Keep this in mind, brainlets

Keep this in mind, brainlets.

>John D. Carmack (born August 20, 1970) is an American computer programmer, engineer, and businessman. He co-founded id Software. Carmack was the lead programmer of the id video games Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake, Rage and their sequels. Carmack is best known for his innovations in 3D graphics, such as his Carmack's Reverse algorithm for shadow volumes. In August 2013, Carmack took the position of CTO at Oculus VR.[2]

Yes?

Bump for important PSA.

Im not even out of undergrad and wish i could tell my younger self this
I wish there wasnt so much misinfo about “you’ll probably never need this kind of math” when i was in highschool.
I also wish they started with linear algebra before calculus.

A remarkably shallow person.

Given how significant his contributions to graphics and game engine development have been, it's really too bad that he was responsible for letting id software rot after the original doom/quake

Oh wow, so he made a couple of games ages ago that no one cares about now. Also VR is a meme.

>it's really too bad that he was responsible for letting id software rot after the original doom/quake
In what way? He helped create some seriously industry changing games.

But, John is not a game maker, hes a coder.

>insulting Carmack
This is how I know you're a teenager.

Watch one of his presentations, and then you will see how he is operating on such a higher plane of existence to you, and you will never, ever, be able to comprehend the level of math he does.

The Doom engine was greatly inferior to the older Ultima Underworld engine.

Academia isn't the place for learning things like arts, which are best self-taught, that's all he's saying. He isn't saying they're worthless, but spending money and 4 years studying what should just be a hobby or passion is stupid as fuck.

>not having a well rounded education
Why do americans despise learning new languages ?

Didnt he literally lose a lawsuit for stealing code in the past 5 years

No shit, being a math major should be a pre-req for any other non-meme university degree. First of all, that would filter out all the brainlets who have no place in a university in the first place, second, nowadays if you don't know at least grad-level math, you're severely handicapped regardless of your field, anyone claiming otherwise is a brainlet waste of space.

yeah that guy who fucking invented multiplayer online gaming, kys

>posts animes
>calls others a waste of space

like pottery

Listen to the brainlet and do the opposite.

But that's exactly what gives me the right to do so. It takes one to know one. I don't understand what you're trying to imply here.

easy to say but being brainwashed by mathematical instruction probably would have crushed his creativity and he'd never have succeeded like he did

He's calling you a faggot.

This. I'd rather be a true patrician and have a classical education, please.

no u

I love Spanish, it's the most beautiful language I've ever heard. Especially the sound from mainland Spain where the cee sounds end up like some kind of bastard th.

Most languages are shit imo. I can't stand the sound of almost all of them. Japanese is alright, but not worth learning. I love English spoken with a French accent but I want to punch French-speakers in the face, I absolutely hate the sound of it. Complete shit tier language, I'd rather listen to some african click language than that garbage.

it's nearly useless if you're born in an anglo country, and the tendency is for it to become ever more useless.
Go to Germany try practice your German. They'll just switch to English.

You're trash.

We don't really learn any of those things to any real depth, though. Assuming he's referring to k-12 public school, the Spanish classes are virtually useless. Actually most of the classes in general are.

He developed technology that changed the industry. Are you stupid?

because it's a waste of time and everything worth your time is written/spoken in english
>inb4 autistic screeching about languages making you more flexible/creative/whatever
inconclusive pseudoscience, exercise does the same with stronger evidence

not that it wasn't retarded in the first place

>spending money
hehehehehehehe

If you don't study the arts under people who know what they're doing, you will likely be lead astray, but I won't pretend that it's necessary. TBF it's completely possible to self-teach mathematics as well (in fact self-study is where most of your mathematical learning comes from in the first place), it's just significantly harder

That is just not the truth.
t. Practicing my German in Germany as a PhD student

Glad I took CS and not CE then.

That is because he specialized in a profession that requires math. If you specialize in a profession that doesn't, you probably would regret ever haven taken math and not more of whatever you need for your profession.

This. He's a hack. You faggots need to fuck off back to /v/.

You don't need very high level math to program, and in any case, I think everyone should at least study the basics of algebra and analysis no matter what you specialize in

>regret taking math
I regret that we don't kill such people before they graduate high school.

>implying a salesman or a plumber needs more than the math you learn in elemantary school

they do

They don't "need" it to perform their jobs, but they need it to be human.

Better worry about surviving the collapse of society in the communist coup when the kikes try to come for the guns. It is go time motherfuckers it ain't gonna be pink bubbles, better be ready for the call

>anyone who isn't as autistic as me about an esoteric, useless concept isn't human

this

That's only the case in germany though, because english is basically a dumbed down version of german, they don't have a hard time learning it.

How will taking cal 5 and other shit like complex variables help me as a biochemist

fuck off faggot, i know 4 languages and im pretty sure i would be the exact same if i only knew english.

>valuable contributions
>video games
pick one

it's all the C++ kids shilling their trash

I don't regret any language course I've taken
I'm 100% sure that my experience in Latin and German in high school has helped me with logical thinking and identifying scientific terminology without needing to look the words up
Brainlet monolinguals will never understand this feel

And the way unreal handled textures ended up raping everyone's engine.

You do when you are writing engines. It's one of the most math intensive areas

>pathetically deluded Veeky Forums fags twisting the personal regrets of a successful game developer into an attack on any discipline indirectly related to STEM.
t. Linguist

Yeah because data mining isnt more cancerous. At least games are entertainment

Go back to using python and your Monty memes

99% of programmers are not writing engines though and never will

It's kind of amusing how he is displaying a huge bias in this tweet. This could easily be Kanye West proclaiming he has no regrets for not learning how to program ray tracers but wishes he had studied more music. I don't understand the purpose of the tweet.

Languages and music are used to build social capital which I'm not surprised is over looked by a guy who embodies the archetypal nerd stereo type.

>Languages and music are used to build social capital
parasitic elements of society which we could easily do without if we could optimize production of high-IQ individuals

artists and their ilk are a degenerate solution to the problem of pacifying dumb people

t. Archetypal Nerd

>ask me why I'm a kissless incel

Carmack should be the God of sci

>1984
>not stealing apple II

>people aren't human unless they waste time studying concepts that are completely useless to them

John Carmack probably thinks the holocaust was a real event. He's not very smart and if he didn't make Doom, he would be completely irrelevant.

Dutch is dumbed down german. English not really, but unlike in western countries they teach second languages properly in German public schools. What you say is true though unless you're high B2 or C1 they're switching to English.

Reminder that Carmack should have succeeded and Musk failed. We're in the wrong timeline.

>Armadillo Aerospace is an aerospace startup company based in Mesquite, Texas. Its initial goal was to build a crewed suborbital spacecraft capable of space tourism, and it had also stated long-term ambitions of orbital spaceflight. The company was founded by John Carmack.[2]

>degeneracy
Quick question how do you go on measuring degeneracy and what drove you this conclusion in a meaningless Universe

>linguistics
>frail old man
seems about right

Italian I would say has more grace to it also Romanian is not a bad sounding language

>autists incapable of understanding the tranquil yet vivifying felicity that makes life worth living engendered by mathematical insight
We are always in the process of becoming more and more human. If you do not understand mathematics, much like if you do not understand art, then you are not fully human.

This whole idea that people are talented in different ways is largely bullshit. The more you do something and the harder you work at it the better you become. You basically have to trick kids into thinking they're good at something so they'll stick to it.

His tweet is obviously a reaction to all those motivational speakers spouting their bullshit but the truth is we HAVE to encourage boring things over more fun arty subjects or else we'll have too high a surplus of useless people.

I too think mathematics is fundamentally important and that everyone should strive to learn as much of it as time or resources permit. That said, I'm interested in why Veeky Forums has an obsession with letting everyone else know that math is the most important activity one could ever spend energy on. I suppose mathematicians are similar to philosophers and physicists in that they reluctantly recognize that their fascinations are limited only to a relatively tiny portion of the human population; they become aware that much of the work that they put countless hours into will go underappreciated or unappreciated completely in the eyes of the overwhelming majority of those beings which are alone potentially intelligent enough to be able to receive it. He who leaves the cave to become enlightened finds that, try as he may, he cannot convince the others to follow suit, so he contends to look down on them as a feeble method of indirect gratification.

How strange that beauty and truth perceived by one cannot be enjoyed if it cannot be shared. After all, solipsism is a frightening possibility.

>unlike western countries
>germany

what?

That's because Kanye West is a leech who doesn't understand anything about digital signal processing despite hiring people to use it for him to make his music for him and he should kill himself for being a talent-less plagiarizing hack

>After all, solipsism is a frightening possibility
Stop scaring me user you're reminding me of some bad acid trips

A lone, unrecognized voice of reason...

Useless people can cut your hair, cook your food, raise your children, build your houses, grow your food, and do so in a far more economically stimulating way than automations might, due to their individual needs for sustenance and support. They could make you happy, useless as they are, if it weren't for their inability to grasp simple calculus.

But yeah, I think anyone can learn. I don't think everyone needs to, though.

you cant just remove someone like kanye west from the planets psyche. the mediasphere would be completely imbalanced if kanye just drops off the map. the only way you can remove kanye from the picture entirerly is by substituting him with another person of equal genius. good luck with that friend moo haha

>talking shit about the Greybeards.
Impudent twat. I'll thu'um yer fookin head in.

>people who perform valuable services for myself and others are to be considered useless because they never passed Calc 2.
This is what the average Veeky Forums poster actually believes.

>I don't understand the purpose of the tweet.
His point is that he regrets not studying more advanced topics related to his field of interest, but he doesn't regret not studying unrelated topics that are usually recommended for study by normies with the purpose of making one a "well rounded individual". He's telling people to stop following cookie cutter advice and focus on what they're actually interested in or what they actually perceive as useful.

>sold his anus to cuckerberg

t. retard who only looks at things at the surface level
UU engine lacks a plenty of things Doom engine has

He runs an aerospace company.

wasnt he one of the pioneers to 3d rendering good? pretty sure this is applicable in many areas other than games

Because he advocates for maths? If you don't comprehend maths then you are probably going to be ineffective at whatever you are trying to accomplish. That includes actual artistry.

How is he wrong exactly?

You shouldn't be studying creativity like art or music, you should be creating it. If you are merely a student of creators then you are a sham boy, at a point you are not going to learn anything else that is going to help you "understand" how to be creative, you've got to make your own shit.

Math/science on the other hand can be endlessly studied and applied.

stop posting the same shit everyday fag

>It's kind of amusing how he is displaying a huge bias in this tweet.
The truth is biased. The "arts" have been consumed with political sophistry. Zombies hate higher mathematics because it requires you to actually think.

>you've got to make your own shit
You can't become truly prolific in whatever artistic medium you choose unless you've developed some competency in it: violinists must be instructed on how to play the violin, for example. Self-taught artists otherwise develop systemically bad habits that could plague their performance for many years.

I agree but "Art Major" is like a bad joke.

Dropping $200k and 4-5 years of your life to "study" something you are probably terrible at

Does placing "arts" in quotes make you feel superior?

>implying a salesman or a plumber needs more than the math you learn in elemantary school
Mathematics much like philosophy is about empowering people.

What pisses me off are those who can't distinguish between Art Majors and the Social Sciences/History. We hate them nearly as much as the STEMfags.
t. Veeky Forums teacher

Art without maths and philosophy is a mistake.

>This is how I know you're a teenager.

or someone with very poor taste in games. ID's early games were amazing. what other games (individual games, not over-promoted franchises like mario or zelda) from that era still have such a dedicated fanbase?

i foos ro dah'd that fucker off a mountain like he was my bitch

yeah dumb mistake lol meant north america.