How often do you guys mess up during labs?

How often do you guys mess up during labs?

My lab instructor is a Korean woman who looks a lot like my highschool Japanese teacher. I keep accidentally calling her Sensei.

Quite often. Most of the time the little mistakes don't really matter, unless you're going for very high purity of yield. In ochem at least, yield didn't matter at all so you could be sloppy and get by.

me and my lab mate were tired and we tried to mesure a solid substance in a grad cylinder. Lab technician laughed a lot.

Forgot to say it was university level chemistry, by the way. We looked really retarded

well, what were you trying to measure? If there was water in the grad cylinder, then you wouldn't look stupid if you were just trying to calculate volume via displacement

It's ridiculously funny when the wrong liquid is used to rinse a filtered product and it just disappears XD

Once spilled a bunch of bee pheromones all over myself. That was a fun spring...

>someone puts plastic in the glass waste bin
>10pts off of EVERYONE's report

I love this too!

Mixed up the liquids during a titration lab and ended up titrating the acid against itself until I'd emptied the burette 2 times was pretty bad.
>"Wtf why isn't the shit turning pink, I must've reached the equivalence point by now.>:("

Read a few articles by Leonid Schneider and don't sweat it- even the "best" mess up all the time.

How long did the effects last and did a shower at all help?

All the damn time
I'm a severe klutz and my lab partners must think I've got Parkinson's at this point

"mess up"

fucked up thin layer chromatography about 20 times in a row trying to find the proper elution mixture

Yes, scientific misconduct and flat out lying is considered messing up these days (unless you've been doing it for more than a decade, in which case it's considered perfectly fine and your institute will even defend you).
We're in a post-facts era now, just look at all the statin-denialists. It's not gonna get better any time soon because feels>facts is increasingly true even in academia and there's no sign of that trend changing.

yesterday i injected a sample too deep in a depression on my electrophoresis gel, first time i'd done that, but had enough sample to cap it off, otherwise never broken a single glass and im a junior chem major

>lab partner keeps emailing me for my results for the easiest lab report of the semester

Ara Ara~ Japanese war crimes desu?

I set my desk on fire and left before it was out. They found me eating lunch.

Didn't know catholic schools teach chemistry lab

>university gen chem lab
>have to make silver compound or some shit
>everything is literally going too well
>last step is to add acetone the final product and heat*
>heat it like anything else ive ever done
>final product shoots out the 10cc test tube
>look again at the instructions
>*heat very slowly or else you'll lose your final product as it'll shoot out of your test tube
>lab professor took pity on me and gave me a C+

I've never been so fucking pissed in my life.

Never, I dont do labs since I swiched to mathematics
There was a guy at chem who made a volcano of a boiling acid chrome solution.
that was pretty neato

>spilling shit on the floor for no fucking reason

everyone fucks up, even pros. What matters if how good you are at troubleshooting shit really. Havnt broken glass in like 4 years though, feels good man.

>finish experiment which requires liquid nitrogen
>throw excess liquid nitrogen on the floor
best thing ever. that and breaking glass on purpose throwing it into glass waste bins, especially test tubes

>doing hydrolysis of silicones experiment
>starting reagent is Trimethylsilyl chloride
>dont read the COSHH that says under no circumstances handle it without gloves or a fumehood
>open that naughty bottle up, standing pretty far away
>take a (luckily) tiny breath in the vicinity and then suddenly
>FUCK ME AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>smells of the worst pain ive experienced, hydrolysis into HCl in your lungs, all that good shit

read the COSHH, lads

Chem students are losers

>Doing restriction enzyme cuts
>adding a billion different reagents in minute amounts
>forget if I added something already or not
>start over
countless times

Fucking pussy. TMSCl actually smells pretty good. The only time I've ever been scared in the lab is when some goofball charged triphosgene to a reactor outside of a fumehood and produced lethal amounts of phosgene gas. Nobody died, but was an interesting day. (Pharma lab, everyone that works with me has a PhD including myself)

Lab after hours is like nothing else.

I was a lab tech for a small college and would break so much glassware for fun. We also had a drawer full of mercury in various containers to fuck around with. One of my favorite fuck arounds was fusing gallium into an aluminum bat and smashing the bat to bits on the floor.

I will always have sweet memories of that stockroom, that office. Fuck. Ether scented dreams.

If you ask my lab partner, all the time.
I try to be a chill, dependable guy, but I'm so close to my limits. She can't reach the hood or safely do a lot of the things necessary so I end up doing all the physical stuff. If ANYTHING goes wrong it's my fault.
Not a big enough yield? user should have rinsed better.
The Schlenk Line malfunctions? user should have been more careful.
She even gives me a sour look when I mess up listing values.
And because she's in a wheelchair, I can't complain without sounding like a massive dick. So I just end up being a fucking lab dog, setting up equipment, running experiments, getting reagents, while she has nothing better to do than dictate every action to me and scrutinize me when I make the slightest error.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

maybe i got the reagent wrong, because what i smelt was just pain, it has no smell. worse than the time i huffed a massive amount of conc ammonia

hahh i actually have gallium on me, i love that stuff, the shit it does to aluminum blows my mind, i gotta try it on a bat, that sounds awesome to try. Yea i love the lab, although im biochem

I'm pretty good at my labs but my bio lab this semester is fucking killing me and my class.

I have the highest score in my class (88) but shit is just so frustrating. We have dumb math quizzes which are 40% of our grade, but they don't have anything to do with any of the experiments. Worst of all, the math concepts in question are never discussed in class (we have to learn it from another manual), we never get our quizzes back, and the professor doesn't let you see any graded work at office hours. So 40% of our grade is essentially a black box, and the actual experimental reports are only 6%. >:-(

>don't read instructions, don't understand procedure
>do procedure anyway, obviously fucking up in the process
>get mad

absolute brainlet, go away