also the minor problem we don't have such technology in the slightest, so how could you evaluate it?

Okay, I'll narrow the terms of the thought experiment.

Let's say a near-perfect exoplanet is discovered orbiting Nu2 Lupi, a sunlike star 48 light years away, and 4,000 people are sent there to strike up camp.

Or alternatively, to geoengineer another Earth in our own solar system, be it a terraformed Venus or Mars or even an entirely new planet built "from scratch" and NOT an life-support dependent cylinder station. Basically a place that should remain habitable to humans in regular clothes for millions of years without any further terraforming input.

The point I'm getting at is, given the absurd stellar distances, is making other Earths simpler than reaching them?

Alpha/Proxima Centauri vs Mars.

Those stars are close enough to get to in a few generations.

Making Oneil cylinders at earth moon Lagrange points is the simplest solution.

Yeah, but an Oneill cylinder isn't truly habitable, it requires constant maintenance and resupply. In theory a terraformed planet should be as "naturally" habitable as Earth is

Those cylinders wouldn't be more life-support dependent then living on a planet is. Instead of getting your ressources from other parts of your planet, you would get it from asteroids. This actually has several advantages compared to earth.

If you want to live in a place that is identical to earth, why not stay at earth?

It would also be under 100% human control in every aspect including gravity. You could increase or decrease it as you like, and natural disasters or anything can't happen there.

>let's just conveniently ignore lacking gravity for human physiology, lacking gravity for an atmosphere and lacking magnetosphere for an atmosphere

Also by the time we're able to terraform planets we'll be so advanced that we don't have to choose between terraforming and interstellar travel anymore.

More likely we'll hang around the asteroid belt in rotating rings and do some robotic mining.

Building a generation ship would probably be not very expensive and if we assume that we can build nuclear fusion-based engines you could reach that star in roughly 400-500 years.

Terraforming would take millenias so you would be quicker going to the earth twin.

Going all the road and then realizing it's not habitable for some reason would probably suck though.

Proxima B Could be tidally locked. Mars could support life even today.

>Which is harder?
>Terraforming Mars or Venus
>Colonizing of Proxima Centauri
At a constant acceleration of 0.01g, it would take 40 years to reach Proxima Centauri (4.24 Light Years). The main problem with this is engineering a propulsion system capable of such a feat.

According to Chris McKay, it would take 100,000 years to completely terraform Mars.

g-force is not gravity.

>g-force is not gravity
Then what is it? Density? (Which is a property of Gravity)

Density is a property of an object, not gravity.

Dense objects exert more Gravity. High School Physics. Look up Black Holes.

>BUT I'M JUST A BRAINWASHED SHEEPLE!!!1!

>reshaping Mars/Venus/asteroids/moons into a bunch of pleasant little Earth clones?

Sending colonists away would be super cheap and economical compared to terraforming anything ever.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_gravity
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force

Heavy objects exert more gravity. Doesn't matter how dense they are beyond slight differences in surface gravity.

>sending a sustainably large group of colonists to a stellar system, say, 50 light years away or reshaping Mars/Venus/asteroids/moons into a bunch of pleasant little Earth clones

Space opera shit.

We (meaning the future merger of humanity and AI) will preserve our solar system for nostalgic purposes, but reconfigure all non-ET life sustaining systems into Matrioschka Brains for the sustenance of countless virtual humans...unless or until such time as we can create our own universes and do a giant human species data dump into it (like all the other ET species who beat us did).

Please stop wasting time on horseshit Star Trek/Star Wars fantasies. Pay attention in class, this is where things are actually going.

>it requires constant maintenance and resupply.
Maintenance yes, but no so much if it's well built, and since it's inhabited why that should be a problem?
About resupply, theoretically it should be a closed world.
In practice there is bound to be a very small air leakage, also dependent on the technology used.
Since nitrogen and oxygen are easy to get if you have that level of development it shouldn't be a problem to replenish them regularly.