If functional programming is applied type theory, then what is applied set theory?

If functional programming is applied type theory, then what is applied set theory?
Assembly language? OOP? Or something else?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_theoretic_programming
dcs.warwick.ac.uk/~hugh/TTM/Why-Are-There-No-Relational-DBMSs.pdf)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just do computer science instead. It's awesome

Why do people keep posting these surprised anime girl pics?

>If functional programming is applied type theory
it isn't

welcome to the chans newfriend. See you on the boards

I suppose you can call it category theory or typed lambda calculus* if you want, they're all essentially the same thing (by computational trinitarianism). It's the logic of set theory that I'm more interested in.

* Here I am considering the untyped lambda calculus as uni-typed, which I can do so in a consistent manner since we have models for it, thanks to Scott, Plotkin/Engeler, et al.

If I consider you a fag can I apply my cock to your mouth?

Functional programming is nothing special, you autist.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_theoretic_programming

>be theoretical computer scientist
>receives theoretical paycheck

>fag
Why the homophobia?

On the contrary, if I thought functional programming was the be-all-and-end-all of logic, then I wouldn't be asking about alternative programming paradigms. Yet here we are.

Thanks I guess, but the set theory used there looks rather crippled, in comparison to the ZFC++ used by working mathematicians.

I suppose if set theory had a programming paradigm it would be based on the axioms of Boolean algebras. If the meme that computers are essentially built out of NAND gates is substantiated, would that make circuit design an applied set theory? Somehow, I have my doubts.

PROLOG

I don't think set theory is rich enough to correspond to a programming paradigm. The axioms come down to
>Sets of elements and other sets exist and can be defined
>Set to set functions exist
>Unions of sets exist
>A well ordering of a set exists
So there isn't realy anything in set theory that slowed you to reason about the execution of a program without defining a lot of constructions and limiting the scope.

Actualy, I got it, set theory would maybe correspond to something like SQL, which may or may not count as a programming language.

>SQL
Corresponds to relation algebras rather than Boolean algebras, and they're a bit too strongly typed to correspond to set theory, I think. This is probably a consequence of having a relation composition operator, which gives a very functional character to the logic of databases designed on relation algebra (for an example, see the commentary dcs.warwick.ac.uk/~hugh/TTM/Why-Are-There-No-Relational-DBMSs.pdf)

>PROLOG
This looks perfect, thanks! (Now I no longer have to suck Coq for a living!)

Are you an IT professional? Or perhaps a political entity? Or even an intel contractor?
Want to release the forces of chaos?

Take this:
pastebin.com/u/relevantinfo

A fine compilation of modern research on the ways to make societies go crazy, made accessible for computer scientists.

dumb weeb

>Corresponds to relation algebras rather than Boolean algebras, and they're a bit too strongly typed to correspond to set theory, I think.
everything is typed in your mind, which you already said above:
>Here I am considering the untyped lambda calculus as uni-typed
consider yourself retarded

>functional programming
please no you guys are the reason i have to keep refactoring my damn syntax parsers

The real smart CS people are in machine learning actually for some reason, lmao life's good