Calculators

Used one of these recently. It was weird.

12 x 2 is done like this.

12 > Enter key > 2 > multiplication key

reverse polish notation is the chad way of using a calculator

Been using HPs since '82. For programmable calculators, RPN kicks ass.

how old are people on Veeky Forums? you must be like 50 if you were using calculators in 82
how do old people even find their way to Veeky Forums anyway?

>RPN kicks ass.
Parentheses, we don't need to show you no stinking parentheses.
Fifty-five here, user. Found it a decade ago through a Fark thread. For the record, you're only as old as the people you feel.

GO AWAY GRAMPS

Postfix is amazing in general. I really ought to get around to learning Forth.

damn, i'm 20 and feel like i've been shitposting here for ages
do you mainly stick to the smaller boards? i feel like the bigger boards like /a/ /b/ /pol/ /r9k/ and the like are where younger people are, and smaller boards like Veeky Forums and /trv/ are an older demographic.

/a/, /g/, /diy/, Veeky Forums, and Veeky Forums along with brief forays into /co/, /e/, and /h/, although mention of /b/tards was my introduction..
Insomnia is a harsh mistress.

>/a/
>55
what anime do you watch?

I'm a dilettante, at best. This season it's been Mahoutsukai no Yome, Miira no Kaikata, and Hakumei to Mikochi.

>I really ought to get around to learning Forth.
You should. If nothing else, the mindset that programming languages are tools for creating the domain specific language that you need to easily express your solution to a problem will serve you well.

>dilettante at anime

redundant. Anime is aggressively low brow

Dilettante says nothing about the worth of the material at, ahem, hand. One can be a domain expert on ecchi harem comedies, for instance.

60. My first real calculator was the 41C.
One of my profs was Wickes, the guy who made the goose fly backwards.

my mom has had this exact one my entire life rly makes me happi

I have an HP. The stack method is a little unintuitive at first but I much prefer it to TI when calculating physics stuff.

>12 > Enter key > 2 > multiplication key

How else would you do it?

>how do old people even find their way to Veeky Forums anyway?
How do young people find their way here? For young folks, there's a morass of existing web sites. For old folks, it's "there's a new blip."

How do you do anything more complicated?
>(12*2)/(4+3)
> 12 2 4 3 ( × ) / ( )

Because RPN is for autists who like making things more complicated.

RPN is fine at assembler level since pushing a popping from the stack is natural there.

But as a UI for a calculator - hell no.
Pretty print input instead, we're not animals.

>ancient poster
its an honour replying to you

>(12*2)/(4+3)
12 Enter 2 * 4 Enter 3 + /

Print input is for primary school children, like sounding out letters and making dioramas with glitter and glue sticks.

bullshit
writing out for example a weird combination of integrals, summation and complex numbers has nothing to do with child's play

Whatever, cakeboy.