Whats the deal with engineer hate and physics/math worship?

Whats the deal with engineer hate and physics/math worship?

Engineering is literally just taking sections from your math and physics books. So why would you hate on them? Because they only focus on certain sections of math/physics?

Explain this to me. Btw Im a physics major with engie friends. They arent dumb and they know a good amount of math and physics

No one really hates engineering as a field, but rather, the cancerous community asociates with it.

they fell for the pure meth 300k starting meme and are now ass blasted that they can't get a job
the engineers then gloat about it, and how they could get jobs, which pisses everyone off

A fat 3/4ths of people studying engineering are the pond scum of the spectrum

There's no cancerous community. Only amerimutts calling themselves engineers without having an engineering degree.

>

>Because they only focus on certain sections of math/physics?

Engineers are usually unaware of this and act like they know everything

>calling themselves engineers without having an engineering degree.
Why is this a thing? People do this all the time at my Uni and it pisses me off. Especially when non-engineering majors call me an engineer. How could you call yourself an engineer before actually earning your degree and landing a position? I don't get it.

>Engineering is literally just taking sections from your math and physics books

Why do so many physics majors think this? Physics programs really should start requiring majors to take one engineering elective to dispel this.

>implying you can't learn economics through engineering a price machine

plebs.

The engineers at my school all end up getting CS jobs... so yea

You're right, I took an engineering elective and it required zero (0) knowledge from any math or physics book.

What do you mean user?

Why the ingeniatorphobia?

Wow, you took an entry-level course and it was easy, amazing.

because you're all brainlets

The professors call you engineers your boss calls you an engineer when you're working they call you an engineer at the job fairs.

Only you absolute fucking incomprehensibly pedantic literal autists actually get angry over this absolutely trivial semantics.

>printer pluggers are "computer engineers"
>backstage crews are "sfx engineers"
>managers are "happiness engineers"
>advertisers are "communication engineers"
Fuck off.

Do you think engineer is supposed to be some prestigious title? All of those are valid use of engineer

Everyone knows that an engineer is The operator of a locomotive engine; a train driver. Choo choo!

No they aren't, they "make happen" but at this point engineers are people who, you guessed it, build engines. All those jobs are not nearly as prestigious as an actual engineer

>cant dispute the argument so he brings up a bunch of unrelated bullshit that no one is talking about
Just fucking kill yourself.

>physishit worship

Hey, it's okay if you engineers and physishits use the stuff we Mathematicians came up with, just know your place.

>Programmers are software engineers

It's a meme, you dip

entry level like all engineering courses

I do not dislike engineers, but I do dislike students of that field. They act like whiney bitches, crying about the shit they have to know without realising that without this knowledge they cannot be considered engineers.

Engineers don't always do research or go into academia but instead basically become overpaid blue collar workers. Every faggot that posts on Veeky Forums has convinced themselves that they're going to make some revolutionary change to their field of choice, and so they pride themselves with thinking they will be making a greater contribution to humankind. Sadly they will realize midway through their post-doc, while grading a bunch of engineering students' exams, that the average engineer their same age is making substantially more money than them, working with VERY similar applications.

>Mathematics
Enjoy your life as a code piggie moron

Huh, isn't strange that the average IQ in physics is higher than in math?

Hey, be fair, it's closer to half of us.

Engineers don't know math. The don't never head the definition of a topological space or a Gamma functions.
They know that they can use Newtons method for numerical simulations and since they need linearizations, they learn how to work with matrices. Of course, if you know what a matrix is and how to invert it, when you talk to a non-STEM major you're a math genius dealing with mystical greek symbols. But fact of the matter is they don't learn any of the math subject in even the smallest detail. In turn, you won't see an engineer create new math. Apart from the people who have to do algorithm design, no mathematical concept from after 1930 is used.

engineering students are notorious for cheating and not giving a shit about the material. obviously not every one is like this but at my own school, whenever someone gets caught cheating and the story circulates, it's almost always someone in engineering.

their academic misconduct gets tolerated because it's a huge faculty that rakes in cash from foreign students, who also comprise a good chunk of the people who cheat.

>Whats the deal with engineer hate and physics/math worship?

it's a way to weed intelligent people out of the gene pool...

Jews don't want us having any engineers.

I'm not sure you know the difference between blue collar and white collar

>it's a way to weed intelligent people out of the gene pool...
>Jews don't want us having any engineers.

This.

Less engineering chads having kids. More virgin physicists and mathematicians

>in engineering, no mathematical concept from after 1930 is used.

It's why it's called useless.

Only a P.Eng. can sign and stamp, kind of like how only an M.D. can write prescriptions.

Canadian spotted

This happens everywhere. Foreign students, especially Asians are notorious for cheating. You younglets are so easy to spot though.

Who the fuck cares what degree/school/faculty/department you were in? Who cares about how "smart" you think you Are? Or cheated your way through which degree?

Can you get a job? The truth is, most Chinese people struggle to get jobs in the West. Not all, but most. Nobody wants to hire them. Have you ever been to an interview? They ask you technical questions. If you can't answer them, or you speak like a tard, no job.

here is the list of the most hated stem studies

like : maths and physics

OK : chemistry

dislikes : applied math, medical, biology

hates : engineers

very hates : non-stem degrees

absolute hell hatred : Computer science

>bachelors in engineering
>literally construct the future
>100k starting
>any job i want

i can barely contain my smug levels

>he exclaims while lacking the IQ to write proper English

>They arent dumb and they know a good amount of math and physics

you know far less math and physics than you think you do

You do realize that math and physics bounce off each other right? The fact that you are claiming a position of superiority due to your interest already tells me how dumb and narrow minded you are. If you were smart you'd try to grasp an understanding for all the sciences and Synthesize there techniques.

Its better than being a failed mathematician/physicist

DELET THIS

Because they get paid more to do less

This exactly

This. Engineers usually never go into academia/research and just end up building things. They're essentially equivalent to code monkeys, but they don't code most of the time. Every time I've seen a professor tell an engineer to do research or close to research for a term project, their first thought is to find the coolest application of an already existing technology, which is not research. They don't realize their entire life they will be listening to business people and taking orders the entire time with no original thought.

Chad engineer: The test results on that new coating ABC company developed looked really impressive. Wait a sec, if we applied that coating to the new heart valve my company has been working on... Holy shit, let me get France on the line. This could save lives!

Virgin """scientist""": B-b-b-but... wut r QUARKS maed of??? D:

it's not that I hate engineers, it's that I hate when people think I do what an engineer does

t. physics guy

t. majored in some gay bullshit math/physics shit and can't even get a job scooping up dog shit at the local park

ok now to reality
>bachelors in engineering
>land job that has essentially nothing to do with engineering, dont actually hold any authorization from any oversight body to engineer anything
>70k a year starting
>no selection of jobs because all engineering work is done by people who are actually legitimate engineers and they comprise 2% of the population of eng bs holders

yeah for China

>mathematics
>programming

Honestly though, as an advanced undergraduate math student, I see no problem here. Definitely thinking about going for a masters in some sort of engineering so I don't have to deal with the bullshit associated with being "original". At this point in my studies I just want to get a paycheck and get on with my life.

sad

yea now im sad but im sure ill be less sad with an 80k+ starting salary desu

t. pessimistic, ignorant, role playing faggot with a useless philosophy degree that can't even get him a job with uber

Mathematical physics is math, not physics. It's like when you cook with your kids. The kid just plays around pretending to be helpful by doing some trivial chores while the parent does all the actual work.

this

scientsits are too prideful

dont realize engineers make the reality of their discoveries applicable to the world around them

making something new is new. it doesnt have to be theoreteically new to be experimentally new.

As a cnc-machine op, the "engineers" that made the production program swear by the simulations. Actual 3D material behaves quite differently than sims.

im in my second year and just learnt newtons linearization method.
our math guy looks like the old crazy guy from Phineas and Ferb

it's pretty easy stuff to understand. but how do we apply the advanced theories?

Our job is to build off sciences. Current unis do not give engineers the ability to use complex theories to make complex products because thats what companies do.

I get the uses of complex theories to control atoms for nano shit like in materials, chem, biophysics, and possibly electrical. currently though for subjects like mechanical and civil it is quite useless.

>holy shit this is my uni

>i facilitate as an international, the cheating to, other internationals.

summed up between

the difference between solidworks/fusion 360/creo on a shitty 3-d printer vs a decent laser cutter.

>Only amerimutts calling themselves engineers without having an engineering degree.

As opposed to the poo in loo with IT degrees from some bullshit college in madras who posts on Quora about how Bill Gates said he would rather hire Indians than Harvard grads and how NASA engineers studied Hindu texts to come up with rocket designs?

Microsoft's Bill Gates,
Apple's Steve Jobs,
Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg
are College DropOuts

While many Indians have CS BSc, Masters PhDs

>Bill Gates said he would rather hire Indians than Harvard grads
Because Pajeets Poo in Loo are a lot CHEAPER.
They do the same job for 1 tenth of a American grad

>NASA engineers studied Hindu texts to come up with rocket designs?
NASA is importing mechanical parts from India & China because these parts are a lot CHEAPER.

But all of you must remember:
LOW PRICE comes with LOW QUALITY.

novel processes can lead to lower prices with equal quality.

what do you think is the point of materail sciences besides their ability to make niche materials?

Oh man, don't get me started. At work, I see aerospace stress reports come from a company called Ferchau, which seems to specialize in exporting work to India. I never imagined it was possible for an "engineer" to not know what the Pythagorean theorem is, and yet I saw a certification stress report in which the author failed to find the shear force on a fastener given Fx and Fy. I didn't even bother reading the rest of the report. Keep in mind that these reports are signed by three engineers and are supposed to show that an aircraft is safe to fly.

I won't name the aircraft, because I'm sure that the same lack of quality can be seen in many commercial aircraft from both Boeing and Airbus.

i go to a second rate uni engineering uni in london and this surprises me

im in fucking second year can fully the problem with what you said

This is exciting gossip. Give me more please.

oh oh

what do you think of zodiac aerospace?

i have an interview with them soon

In that case, you'll like what he did instead. He extracted Fx, Fy and Fz from the FEM and found the "maximum principal force" i.e. (Fx+Fy)/2+sqrt(((Fx-Fy)/2)^2+Fxy^2), and since the FEM did not report an Fxy, Fxy is set to zero. Btw, this underpredicts the fastener shear load.

How about this - my office has been ordered by upper management to outsource a percentage of our workload for the year to India. By their math, they'll require 1.4 times as many man-hours to complete the work, and each engineer involved will have to spend several hours every week coaching them and answering questions to keep them on track. Final approval and authorization will still be my office's responsibility - I don't need to tell you how this is going to end. And again, the safety of the public is the matter at hand.

>zodiac aerospace
You probably already know about how much everyone hates them for delaying aircraft deliveries and being the main source of customer complaints. Did you hear about the time that a (multi-million dollar) plane was being delivered to an airline, and the president (iirc) of the airline was walking through his new plane, sat down in one of the seats, pulled the meal tray down, and it fell right in his lap?

But really, best of luck in your interview. It's a bad time to be a scientist/engineer in aerospace, so it's a big accomplishment to even get this far. It'll be a good experience if you get it.

LOL that's fucking hilarious. Might make a joke of that in the interview for the giggles of it.

It'll be a placement for Operations/Test engineer although they are fishing for a Manufacturing one from my uni too which I think they will double interview me for.

Two questions;
Why is it a bad time, and any advice for the interview?

Is it a bad time because breaking the speed of sound causes problem like what happened with the Concord?

It's just jealousy. People who chose unemployable majors like math and physics in here try and make up for their inferiority complex by bashing engineers to try and feel superior. Did I mention math and physics fags are unemployable? Its the same reason why they all bash CS. They're trying to make up for their inferiority complex.
Success breeds jealousy, basically.

if you dont mind me asking these questions that is.

t. CS major

and all the happy for it :^)

It's a bad time because both Boeing and Airbus have huge backorders; it'll take over ten years of very fast-paced production to deliver all of the planes they've sold. This, plus the fact that nearly every market segment has a plane to fill it means that there's no need to design new airplanes. Not for 5-10 years, at least.

Although, it's actually a very good time to be in interiors work and anything manufacturing related - even if there's just one 787 design, each airline is going to want their interiors to be a certain way, and that requires engineers.

From what you said I feel really bad for my fellow aerospace friends. They have to design planes as their main design module project. It's really all for nothing.

Smaller aeroplanes would still be in need of designing outside of Beoing and Airbus though right? I remember seeing a completley solar-powered plane make a trial trip that made it.

That's what I was thinking. Zodiac does have some pretty wicked VIP interior designs. I had to do a business project for them. They were forced to merge 1-2 years ago cause they were eating the dust.

They are also developing a hydrogen fuel cell for cabin uses (HYCARUS) which I found interesting. It's by products could be used in inert the tanks, and the water to be used for boiling water and such.

>Is it a bad time because breaking the speed of sound causes problem like what happened with the Concord?
This is another reason why we won't be designing any new aircraft soon - the next "quantum leap" in aircraft is not really clear yet, so there's no real plans for a new product that could displace a competitor in the same market segment. Solving the sonic boom problem, like you mentioned, would be one of these quantum leaps, but, despite all the research funding going into it, I'd be surprised to see a commercial supersonic aircraft entering development before 2030. My personal bets for a next-gen aircraft would be a hybrid plane (as in electric-powered) or a modular airplane (various fuselage section and wing designs and engines that customers can mix and match to get an airplane that suites their needs, plus makes things much easier from the manufacturing side).

Ayyy I really like that second idea. I might expand on that in the interview. It would be a good way for zodiac to get back into the game. I do remember hearing of that idea on some science alert network. It would be a lot of fun of trying to design a system that allows for mix-n-match.
I don't get how you could even come close to creating enough free power to help a plane. It would need to be a mix of solar and hydrogen.
Unless;
a) Solar somehow reaches it's maximum of (30% 35%?) max effeciency. which is under materials engineering
b) A new type of chemical energy similiar-to hydrogen is invented.

You seem quite knowledgeable, my end-game is to start a commercial space industry. do you mind giving your opinon on my game plan?

>They have to design planes as their main design module project. It's really all for nothing.
If you enjoy aerospace design, the project is it's own reward. Plus, getting experience in one thing often-times winds up teaching you something that will be useful to you sometime in the future, even in something completely unrelated.

>Smaller aeroplanes would still be in need of designing outside of Beoing and Airbus though right? I remember seeing a completley solar-powered plane make a trial trip that made it.
True, I recall hearing that Textron has three new small(-ish) aircraft in the pipeline - including the sexy Denali. However, these companies have much smaller budgets for engineering, so it's tough to get a job there, and the pay is below average (but you get some great experience).

>It's by products could be used in inert the tanks, and the water to be used for boiling water and such.
Huh, that's kind of neat, actually.

>HYCARUS
I bet the MBA that came up with that thinks he's really clever

>You seem quite knowledgeable, my end-game is to start a commercial space industry. do you mind giving your opinon on my game plan?
Sure, but I don't know much about space. I've just had the benefit of working with some very smart people.

green text cause i like laymens thanks to feynman
>become an engineer of sorts and get a formula of what an aerospace industry looks like
chose mechanical with bachelors
>to start a commercial space industry requires myself to already have assets
as a candians and with lots of connects in cannabis, i'm investing into creating a commcerical cannabis company as a side-source of AFK profit. that and to be one of the first to jump through the UN trade ban lift = mad amounts of $
>go to international uni to make connects from all around the world thus allowing me to visit any country to meet new friends
london
>in 5 years time have a business of some sort and have full comprehension of at least 3 space-physics books
>next 5 years create a foundation to launch a company related to space built human stuff. most likely satellites and solar harvesters.

From there the big goals will be asteroid mining and my main goal; starting a neruoscience research project using the research and progress from Neuralink to create a way for humans to control their dreams and to get it to the normal population, aka an advanced lucid dreaming in hopes of getting humanity to the next level.

>chose mechanical with bachelors
Can't complain, did a BS in ME myself
>as a candians and with lots of connects in cannabis, i'm investing into creating a commcerical cannabis company as a side-source of AFK profit. that and to be one of the first to jump through the UN trade ban lift = mad amounts of $
Don't know much about this, but I'm pretty sure you'll have plenty of competition - a lot of people have been taking advantage of regulatory changes to make money. If your research tells you you can make a good profit, go for it. But remember that there's usually more money in B2B than B2C.
>london
I think you're skipping some steps between arriving in London and getting well-acquainted with tomorrow's best and brightest, but sure
>in 5 years time have a business of some sort
Ok
>have full comprehension of at least 3 space-physics books
The nice thing about books is that they don't fade like memories do, so there's no real need to fully comprehend a whole book, just be able to pick up on a sub-chapter when you happen to need it. Also, there's not much point in understanding space physics when you can hire or partner with someone that understands space physics. But, don't let me stop you, learning is its own reward
>next 5 years create a foundation to launch a company related to space built human stuff. most likely satellites and solar harvesters.
Ok. Or just buy one, since you're working on pretty short time-frames
>From there the big goals will be asteroid mining and my main goal; starting a neruoscience research project using the research and progress from Neuralink to create a way for humans to control their dreams and to get it to the normal population, aka an advanced lucid dreaming in hopes of getting humanity to the next level.
Go for it my dude

The important thing (in my narrow-minded experience) is to have plans, but to keep them flexible. Validate and revalidate the basic assumptions that your plans rely on, and adjust accordingly.

Also, since you're being pretty ambitious, don't be afraid to "cut corners" - no man is an island. Rather than try to be the ultimate self-made man, leverage you money and your network to help you reach your goals. Good luck!

Thank you user, i mentioned London cause I am going to uni here. Got connection hubs to Saudi, Singapore, India, Italy, and Iceland so far.

I want to have the knowledge on a subject before I dive into a company on it so I know my smartie pants scientists aren't feeding me crap.

Actually t physics major whose entire family holds eng bs as well a large majority of his friend group. Additionally I am essentially in the same boat as I dont particularly have an interest in getting a phd.

making an unexpected discovery via experiment is literally just rolling the dice you idiot, the dude who discovered vulcanization was lucky not necessarily brilliant

>LOW PRICE comes with LOW QUALITY.
You also probably think "bringing jobs back to america" is an idea that is even feasible and are also probably a huge proponent of the coal industry and made in the usa stickers. Economics may be a troll pseudo science but that doesnt mean you can just make shit up and pass it off as fact or even educated opinion.

Can you please be one of the dudes they interview on the mayday episode after this shit causes a tragedy.

High Quality -> Higher Demand/Supply -> Higher price
Lower Quality -> Lower Demand/Supply -> Lower price

That's Economics 101

But if you want Pajeets stealing US jobs then OK for you, because it don't matter anyways since at the end even the pajeet's jobs will be automated.

Not that same guy. But if it's low price, that could mean there's too much supply, thus convoluting the market. In the case of India, a country of a billion people and how many IT people, that could very much be the case. If they're outsourcing the easy jobs to pajeets, then the high supply could be plausible because many people will be able to do the easy tasks. This leads to lower price.

Because engineering shouldn't be taught at university, it should be at the technical collages with the electricians and the plumbers.

Universities are first and foremost institutions dedicated to finding novel information, that's why we love the sciences since they introduce the most important form of new information. Of the few engineers who actually go into academia, almost all of their papers are gender studies level bullshit where they vaguely compare some exciting theoretical principle to what they've learned in engineering.

Research in engineering should be driven by private business anyway.

And yeah science undergrads are pissed off because despite studying almost the exact same content they can't get jobs in engineering or medicine. Science degrees are for art students who think they're better than all the other art students.

I agree with this, desu, I've heard a lot of engineering professors and industry professionals complain about the current system. One guy I met with put it best: if the goal of a university is to turn someone into an engineer in four years, then they need to remove the gen ed requirements, and if the goalis to turn someone into a well-rounded individual that is also an engineer, then you need more than four years - you can't have both.