Scientific autism vs normiedom

Does scientific pursuit come at the cost of personal life?

I'm just a first year student and a lazy ass one at that, but since I've taken an interest to a specific topic, it seems I've had to become hugely more organized and immensively stricter about what I can allow my time to be spent on.

In addition to the question of time, there also seems to be the question of mindset. If I, for example, chose to be social and date girls often and all that crap, it seems it would be really hard to shift between the normie shit and scientific pursuit. In that unless I went pretty much like 90% autistic, I wouldn't be able to sit down and thoughtfully read all the books and articles on the subject I need in order to develop a level of understanding that is necessary for any scientific accomplishment in that area. Not because I didn't have the time, but because my mind would be constantly wandering off and generally not giving a shit about boring research because I let normie wants and needs cobble themselves a corner or two in my head.

Anyone else experienced this kind of corssroads feeling? What did you do? How'd it go, any regrets?

Pic unrelated.

Bump you faggots, you KNOW this is an issue. Come out of your denial.

I don't know about you, but I spend the semester learning at full capacity, master the subject, ace the exams, then spend all the free time smoking weed and eating shitty food with my friend.

I tried to concentrate 100% on my studies, but I found the burnout was inevitable and would lower my productivity so much that it wouldn't even make sense not to do drugs anymore.

Now I'm in some sort of an equilibrium. Caffeine pills for the whole semester, and then weed and benzos outside. Still the best, still a virgin.

this dichotomy is written into our very souls and as such is immutable
you better say goodbye to your happy life, kid
it's nothing but Hell from here on out

i think the best way to think about it is you still eat, shit, suffer and die. Doesn't really matter, just relax. Go full sperg and don't look back.

I haven't had a friend since middle school. Never had a girlfriend and certainly never had sex. I've worked a grand total of 3 jobs and not one of them was for more then a month. Then I started studying mathematics, and here I am.

This is definitely a problem, and I think you put it really well.

The way I've tried to confront it is to form a greater context within which I can place both in, so a pursuit of one benefits the other at least to a small extent. This is much easier with social science, so if you really value both is invest there

I'd* invest

The physicists I have met have essentially committed their lives to physics. Its not surprising. Most scientists consider their field a passion. That passion takes precedence over normie stuff. Its like that for any passion not just science

If you arent passionate to the point that giving up normiedom is easy, Id say give research a pass and go into industry

My problem isn't a lack of passion. That I have plenty. My problem is that I've missed out on life until very recently when things suddenly turned for the better and now I get attention from girls. The tear to both directions is huge.

I know exactly what you mean.

Well what I can tell you is that logically, its better to do something productive even if its not the same visceral, personal satisfaction that youll get from girls and friends.

Humans are wired to get great pleasure from women and normie stuff. Its shallow pleasure, most who can get it do chase it.

No one can blame you for choosing normie stuff. Selfish satisfaction is a POWERFUL force.

So the obvious answer is to stay as dedicated to science as you can while still being personally satisfied enough on other fronts. Know that the more you taste of normielife, the more youll hunger. Its hard to balance the two.

Einstein said that happiness in life should be achieved through goals not people.

If you are still prenormie stage, I advise you to keep it that way. Once you unleash the visceral satisfactions, its hard to manage them.

Congrats OP you just unleashed an unsolvable and perpetually tormenting can of worms. This will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Sucks to examine life, doesnt it? Well, at least by philosophizing on life you are already leaps ahead of your first year peers.

You know that scientist that you look up to? The one with a Nobel prize who's regarded as the best in the field? 95% chance it's a guy with a wife. 80% chance he tripped on acid in the 70/80s and travelled all over going to conferences as a grad student/postdoc doing little but drinking and chatting up undergrads.

It's life man no one is 100% focused on their job even the most autismo.

You sound just like me, except the virgin part. It's not hard man, comon. Just talk to a girl you like.

I've also tripped in acid and could easily attract a stable partner. The problem is that now that life's window has opened, there's this huge yearning to explore and indulge. I want to try all the girls and get a social life going. At the same time I really want to delve into science.

The existential question is: should you even try to manage them? I'd wager more enjoyment and satisfaction would come from unleashing them.

>I want to try all the girls and get a social life going. At the same time I really want to delve into science.
Mate you can do it. The two aren't mutually exclusive. I'm working as a post-doc in a physics department of a different country and I did all sorts of shit in my undergrad. I still do. Undergrad doesn't count for shit as long as you get the bare minimum mark for what you want to do.

>brainlet advice
Seriously, Ive only heard this advice from underachievers.

Again, logically no. The sensible answer is to stay on the scientific pursuit track. Personal visceral satisfaction is illogical. Its unreasonable. But humans have strong urges for it.

Bro the real rainbow pill is appreciating the many worthwhile pursuits in life.

This. Muslim here.

We are taught to avoid all sex, masturbaition, drugs, back biting and stuff. Its literally all fleeting, all pointless.

Go out and have all of that if you want. But dont be mad when youre wife is a slut whose been glazed more than donuts at a grand opening of a crispy creme.

Focus on your education and work out/do martial arts for yourself as a release.

Dont be a pothead loser, dont do amphetamines, etc.

Religion is one of those wasteful satisfactions. It's worse than that, religion is an impediment to productivity. Religion churns out a bunch of anti-science, anti-intellectual tards.

>We are taught to avoid all sex, masturbaition, drugs, back biting and stuff.

Uhhh. Not really what I had in mind.

Everyone needs some level of masturbation/sex. Drugs can be fucked off but there's no reasonable way to rid yourself of sexuality. The issue comes fromhow dangerous one's sexuality is. There's a difference between people who have sex to release themselves and people who have sex to cultivate useless emotional urges -like someone who has sex for their self worth.

Also Islam is rectionary as fuck so fuck that

>Religion churns out a bunch of anti-science, anti-intellectual tards.

No it doesn't.

>Everyone needs some level of masturbation/sex.

No they don't.

>people who have sex to release themselves

Are brainlets

>reactionary
bourgeoisie judo-liberal detected

reddit spacing

>Does scientific pursuit come at the cost of personal life?
No, this is what reddit tells itself to justify its autism

Didn't read thread but you can definitely be multi dimensional man. Your struggle like you said is in the dedication, but trust me it will go up when you diversify. If you are apt for shenanigans you will have the opportunities even if it's not your dedication. Take a shit fun elective every third semester and make some party friends. But really unless you have dad money you won't be able to have good friends and do good stuff so your fate may already be decided. Personally I'm trying to go the Musk path - make money with something practical, get more hair, hang out with rich people, and then try something cool and futury

What do you mean with dad money?

Meditate, learn to pay attention, you can study four hours a day sunday-thursday and go out partying and meet cute guys or girls on the weekend.

Thats some BS, seeking satisfaction is the most primal and natural thing to do, scientifically speaking cumming is the reason we are born on this earth

OP there's a time and place for everything, if you want to go out and socialize do it, it'll bring good feels and its just as important as studying (if not more) for your career and life chances. Dont listen to the autists trying to weigh you down

Then why every single muslim has little to no control over their emotions, are useless shitheads with an 80-iq average and never ever accomplish anything besides stealing stuff and blowing themselves up around innocent people?

This thread really speaks to me right now
I am 22 and studying at university again after being a NEET, I really don't know what to focus on.
I study physics which takes a lot of dedication and at the same time my desire to find a partner is stronger than ever, I feel hopeless.

>lazy first year student
>trying to tell me what is and isn't an issue