Are you in favor or against using psychoactive substances to enhance cognition?

Are you in favor or against using psychoactive substances to enhance cognition?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4026746/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Amphetamine salts don't enhance cognition, they just temporarily boost energy and confidence. Making an idiot more confident about his own idiocy isn't a good thing, that's why America is the only place these memes are still medicinally legal.

If they worked and had no side effects why not?
The problem is they have heavy side effects and don't work.

All drugs are degen. There are no exceptions.

Epic

Thanks /pol/

I should lift and go to church too

Eh it literally just enhances someone's ability to focus.

>Amphetamine salts don't enhance cognition, they just temporarily boost energy and confidence.
Wrong. It will obviously come with the potential for problems, but that's not the same as saying amphetamines don't enhance cognition. Stimulants are basically the one substance for which there's actually good evidence of cognitive enhancement. Most of the so called "nootropics" don't have any comparable evidence for their effectiveness.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4026746/
>Pharmacologically, substances that enhance the components of the memory/learning circuits—dopamine, glutamate (neuronal excitation), and/or norepinephrine—stand to improve brain function in healthy individuals beyond their baseline functioning. In particular, non-medical use of prescription stimulants such as MPH and illicit use of psychostimulants for cognitive enhancement have seen a recent rise among teens and young adults in schools and college campuses. However, this enhancement likely comes with a neuronal, as well as ethical, cost. Altering glutamate function via the use of psychostimulants may impair behavioral flexibility, leading to the development and/or potentiation of addictive behaviors.

If you have "focusing" problems it clearly makes you smarter. I have ADHD and when I'm not on meds people think I'm a retard, because without them I essentially am retarded.

Caffeine is psychoactive, coffee is useful

if there are no serious side effects and the drug isn't cut, sure.

Yeah, if the side effects are acceptable.

short term results in exchange for long term brain damage is why i wont use

You unironically should.

What better drug is there than Jesus?

I prefer to toke on the ashes of Judas Iscariot.

Wow much edge. I bet you make your christian mother so angry.

Psychedelics including marijuana is rocket fuel for the mind

Does anyone find it weird that millions of Americans are taking SSRIs, amphetamines, benzos, dopamine antagonists, opioids, and the like, all while we have no clue what the long term health and psychological effects of these are?

If people can't think for themselves about the reality of the situation I've started not to not care. People literally want to take legalised drugs to be out of their mind. The only thing will change this is when the powers of regulation for some reason decide to stop. But it's not something we can change. We know they are bad. People are fucking dumb

Until money dies this multi billion dollar industry will continue to use people as they wish

Don't joke about that.

in favor

I'm considering taking up LSD microdosing to push my limits. Thoughts?

>tfw you're seeing the merciless decay of Veeky Forums as you've seen it happen to multiple other boards
it's always so difficult

Too dangerous and/or useless.

What are the dangers of magic mushrooms?

You mean except losing your mind ?

That's called ego dissolution and the higher final stage is ego death. Nothing to be scared of. They take a bit longer to bounce all the way back from but it's worth it. If you take small amounts you will be able to avoid things like that. Psychedelics are scientifically proven to be good for mental health, just approach responsibly.

Datura.

I have found modafinil doesn't really work in terms of making me focussed, it just keeps me awake but also massively improves mood. Dextroamphetamine makes me focussed and improves mood but gives me a pretty unpleasant comedown which can last for maybe two days. All in all I don't think they're really worth it

I've only taken Modafinil and Ritalin and I can say for sure that Ritalin (at least the 10mg, not extended release BS btw) doesn't work for shit, the Modafinil (200 mg pills) kinda worked, it made me more focused but I'd say it was more placebo than the real pill and shit like that, I took it only for a week and after that I completely stopped, It made me fucking depressed and suicidal as I had never been in my life. On Ritalin, I have taken up to 3 pills of 10mg on a single day within 5 hours and it didn't have nearly as much effect as Modafinil, It only kinda made me more 'talkative' but not so much for focus, I would also say that it made me kinda happy with the shit that I was doing, maybe that was placebo too, IDK. So yeah, these drugs are fucked up if you ever stop taking them, I can't imagine what It feels to stop taking them If you have been taking them for long time... Modafinil did make my grades go up, though, I don't know whether it was the placebo effect or the pill actually had effects on me but at least it made me open them fucking books and actually try to learn something.

Oh, shut up. Drug abuse has always been counter-culture, which means it fits perfectly on Veeky Forums. The "merciless decay" is coming from r/The_Donald and all its pseudo-fundie neckbeards pretending to be puritans. I'm guessing you haven't been here long enough to notice that.

We are entering a world of pharmaceutical enhancement. You think Jing Yang who worked his ass off to get into a good school in China gives a shit about losing a few brain cells in the process? Dude is gonna be chugging adderall and working twice the number of hours you can. Good luck keeping up.

IMO it's up to the person. If you research it and are willing to accept the (sometimes negligible) side effects / risks, then use it. Life is hard. It isn't fair. Take what advantages you can get.

This. There are a lot of misconceptions about psychedelics floating around.

If anyone's curious about the actual effects/side effects of drugs, read "Drugs Without the Hot Air" by David Nutt. It doesn't cover everything in great detail, but it's a very good introduction.

Weed makes me psychotic and leaves me retarded for days afterward.

Microdosing on mushrooms > Amphetamine
From personal experience IF you're able to stay focused already
To me mushrooms makes me form connection between my different Biochem classes really easy where as Adderall makes me get tunnel vision

Large scale experiment by the CIA most like.

What does it matter. We are all going to be slaves to the elite. Just hope you will be the one doing the lashing.

Chaos Initiation Artists

if you want to improve cognition take ormus you're welcome