Why do allergies exist evolutionarily?

My nose is ALWAYS congested no matter what. It's either completely blocked or around 25% open, making it impossible to breathe through it and do any level of physical activity. It seems like its caused by my allergies.

This seems retarded from an evolution standpoint, because wouldn't that kill off a LOT of people if they suffered heavily from congestion/allergies? What's the reason for their existence, and does it actually help?

Also can some bros recommend some medication to relieve nasal congestion, I'm stuck using afrin and it ruins my nostrils.

Other urls found in this thread:

thorax.bmj.com/content/72/3/236
pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/131/6/e1829
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Your ancestors got more exercise and had more adrenaline flowing through them.

Thus, less allergies

>I'm stuck using afrin and it ruins my nostrils.
Don't. It will only make the problem worse.
Go visit an otorinologist, they will probably tell you it's a chronic thing and you need surgery.
Don't be freightened by that word, it's really nothing.
I had the same, did the surgery and wondered why I didn't do it sooner.

Your nose clogs so more pathogens don't get in

Be very suspicious of mold in your apartment, even very slow leaks, like one drop every few hours can create a moldy patch which will block your nose.

Check all the places where you use water: kitchen, bathroom, wherever you hang your clothes to dry etc.

Tip: I've had these problems go away by using a table fan with a 24/7 timer with a non-stop 30min on/off cycle. Using the slowest speed, the ball bearings on the fan last ages. My fan has been going on/off like this for 3y and still is good as new.

if your allergies are affecting you constantly you're living in the wrong environment for your genetics

>Why do allergies exist evolutionarily

this is a nonsensical question since allergies are a civilization illness, which came up to late to be naturally selected, thus has nothing to do with evolution. if you would have had an allergy back then, you had a disadvantage which got you naturally selected by a predator which heard your sneezing, or you could not smell. it was a non-issue back then. these days we keep these weak genetics artificially alive, even allowing them to procreate. humanity stopped their own evolutionary progress with technology and as a matter of a fact even de-evolves

Just like every major and highly common issue it's caused by our overly luxurious western lifestyle.

Bruhhh STOP breathing through your mouth.

I have the same shit and yet I force breathe through my nose and am physically active. Your nose will open up a lil once it realizes "oh shit he's not giving up, he's actually bent on using my useless ass".

And as someone else said, lay off the fucking meds. If you use them more than two weeks the chances are massive that your nose will become permanently fucked and only surgery will be able to open that shit up (even if).

Ige developed to sensitize mast cells to novel immunogenic compounds associated with parasitic infection. Degranulation upon exposure would cause powerful local immune responses to destroy the parasite or at least interfere with it.

In the wild, where parasitic infestation is a constancy, the benefits of having another anti-parasite defense outweighed the issues caused by potential hypersensitivity to benign compounds.

As usual, the mechanisms that are meant to help us just get by in nature cause issues when we live much longer lives and expect more comfortable existences.

Allergies are most probably due to our sterile environments. Our immune system literally makes shit up to keep itself busy because during your childhood development it didn't get any actual exercise. All irritations, eczemas, congestions, dermatitis etc etc would just vanish if you got an actual infection that kept your body busy.

Probably a mix of:

1) High histamine has been selected for due to its effect on wakefulness/cognition/body composition

2) We eat huge amounts of calories and carbs compared to former times, which makes the immune system over-active

3) We do fewer things which suppress the immune system, like exercising a lot, etc.

4) Fewer infections and parasites

5) Less childhood exposure to allergens like animals, plants, etc.

6) Cortisol from modern lifestyles heightens the effects of histamine.

afrin makes it worse
i just got surgery for this, i recommend it.
and yea allergies are pure niggerdom, evolutionary reasoning btfo

or maybe it's just random, because of all those random genetic rearrangements in the immunosystem

You almost assuredly sit in a stuffy room all day without getting much exercise.

>there's a bunch of fleshy flaps between our nose and throat like we have some kind of fucked up gills
horrifying if im being honest

Allergies come from inbred neanderthal ancestors

What's the surgery called?

Science on sci? Gtfo.

Basically in broad strokes it really is de-evolution, shitty genes.

Genetic over and underproduction, and la
filtration changes of Igs cause immunodeficiencies.

Basically you have genetic super aids. Aids is also an immunodeficiency.

It was an attempt by nature to make a better man. Nature failed, but mankind is too weak to cull the herd. The only cure is to in ironically kys.

This. Children brought up on farms or in dirty environments almost never have allergies. Allergies are more or less a product of our civilized life. As children we are brought up in relatively clean environments with less exposure to allergens.

Interesting, is this what allergy shots try to emulate? Why aren't there TONS of city people having allergies then? They're common but certainly not a 80-90% of the population kind of thing.

City pollution or pollution in general plays a high role.

thorax.bmj.com/content/72/3/236
pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/131/6/e1829
Yeah, it's the idea behind desensitization therapy.
Of course allergy development isn't as cut-and-dry as whether or not you're exposed to allergens as a child.
You can contract environmental allergies for no discernible reason, even as an adult. These allergies can come and go. You can contract allergies despite previous exposure as well, although the chances of this can be reduced.
Even when we by and large lived agrarian lifestyles, there were documented cases of hay fever. Wikipedia says the oldest textual evidence dates back to the 10th century.

You could have had sinusitis and now have nasal polyps. You can get surgery or wait it out

a good way of thinking but not quite true - natural selection has been essentially eliminated but sexual selection plays a HUGE role nowadays - it's always like that with mammals

>Children brought up on farms or in dirty environments almost never have allergies.
[citation needed]

Perhaps the advantages of having an immune system to is overly alert to weird shit outweigh the costs.

Why does X exists with respect to evolution threads need to just get banned outright.