HISPASAT 30W-6 Mission

>SpaceX is targeting a Falcon 9 launch of the Hispasat 30W-6 satellite to a Geostationary Transfer Orbit (GTO) on Tuesday, March 6 from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida. The two-hour launch window opens at 12:33 a.m. EST, or 5:33 UTC. The Hispasat 30W-6 satellite will be deployed approximately 33 minutes after launch.
>A two-hour backup launch window opens on Wednesday, March 7 at 12:33 a.m. EST, or 5:33 UTC.
>SpaceX will not attempt to land Falcon 9’s first stage after launch due to unfavorable weather conditions in the recovery area off of Florida’s Atlantic Coast.

Stream live in about 4 hours.
youtube.com/watch?v=Kpfrp-GMKKM

Other urls found in this thread:

flightradar24.com/GLF6/109fcbb4
mmsonline.com/articles/getting-the-time-out-of-titanium
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Orlando fag here, Waiting for launch with mosquitoes.

>>SpaceX will not attempt to land Falcon 9’s first stage after launch due to unfavorable weather conditions in the recovery area off of Florida’s Atlantic Coast.
huh.

wtf. They're using titanium grid fins, and just throwing that shit away in the ocean. Aren't they $xm per fin? Which is why Elon was so happy the two side boosters of heavy landed back successfully?

It's an older Block 4 booster. They're still recovering the ones they can for data, but they're working on phasing out everything but the Block 5's.

its got Ti grid fins for no fucking reason

Making the customer happy is more important. Every extra day a geo bird isn’t operational is money lost by the company. TVM and such

They were probably planning on recovering it but weather isn't going to allow it, and the value of recovering the hardware isn't worth delaying the launch.

its almost like reusability is starting to look more and more like a meme

To elaborate, it isn’t worth it to stand down and remove the fins at this point. This mission has already been delayed - often launch contracts reduce payment by x amount for every n days past the original launch date. For example, fomosat.

refer to

lolwhat? Successfully launching the payload is still the primary goal. They don’t even really need this b4 booster anyways. They are probably saving money by not bothering to recover it either way - and they already have plenty of stages lying around

everything you just furthers my point. Thank you.

everything you just said*

A single case of bad weather forcing an ASDS landing to be cancelled, for a useless block iv booster, renders reusability a meme? Lmao. Are you actually retarded?

yep, he’s retarded folks.

Is is just me or have space threads been extra stupid lately due to trolls/morons? It’s honestly annoying

it costs thousands of dollars to pay for the recovery vessels, port fees, tugboats, crane crew, road transportation, security detail, safeing operations, and not to mention storage. They’re ALREADY purposefully throwing away stages that can be recovered to make room for block 5. For all we know they are testing a new profile for the ti fins anyways. Don’t be dumb.

The grid fins are multiple million $ per fin, friend.

Also, landing legs are not free, and yet, the ocean gets three of them.

it's still up in the air if they could recover it in the first place. it's a 6-ton GTO sat. heavier that anything else they've recovered.

I bet they didn't think they had a good chance of recovery in the first place, thus not bothering to stand down for a day or remove the gridfins. That way they can still do whatever crazy new reentry burn profile to test out landing a 6-ton sat mission. It's not like they're losing money on the launch.

plus, Ti fins are quite different dimension wise than Al fins. Close-up pics of the hinge mechanism shows that they can't exactly be hot swapped iirc.

Either way, spacex has determined that it is worth it to lose this core. Why, we might not ever know.

I stand corrected, they are the same mounting structures

Today’s stage

Oh look, yet another launch from one of the most dishonest companies in the history of private space travel. Seriously each launch following the Falcon family as they “revolutionize the launch industry” has been indistinguishable from the rest. Aside from the meme landings, the company’s only party trick has been to overwork and underpay its employees to reduce launch costs, all to make the mythical “full and rapid reuse” seem effective.

Perhaps the die was cast when Musk vetoed the idea of ambitious yet realistic missions like Red and Grey Dragon; he made sure the company would never be mistaken for an innovative force to anything or anybody, just ridiculously questionable government contracts for his companies. SpaceX might be profitable (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-NASA in its refusal of wonder, science and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the landings are cool though
"No!"
The camerawork is dreadful; the landings of the charred boosters are boring. As I watch, I noticed that every time a Falcon 9 lands, Musk said either “self-sustaining civilization on Mars” or “imagine if you had a 747 and you threw it away after one flight.”

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time one of those phrases was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Musk's mind is so governed by clichés that he has no other style of thinking. Later I read a poorly-written news story on SpaceX by some fat web blogger. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are watching these launches now, surely they will work for SpaceX in the future and they too can have paychecks based off of government handouts." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you are a SpaceX fan, you are, in fact, trained to be a mindless supporter of government-funded billionaires.

LINGUINI

thanks for the bump, ragu

quick, post'em

>dishonest
go back to shitting in /tv/ in blade runner 2049 threads

SpaceX launch threads are my absolute favourite to shitpost in.

> X

agreed

Note where it splashed down and go salvage them yourself.

Just realized that it's been quite some time since we see an abort during countdown. >pic is getting less and less relevant. The new enemy seems to be upper level winds.

All of the aborts are now pre launch delays. Like the last six launches have all been pushed back due to fairing/GSE/sensor issues. But the countdowns have been going quite well, yes

Stream started

MUSIC!

50th launch for spacex !

here we go!

WE STREAM NAO

New first stage, whats the difference?

>reusability isn't a mem-

WTF IS TIHS

Saturn's moon, Pan

MARTINI

Meaning is just hasn't been used yet. Not a new design.

1/10 trolle attempt, desu. you literally aren't fooling anyone, it just shits up the thread.

the last of the block 4's interceptors

>mfw SpaceX is taking Hisapasats money just before they run them out of satellite internet business

kek

So, like if this is successful it means we will have an influx of more Africans and South Americans online?

7 days

PHOTONIC TECHNOLOGY

>make reusable rocket
>don't reuse it

2 MINUTES

not exactly. As Desch says, starlink will simply be a different type of comm system. He doesn't see it as a threat to iridium - you won't be able to use a handheld unit to talk to starlink like iridium can

READY FOR LAUNCH

They're phasing out the block 4's.

who's crinkling a crisps bag?

How nominal are things?

N O M I N A L
O
M
I
N
A
L

norminal

Will the first stage be recovered this time?

negative

No. Rough seas.

Nope

nope, seas are too high. Plus it was a very slim chance they recovered it in the first place - it's the heaviest payload they've (would have) attempted to recover the first stage of

flightradar24.com/GLF6/109fcbb4 might get footage of stage 1 landing

No, but it's still going through the motions. Nobody told the booster they didn't send out the drone ship.

So it still physically has enough fuel left for the reentry and landing burns?

spacex sure is launching a lot. 30 for 2018 is their goal

yeah. Meco velocity was 8232 km/h, so it's quite a heavy bird - landing might have not succeeded

Maybe. It was going to be close anyway, since this is the heaviest satellite they were going to attempt recovery from for a GTO launch.

Damn it feels good to be a spacer

Is there a similar graph that includes foreign launch providers?

>shuttle

thanks obama

>all those other lines going down on the graph

Press F to pay respect to titanium gridfins

no, but it would be easy to make

What is the current record of launches for any company per year so far?

I'm going to mars and no SLS shill is going to stop me buying that fucking ticket. I get that it may end up being a con, but I'm fucked if it's not a ridiculously long, risky and expensive con.

FFFF

F

What exactly makes them so expensive?
It seems like it's just a cast/machined block of titanium. Not cheap but not millions of dollars either.

SpaceX, they surpassed ULA's record last year.

This year's standings are currently
7 China
5 SpaceX
3 Japan
3 ULA
2 Russia
1 New Zealand

>tfw ULA

pack it up boys

it's the world's largest titanium casting by a large margin. Ti is super expensive and a bitch to work with. mmsonline.com/articles/getting-the-time-out-of-titanium

w-what is that?

Gonna go salvaging for dem rare fins yo

chase plane to get sweet footage of the landing

Was this booster the one used in the Falcon Heavy launch? I know the side boosters had titanium grid fins.

I never get tired of seeing the exhaust plume expand as it climbs.

fresh booster

damn the chinks are really stepping up on this,we gotta start dealing with this before they take over space and make the usa irrelevant

these fins are bigger than people think

In general the Falcon boosters are way bigger than people think.

the whole rocket is just bigger than most people think desu

Now THAT'S a bug zapper.