Scientism general

Is scientism a real thing?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism

Scientism is a term generally used to describe the facile application of science in unwarranted situations not amenable to application of the scientific method.

In philosophy of science, the term "scientism" frequently implies a critique of the more extreme expressions of logical positivism[1][2] and has been used by social scientists such as Friedrich Hayek,[3] philosophers of science such as Karl Popper,[4] and philosophers such as Hilary Putnam[5] and Tzvetan Todorov[6] to describe (for example) the dogmatic endorsement of scientific methodology and the reduction of all knowledge to only that which is measured or confirmatory.[7]

i think it's real but 99% of the time people mention it just as a weak excuse to justify their blatantly anti-science political or religious views

Kinda
See: Unit 731

Yea, but most of them are insecure academics and redditors. Science/math education is still shit, and a lot of people missuse the term as
said. So it exists, but I don't see it as a problem.

It's garbage terminology. There is no such thing as "scientism" and science doesn't equal popper's analytical reductionism.

science at the moment is it's infantile analytical stage, but "scientism" is a moronic term mostly used by religious idiots. the terms idealism and materialism would be far more precise for their "critique" of modern science

An adept of physicalism is called a _____
An adept of essentialism is called an _____
An adept of intuitionism is called an _____
An adept of finitism is called a _____
An adept of platonism is called a _____
An adept of Islamism is called an _____
An adept of Buddhism is called a _____
An adept of terrorism is called a _____

An adept of scientism is called a _____

>Scientism is a term generally used to describe the facile application of science in unwarranted situations not amenable to application of the scientific method.
Out of curiosity, can you point to some examples of that happening?

The march "for science" meme.

>Is scientism a real thing?
No. 'science' is not monolithic, or philosophically and methodologically singular. Meaning that many things can come under 'science', 'many things' meaning that there is no such thing as nonscientific and scientific explanation for something in the reality at large. If you have an actual explanation, then it's scientific. Nonscientific explanations don't exist, given the broadness of 'science' in actual practice and not philosophical fuckery, all explanations come under 'science'.

>can you point to some examples of that happening?
Talking to the average person.

It also happens frequently in politics, where leaders of *any* political stripe spout memes some random science journalist, who doesn't understand what he is talking about, wrote, but it is used because it fits the political agenda of the politician.

Scientismist

Daily remainder that Scientism IS a respectable position in Epistemology. The article in the wikipedia is just strawman.

What exactly does it mean, though? Stating to only believe experimentally verified results is incoherent.

That's not "scientism" or other nonsense labels that you could tack on to it. That's just plain argument from authority.

>That's just plain argument from authority.
It isn't though.
These people aren't saying "this guy said, such and such", they just state "such and such" as if it were an uncontested position in science and nobody actually disagreed with that.

If you actually listen to people in politics talk about climate change it is almost only that, they just state things as if they were uncontested scientific "facts".

The people on the streets just talk about pop-sci, they don't know any "authorities" in the field.

>Is scientism a real thing?

Yes, it's what you call the cancer on reddit.

>t.

>fallacy fallacy
xkcd isn't all THAT smart

A lot of scientific studies have been faked like sugar industry, vitamin industry, weed being harmful , psilocybin not being beneficial, gmos, etc. Bottom line scientific studies have to be funded and can be very biased when your job is on the line

Aunt clair, fuck off.

This is a strawman version of scientism. Read the work of epistemologists and philosophers of science like James Ladyman, Mario Bunge, Alex Rosenberg etc.

I ask for a concise argument, not a reading list. I suppose that "science is the only reliable source of knowledge" would be a definition you'd support?

I'd be interested how "reliable" is defined such that it is exclusively available to science. This seems far too strong to me.

This

it's for harry potter fans who don't know their gender

>Rosenberg
>Berg