How do I become a physicist?

Hey sci. I recently graduated with a bachelor of mechanical engineering. I've now come to realize that my passion is physics. My heroes are Einstein, Bohr, Heisenberg, Schrödinger, Dirac, etc. These guys are greatest geniuses ever, and I wish to be like them. But I can't go back to uni, as I'm working full time as an engineer. Is it possible to become a self-taught expert? Is it possible to reach their level?

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
assignment.essayshark.com/,
amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=Mathematical Methods for Physicists
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_forest
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Try. I am.

How did you learn the math required? Most engineering courses only do 2 years of math

I need to relearn a lot of math. I took Linear Algebra and Differential Equations years ago and I didn't take either seriously because I can memorize things well and my teacher allowed a notes sheets on tests. So I am starting there. I know that to really understand the models you have to intuitively graps Linear Algebra, and then you can build from there. So that I where I am starting.

Alright cool. Good luck bro. Would be cool if the person who unifies relativity and quantum mechanics is reading this thread

>My heroes are ... Heisenberg,
t. nazi
>My heroes are ... Schrödinger,
t. pedo
>My heroes are ... Dirac,
t. autist

Who wrote that?

>Is it possible to become a self-taught expert?
Don't get too ahead of yourself. Set your current goal to the undergrad level.
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Physics_Textbook_Recommendations#Undergraduate
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mathematics#Advanced_Calculus

Skip linear/matrix algebra and go into theoretical linear algebra. It's basically a total review that you want but goes deeper as well giving you better understanding.

>wanting to fuck girls of reproductive age
>OMG PEDO

Fuck off with your arbitrary age restrictions, save the fake outrage for real life

Thanks man :)

>Skip linear/matrix algebra and go into theoretical linear algebra. It's basically a total review that you want but goes deeper as well giving you better understanding.
Thanks. I honestly need to review Calc as well. I passed everything passed the fundamental theorem by memorizing/cramming.

Yeah, that is phrased very strangely. Apparently he fucked a 17 year old--who cares?--but then it implies he tried to groom underage girls. I am skeptical.

>My heroes are Einstein, Bohr, Heisenberg, Schrödinger, Dirac, etc
Lol

>But I can't go back to uni, as I'm working full time as an engineer.

You get this thing called a paycheck. It can be used to pay for things like school

Yet there are only 24 hours in a day and 168 in a week, etc. You can't buy time. You can only get good enough that you have to work less for the same money if you can. That also takes time.
I kinda feel OP, it's really shitty to do anything when you work 40 hours a week.

Of course, it's possible. You can practice on the site assignment.essayshark.com/, as I did when I realized that I needed to improve my level of knowledge in mathematics to start graduate school. There is also a section for physics and you can perform different assignments for students. This is a good experience and also opportunity to share your knowledge with others.

>engineering

What's the point ?

My only higher education is two intro courses to orthopedics. I've finally caved in and
know that studying physics is the only thing that I want to do. What math do I need to go
over before I start? I'm sending my application for Autumn 2018, but I might start 2019.

fuck off shill

Math requirements:
Linear algebra (entry level shit + advanced shit)
Differential equations (entry level ODE shit + Fourier series, Fourier transforms + pdes+change of coordinates)
Perturbation theory
Multivar calc
Not required but helpful: matrix group theory (including lie group theory)

i wish i had the balls to do this. im in medical school and its just a bunch of memorizing and decision trees

buy a mathematics for methods physics book, it'll jumpstart you on all the needed math required for physics

amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=Mathematical Methods for Physicists

get 2 of them, i would get the newest one by

Arfken sucks. So does Boas.

Dude just do computer science instead. It's so awesome

>just a bunch of memorizing and decision trees
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_forest

Get cucked

honestly kill yourself you're ruining this board

fucking faggots bringing up compsci in every unrelated thread

Sorry man, I just really like computer science. It's awesome

To bad you'll never get a job as a fucking white male.

This is a good recommendation, but I feel that OP would really miss the basic motivation and examples if in dif eq's for example he went straight to the separation in spherical coordinates / spherical harmonics in the diff eq section, but it's nevertheless a very good book for any physicist to have.

I'd say you should really go through undergrad syllabus and you might skip some parts, if you did really well in your engineering program, but stuff like electrodynamics, classical mechanics, three semestr of quantum mechanics and most of the time 5 semesters of analysis just take time and the best rec I could give you would probably be to attend some lectures and generally follow the BSc curriculum.

As said though, there's a WORLD of difference between understanding and being comfortable within at the BSc level and really becoming an expert in some field. That ultimately required that you at the very least pursue MSc and do some original research.

I would also consider why you want this and if you really at this point in your life can/want to go back to school and research.