STEM research burnout

>be third year chemistry undergrad, start of second semester
>everyone has to pick an area of research and do a presentation on it before the Easter break
>manage to net a project on computational chemistry
>pretty sweet gig considering I hate practical labs
>workload is quite heavy but my advisor is really helpful
>two weeks in, no real results
>first few simulations failed because of charge sloshing but at least it's something to talk about
>third week in, mental health takes a massive turn for the worse
>fall massively behind in both coursework and lectures
>everyone else seems to be massively ahead
>felt practically impossible to catch up so why even bother
>everything seems to spiral
>suicide intervention on Sunday, spent the day in A&E
>physically OK but no energy whatsoever to talk to people or go to lectures
>no motivation to even look at my project, let alone do any work on it
>fast forward to fifth week, everything's still fucked beyond repair
>was meant to go into labs on Friday to talk to my advisor, slept through my alarm and spent the rest of the day self-harming and sleeping
>my research advisor has been really understanding and knowing I've disappointed him further is eating me from the inside
>meant to give a presentation in two weeks but I have nowhere near enough material, so I'll either have to bullshit and get ripped apart in the questions section or overshare my mental health problems to everyone in the year
>so tempted to drop out but I know deep down that'd it'd make me feel like even more of a failure further down the road
>my friends are taking me to counselling in a few days but I'm only going to not disappoint them, I honestly can't see it helping

Should I just an hero now, lads

Other urls found in this thread:

vixra.org/abs/1712.0598
2occatl.net/1712.0598v2.pdf
drive.google.com/file/d/1sXrFZhMo9OjoauL0SgAvpSxD_8qaAYi0/view?usp=sharing
youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Go to the university counselling/disability services and try to get an exemption from this

>mental health
nice meme

All modern unis have great resources for people like this. Talk to a counselor or something

Take a reduced courseload and seek counseling. This is probably your first time landing a research position and you had no idea the amount of work it entails. You should also let your advisor know.

Look dad, I posted it again! Will people think I'm cool now?

I'm going to university counselling on Wednesday. I know it's better than sitting around feeling sorry for myself but I can't shake the feeling I'll just get memed with lectures on self-image or going to bed earlier.

My advisor knows, I sent him an email earlier this week and he was really understanding. Problem is I'm the only person working on this branch of research and I don't want to disappoint him by not going in.

if they know what you told us here they wouldn't have the balls to tell you to just go to bed earlier

It's not just counselling, tell them what you posted here (especially the A&E thing) and they can give you academic accommodations to get out of this and help you focus on getting better

10/10 faggotry amiss
>The General Relevance of the Modified Cosmological Model
MIRROR 1: vixra.org/abs/1712.0598
MIRROR 2: 2occatl.net/1712.0598v2.pdf
MIRROR 3: drive.google.com/file/d/1sXrFZhMo9OjoauL0SgAvpSxD_8qaAYi0/view?usp=sharing

who added that part about the other guy's fear?
youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc

I got this and had to quit my job to keep myself doing well in school.

It just sounds like you took on too much. Cut something out, dumbass.

>STEM research burnout

You aren’t burnt out on research after a month of half-assing some undergrad computational project. Being “burnt out” happens to grad students who work themselves to exhaustion and despite wanting to keep working physically cannot. You have a mental health problem. No normal person starts self harming after a few weeks of research. You are right to get help. Explain to the professors running the program your situation. If they don’t listen, sometimes you need to hold your head high, present what you have done, and explain the difficulties you ran into if that’s all you have.

I'm really interested in what your topic is. I've heard some computational chemistry classes so far (I have an exam tomorrow in Hartree-Fock theory). What are your simulations about?

kys you god damn schizophrenic

undergrad research is a joke. they don't expect you to actually accomplish anything. they are just using it as a test to see if you have any potential as a grad student. just keep showing up to the meetings and make it clear that you are trying and you want to learn

what software did you use?

wrong
talk to tutor, say you think you took a wrong path, need to be taught something better
realize most undergrads are brainless chinks
download a github repo
add some nice clean slides
run it
profit
stop being a nigger
even FAILED experiments are valid
use tensornet to model something wrong
still a win

sounds like a pathetic left-minded person trying to "show the world"
unironically, while anheroing isn't the right thing, they should be dead, at least not alive
fucking left
nigger
> link
i bet this is a fucking long bullshit video where absolute no points or assertions are made
you aids infected piece of dogshit

>nigger
why the homophobia?

You actually do have a serious case of schizophrenia though. Please get help before it fries your brain any more than it already has.