Can science help explain the meaning of life?

Can science help explain the meaning of life?

yes

it already has. biologically speaking, the reason why we're alive is to reproduce. if people didn't die there would be no reason for this feature

get money fuck bitches

>scientifically speaking science can explain things

The Meaning of Life is whatever meaning you give it.

The more often I hear that intrinsic shit the more I hate it. Biology per se has no meaning. Not even reproduction. It's just there. Survival.

No, science, eventually, will explain what is the world.
It's really different thing from the "meaning of life".

No
And it doesn't/shouldn't have to.
Science is about "how". "Why" is for philosophers and clerics. At least they CLAIM to know.

>dat pic

Imagine the smell.

This.

/thread

but what about giving your life shitty meaning so after a while it feels wasted? Nietzsche wanted ubermensh to be able to overcome that, but shit still isn't quite working because

1) your biology makes you feel that
is necessary.
2) things that give you sense of meaning were carved in you by growing up in certain culture (mostly different flavours of the 1st point I think)

Reproduction = 1+1+3
Creativity = 1+1=3
Gravity = 1+1=3
Growth, love and creativity are all aspects of the same thing, which itself is the meaning of life.

death, hate and destruction are also necessary to fill in the blank, without it
Growth, love and creativity
would be meaningless

To live.

The "How" is a different department (see pic).

Hate is never necessary. The world would be much better off without it and life would be able to continue without it. I think we could all love without ever knowing hate. Just look at children

and if my grandma had 2 wheels shed be a scooter, fuck off with your utopian opinion.

Computer science can

>meaning
What led you to believe anything has a meaning in an objective, scientific method-derived way. "Meaning" is a byproduct of the human brain's struggle to utilize finite resources- something that has utility for a givern period of time for human survival is "meaningful" or "purposeful". This is exactly why people connect the meaning of life with some miscellaneous productive activity you're supposed to be good at- they subconsciously know that (meaning = level of (subjective) utility*duration of utility) but can't surface the thoughts coherently.

We are talking about science and the meaning of life, hate is not meaning and is the antithesis of life. Enjoy your suffering you miserable git

The universe may be be overall finite, but scarcity can be overcome using science. Life does not have to be zero sum, especially not in interpersonal relationships

look everywhere and you will see..
balance, harmony & symmetry (exclude humans from this as there was an error in the matrix)

I'm only commenting on the hardwired human condition. Giving "meaning" is the human psyche's way of ranking utility.

>exclude humans
>anthropocentrism when talking about natural phenomena
Complete cringe.

You missed the point

>Just look at children
Wait until they hit puberty.

Simple logic can explain it.

Not modern science. We aren't paying attention to final causes or teleological reasoning, so the purpose or meaning is left out of the picture. That is where art comes into play

>My question … was the simplest of questions, lying in the soul of every man from the foolish child to the wisest elder: it was a question without an answer to which one cannot live, as I had found by experience. It was: “What will come of what I am doing today or shall do tomorrow? What will come of my whole life?” Differently expressed, the question is: “Why should I live, why wish for anything, or do anything?” It can also be expressed thus: “Is there any meaning in my life that the inevitable death awaiting me does not destroy?”

>There's only suffering, madness, and despair
Empirically false.

Have never been near kids. Hate is more natural and common than love. The big problem is that education is the lowest iq degree holder average and go on to fail to develop people.

what's the meaning of 4 in 2+2=4

No such thing as objective 'meaning of life' given that 'meaning' is entirely dependent on your individual brain, AKA subjective experience. Even if some god appeared to humanity and declared that something was the meaning of life. It wouldn't be because as I said, meaning is dependent on your individual brain. The 'meaning of life' is too complex to be captured within the fundamentals shared by humanity by virtue of being the same species, or by the fundamentals of the universe (of which we are part of). Objective or a priori meaning of life are myths.

Some can find great meaning in just making some wood carvings, as you can find great meaning in studying and applying some field of 'science'. You may, along the way, find some fundamentals that you like. You could consider these fundamentals as the baser meaning of life (for you). But overall, you won't find ultimate actions and beliefs that reign as true meaning over the whole course of your life.

if dubs life is meaningless

REROLL

>tfw so far down the rabbit hole the very concept of "meaning" seems ridiculous

This same person would complain if their existence was infinite that it wasn't finite because then there's never any end to it all, which is inescapable; you're trapped into it forever. They'd argue that a finite existence would give it meaning since you only have one moment and every moment is special and meaningful because you have it only once whereas an infinite life no day is ever special. Then they'd say reality is absurd to the core.

There seems to be an emergence of new phenomena as times goes on in the universe and each builds on the previous layer.

Layer 0: Atoms
Layer 1: Compounds
Layer 2: Self-replicating compounds
Layer 3: Cells
Layer 4: Multi-cellular organisms
Layer 5: Organisms with central nervous system
Layer 6: Organisms with intelligence and self-consciousness
Layer 7: Networked intelligence of a society
Layer 8: Society with technology
Layer 9: Super-intelligent AI
Layer 10: ?????

I don't think our minds are even capable of contemplating the next layers or ever figuring out if those "stages" are random or somehow embedded in reality and have an ultimate layer.

Why do you believe a finite existence somehow makes every moment special and meaningful? Days are either special or not, regardless of the nature of your existence.

The only alternative to being "trapped into it forever" is being annihilated forever. At least with the former you might have the option of wiping your memory, hibernate for a thousand years, etc, etc.

Quintissential brainlet.

The sense of the world must lie outside the world. The meaning of life is something outside the limit of the world.
Science has the world as its limit. So it will never give you the answer, no one will ever will, not even Philosophy. That's why it's meaningless to ask the meaning of life, there is no need for this question, there is no meaning to seek something beyond our limit.

Yes kinda, it can show you the architect has a plan for you, if are smart enough to figure it out and do your research as far as what that plan is tough I guess it is different for every person

>science
I hate that word.

Fuck you, bitch.