Why are STEM fields so stigmatized in society?

youtube.com/watch?v=8xe6nLVXEC0
Does Veeky Forums know of a more useless video than "Don't Stay in School" by Boyinaband?
>mfw 23 million kids watched a video telling them that what they are learning in school is completely pointless
>mfw 23 million kids just learned that it isn't important to be able to do basic math and know basic science
Do you ever wonder why there have been no significant physical discoveries since Einstein? Is STEM seriously that hard to understand?
So my question is Veeky Forums, why are STEM fields so stigmatized in society for being inapplicable and boring when they are literally the foundation for modern society as we know it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eeEWPbTad_Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They're not stigmatized at all. In fact, in my country you're almost looked down upon if you're not in either engineering or medicine. Humanities is the field that's stigmatized, def not STEM

he has a point that school should teach you to deal with more practical problems as well, other than that no one cares what amerimutts tell other amerimutts to do

You sure got me, user.

It really shouldn't though
There's no practical problem schools need to teach

wrong

Refute it

These subjects are definitely important for kids to learn, but it's also true that many kids leave high school woefully unprepared for life

Speaks more about the shittiness of parents to be fair

he did it for me

on school we should learn how to hunt americucks and their negroids like animals.

You haven't said anything specific . There's nothing that needs to be taught to kids. If anything we need to teach more math so they can grow up to not be idiots that go "math is child abuse!!!"

school is good if you wanna actually do something with your knowledge

>Is STEM seriously that hard to understand?
Consider the normal distribution of intelligence. Further consider that the average IQ of engineers lies in the 115-125 range, and that only 15% of the population qualify at the bottom end of said average. The conclusion you should be able to draw is this: the masses lack the mental capacity to understand the mathematics and physics involved in mathematics and the natural sciences. It is due to this lack of understanding that average joe grows disinterested in STEM-fields.

>So my question is Veeky Forums, why are STEM fields so stigmatized in society for being inapplicable and boring when they are literally the foundation for modern society as we know it?
They ARE inapplicable and boring to the vast majority of people.

>You haven't said anything specific .
what the video

No. How about you think for yourself ? Tell me what YOU think.

examples mentioned in the video

See? This is why schools should be more rigorous academically and not focus on dumb shit like "practical skills"(news: the things you learned were practical ) .

Take this user, he is completely unable to articulate any kind of opinion himself and must redirect to others .

Sad.

The purpose of schooling: youtube.com/watch?v=eeEWPbTad_Q

Why do we live in an age of such anti intellectualism where being uneducated is cool?

similar situation here except the hierarchy goes IT>other STEM stuff>medicine>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>shit>>>>>>>humanities

>tfw everyone shits on the Pythagorean theorem
>hurr why do I need to know the hypertanus
>tfw most teachers fail to even try to get across that it's the basic formula for distance in general

This

>watch movie or tv show
>scientist is portrayed as smart, awkward, nervous guy
>scientists tries to explain something to main character
>”In english please!”
I like to think the media is behind this

yes it's the jews
now

impossible.

You STEMfags own the technology sector and you STILL feel persecuted. Fucking queers.

nope, humanities students are perceived as useless fruits and future McDonald's employees by most of the society

this is extremely sad

what the fuck are you projecting?
Yes everyone is equal and the world is awesome, now >>>/leftypol/

you know what I'm taking about.

I mean it's impossible that M.Ds are perceived inferior to the others and I.T (computer science?) as the best. Where do you live? I'm 100% positive you are delusional

The actual problem is that the complete system doesn't work. Yeah it's cool to have math in high school if you like it and you are going to go to college and do engineering or something, but it's not the case for everybody.

It needs to be more personalized. Every sane person hates school as it is now.

>Why are STEM fields so stigmatized in society?
Humanityfags are much more stigmatized than STEMfags.

>nobody mentions Jews
>He spergs out and blames the jews and says go back to /pol/

Do you realize that you are projecting kinda hard here?

You sure seem to be obsessed for someone who claims not to care.

Yup as I get older i'm amazed at how practical this knowledge is, it was even used to formulate the theory of general relativity.
Honestly as I get older I realize that people are too lazy.dumb to better their selves. After highschool I took 6 months off and in that time I taught myself electronics, economics, and another language, ahora puedo hablo espanol. My only gripe about college is just the amount of time classes take up from my own studying. There should really come a point in everyone's life where they should realize that others aren't obliged to spoon feed you information

>Do you ever wonder why there have been no significant physical discoveries since Einstein? Is STEM seriously that hard to understand?

It's because Einstein led us down a path full of ghosts that don't exist. Time travel, black holes and multiple dimensions..none of it can be proven. The last great inventor/scientist was Tesla, and he was an opponent of relativity.

It's not really like that. Movies like The Martian or Interestellar were pretty popular (and capeshit like Iron Man and Spiderman were you see them working or doing nerd things as a cool thing), and even here in sci you guys are always complaining about people how think they are cool for doing or liking science.

>relativity denier
t. brainlet
>m-muh Tesla denied relativity too
Tesla believed in a bunch of hocus-pokus; aside from his contributions to the development of electrical infrastructure in the US, his exploits weren´t particularly intellectually rigorous.
>Time travel, black holes and multiple dimensions..none of it can be proven.
Time travel doesn´t require anything more than relativistic physics. Multiverse theories, on the other hand, are not quite as grounded in observed spacetime.

/sci has gone to shit.
watch this :

faggot.

due to the current political climate and retarded policies concerning medical internships, medbros are considered whiny entitled sissies for wanting to make a comfortable living wage on a compulsory internship in public clinics/hospitals with extremely limited slots and not being overworked to shit because of staff shortages

didn't Tesla believe in the aether?

>rap
oh i miss the times where the city intellectuals did not have to see such plebs

Indoctrinated cuck. Thinks Einstein is an infallible genius and Tesla was some crazy brainlet.

I see you paid attention in your government sponsored indoctrination center.

>High school is a microcosm of the real world

Dave isn't anti education or anti science, he just thinks the current k-12 curriculum is dumb. Which is true. He has bad ideas on how to fix it, but at least the sentiment is in the right place.

Most people don't emotionally mature past where they were in high school, so yes.

>quadratic equation is "abstract maths"

yikes

Nice to what country is it that i need to move?

probably a third world country with very little actual achievement of note in STEM, social policies like that are done because those pursuits are viewed as ways out of poverty, not because they are academically meritous.

this, I can almost guarantee is from some post-soviet country
t. someone from a post-soviet country

nope, it's belgium.

you're extremely autistic and/or have a poorly formed social circle if you even remotely believe what you wrote
t. belgian

>I can almost guarantee
>because I am from a post Soviet country
Kys brainlet

>It needs to be more personalized.

A teacher for every pupil!
Personal tailored timetables!
It's all about YOU!

How do you plan to fund this 'personalization' of education?

The way school systems are now are just as much a product of social necessity and circumstance where a viable solution to change and meet those radical changes which so many desire just have not been found yet. There are not even enough teachers in this present era to afford decent attention to every single pupil that gets shunted into their class nor are kids nowadays even within a society which pushes behaviours which are conducive to 'education' anyway what with their constant need for instant gratification and need to check 'social media' 24/7 to consider themselves validated and alive.

Well, you took it to the extreme. I didn't mean that. I just said more personalized. Making a kid study math when it's obvious he doesn't like it, doesn't make sense.

>he has a point that school should teach you to deal with more practical problems as well,
That's the trouble with education. By the time things like mathematics start to be applied to real world problems and the abstract concepts you spent 11 years memorizing by rote before the test start to come together, most students have already lost interest. because "what am I ever going to need this for?"

Public schools in the US already spend more per student than parents spend to send their children to private schools. Negro genocide is the only answer.

He's not saying it's not important to learn basic math or science, he's saying that important, day to day info is completely absent from schools in the place of stuff that is worthless to people who don't want to pursue the subject. Schools are notorious for turning kids into test taking machines, rather than thinkers. I don't know about you, but if anything, school damaged my ambition for STEM.

STEM fields are stigmatized? Maybe in 53% land, not anywhere else. There have been no huge discoveries since Einstein because he gave the final push to a long buildup towards breakthrough.

There is a big flaw in this thinking. You won't ever be able to think in a mathematical way if you don't even have the tools. For instance, it is extremely unlikely that someone who doesn't know negative exponential function will be able to interpret some phenomena in the real world and predict its behavior like the said function. Thus one thinks exponential function is useless and so on.

I fully enjoyed most of the subjects in high school, and I recognize that getting the basics in every subject is really useful to anyone in the contemporary world (basic mechanics notions, function modelling, argumentation, ecology). But I really had an issue with chemistry. There's no reason that stuff like atom models, in/organical chemistry, or thermochemistry are going to be useful for anyone outside chemistry.

I learned everything slightly useful from chemistry in middle school.

The school system NEEDS to be personalized or you're gonna end up with people (1) thrown up into career decision and will take stupid decisions (2) filled with useless knowledge they had to study a lot to 'pass' (3) eventually getting demotivated from the subjects they're not interested in and developing 'hate' or 'fear' towards the subject (4) studying 'for the test' and not grasping the important notions of the subject.

Integral education is a meme born out from humanism. Yeah, learning a lot of stuff is important and many people are cool with it. But why force kids to strive with useless subjects that they're not interested in just for the sake of fulfilling a baseless ideology?

That's why there are mathematical courses specially designed for sociologists, biologists, physicists, etc.

>There's no reason that stuff like atom models, in/organical chemistry, or thermochemistry are going to be useful for anyone outside chemistry.
idiot

>There's no reason that stuff like atom models, in/organical chemistry, or thermochemistry are going to be useful for anyone outside chemistry

>there have been no significant physical discoveries since Einstein
This is your brain on popsci

Math & Science in High School is indispensable basic knowledge for those who wanna become a scientist, mathematician, engineer or a medical doctor.

If you wanna work in Mc Donalds or Wall Mart then yes it's useless for you.

And if you think that Nursing don't need Math & Science then please don't complain in future if a Nurse kill your old mom in Hospital due to a mistake in medicine dosage prescription.

Yeah, you people are braindead, or undergrads. Then again, what's the difference?

Tell me how

>that stuff like atom models
>in/organical chemistry

and

>thermochemistry

Have never mattered to anyone outside of pure chem.

Please tell me how.

>There's no reason that stuff like atom models, in/organical chemistry, or thermochemistry are going to be useful for anyone outside chemistry.

The entire pharmaceutical, chemical & pharmaceutical industries are built upon these concepts.

If you don't know very well about these things you aren't qualified even to become a fucking Nutritionist let alone becoming a Veterinarian or Nurse.

And it's unthinkable to a Medical doctor to not know Chemistry.

video related's demographic base are retail workers FYI

In Poo-Land if you do not take science stream in 11th class(Which is Physics,Chemistry,Math)

Society looks down upon you so much that you have to go to the jungle 10 km away to poo instead of the city shitting street where all the kewl kids shit.

Thankfully I was smart and took Science so i get to keep my street shitting privilege

To support OP's argument.

>Work my ass off to get into the best university in my country.
>I'm slow and stupid but put in all the work.
>Learn to love math and science and use it to motivate me.
>Finally get accepted after years of hard work.
>Applied to the most competitive engineering [mech eng]
>get accepted.
>start see more theory.
>say its ok the day will come where in my second year hopefully, i will apply the shit im learning
>3 years have passed and no application in fucking MECH ENG.
>I have lost all motivation and im looking for internships.

>I have come to learn that all the school system is:
>write down the givens
>write down what you need to find
>apply equations and formulas from formula sheet.
>oops too many unknowns for the number of missing variables
>use trig. trick or PV=nRT fill in the blanks >solve for unknown
>repeat this for 4 more years and get a degree.

Honestly the system is fucking retarded
That is not even mentioning the fucking retarded professors teaching us who dont give too shits half ass the class and go back to doing their research.

I never thought i would say that, but with all my heart fuck this fucking retarded educational system.

>american education

canadian

then I'm sorry about that
a proper college education should NEVER be the high school shit "dude just put the formula in lamo"
every single test problem or oral exam should be problematic, in a way that you can't apply the formulas from class and have to think of a way to make it work

some classes do that...
but even then its the same shit.
its just a loop hole that you have to find
grading system is trash.

>most competitive engineering (mech eng)
What country are you from?

I´m willing to bet a lot of money on engineering physics, automation technology, computer science, biotech and a plethora of other subjects requiring higher SAT/ACT (or their equivalent in your country) scores than mech eng.

at my uni
it used to mech eng when i applied
-->>

>undergrad
You have your answer, as an engineer just plug and chug

>Do you ever wonder why there have been no significant physical discoveries since Einstein?
Wait, what? This is actually patently false, if we're talking about physics past 1916 then we have the birth of qm and qft, the founding of qed, qcd, and qfd (which amounts to the discovery of two entirely new forces of nature and revolutionized our understanding of atoms. qed is also the most accurate theory ever conceived). The entire field of condensed matter physics has also blossomed with the discovery of superconductivity, revolutions in the study of phase transitions, topological ordering, etc... Our understanding of cosmology has also rapidly grown since the early 1900's to the point that our knowledge before pails compared to what we know now, certainly qualifying as a "significant physical discovery". In the nano world conjugated polymers (yes this is nanophysics, just cause chemists also study this doesn't make it not in the domain of physics as well), graphene, and other "wonder materials" are also promising to be quite important and have already had some pretty substantial impact. Let's not forget the founding of biophysics and all the applications thereof. Seriously, just look at the list of nobel prizes awarded in physics for the past 100 years, all of them physically significant, and that's not even the totality of all the results that have been found. Just cause some people are stupid doesn't mean physics has stagnated.

>pails
Fuck me, "pales", it's like 5 in the morning I'm not functioning right, time for bed

I don't think you quite understand the situation lad.
Yes, you're plugging and chugging, and it's not intellectually stimulating enough.
but guess what: actual engineering jobs are even worse.
The vast majority of people do stuff in their job that's simpler than what they did in their studies. Because no one is gonna pay you a salary for something you might not be able to do.

You might think the job of an engineer is coming up daily with cool and innovative solutions to new problems. It's not.
The only people who do innovation are either freelance inventors/entrepreneurs, or researchers.

Brainlets undervalue the significance of progress in solid state physics, more news at 11

They're not stigmatized, stop being a victim.

>Not mentioning M-theory
*a wild lumidek appears*

Whoa there, you see I covered my bases by saying "and that's not even the totality of all the results that have been found". Back to your blog lumo.

A poor defense, arguably the most important discovery of the 20th century in theoretical physics and you don't even mention it.
I smell an engineer's saliva from your cock.

Attached: unnamed.jpg (189x229, 9K)

I agree, I need to see more challenging and fulfilling problems.

It is rare that I agree 100% with something and I agree 100% with that video. Though, that has nothing to do with what you are talking about, OP. I'm old enough to remember being in Homec class (home economics) for only 1 year before it was removed statewide (nationwide too?) You know, that thing no one seems to be taught anymore,

>Home economics, domestic science or home science is a field of study that deals with the economics and management of the home, family and community.

Being taught math will help you only so far. Being taught how to manage your finances or balance your checkbook, with the math you are being taught instead of, 'how many pineapples does Jimmy have'; would be a lot better.

It is only true if you work in a call center.

Attached: tmp-name-2-10378-1505940857-2_dblbig.jpg (625x415, 64K)

not more challenging.
If anything tests should be abolished.
instead students should make videos or lecture notes where they show that they can teach the material. [that would be testing your understanding]
the second necessary test would be the application where they send you on internships or have you make a project.
The project would be supervised by Grad students who are T.A's and the Professors. In the case of the internships the company manager or your supervisor wirtes a report on you.

Like this they prepare you for the real shit.

What a fucking autistic system we have in place. Fucking writing exams, what sort of autism is this

Attached: DAMN.gif (300x169, 1.35M)

Because normies are fucking retarded.

why the scatophobia?

The video in the OP isn't about not being educated. It is about selecting the correct education for life.

Pajeet get out

>Every sane person hates school as it is now.
y, yeah user. No one enjoyed the classes they took in school. I totally didn't

Attached: yeahh.png (307x283, 116K)

>A teacher for every pupil!
>Personal tailored timetables!
>It's all about YOU!
That's a pretty wild misrepresentation of what he said. I'm pretty sure he only meant kids should be able to choose to focus more on the subjects they're interested in from a younger age and avoid learning all the things they don't care about and in all likelihood will never use. You don't need to increase the number of teachers to achieve that if you're smart about it.

maybe in america, over here in europe you're pretty well regarded by all of society if you're intellectual

>You can either work in STEM or be a brainlet retail worker and there is no in between

Are you an idiot? you get rid of bullshit like "no child left behind" and other such non-sense. Like actually leaving their asses behind until they do it right.