Whats your favourite planet and why?

Whats your favourite planet and why?
Mines Saturn, it seems so serene compared to turbulent Jupiter and the frigid ice planets. Also rings.

Attached: planetes.jpg (520x520, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cGm7KCIhb5Q
missionjuno.swri.edu/junocam/processing
missionjuno.swri.edu/junocam/processing?id=4118
theplanetstoday.com/names_of_planets_and_moons_solar_system.html
windows2universe.org/our_solar_system/moons_table.html
go-astronomy.com/planets/planet-moons.htm
planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/Page/Planets
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Probably Mars. It's the one we know best besides Earth, has an interesting history, etc.

Only thing Mars has going for it is a cool name desu. Its a rocky wasteland and not in a cool way like Venus or Mercury.

Venus is cool, but Mercury? That just seems like the moon only not.

Mars actually does have a lot of interesting things on it. Vallis Marineris, Olympus Mons, icecaps, etc. Plus the search for historical evidence of water and maybe even life is interesting too.

Earth, its got McDonalds

P A N
A
N

Attached: wut.webm (1024x1024, 251K)

>Mercury
I think I just find inhospitable planets more interesting. Wonder if we could conquer it? Massive solar arrays on the sunny side and some sort of megacity in the shade

>Venus doesn't have an atmosphere
>Jupiter and Saturn in the wrong spots
>pluto is there

this diagram is shit

stfu Ju

We'd do the first settlements at the poles in permanently shadowed craters, and expand towards the equator by constructing underground settlements under reflective dome shades during the ~3360 hour long nights.

At the poles essentially limitless power would be generated continuously via solar towers poking up into eternal sunlight, which would directly power the polar settlements but would also use CO2 and water to generate hydrocarbon fuels and oxygen to power new settlements away from the poles that didn't have their own fission reactors yet. The products of the combustion of those hydrocarbon fuels would be shipped back north/south to be turned back into fuel and oxygen with solar energy again.

Surface roads would exist only to access new building sites, and after they were established would be connected to the rest of the planet via high speed trains in underground tunnels.

Would there even be a need for fission? Surely solar would be much safer and generate more power? Mounting the panels on towers above craters is genius btw, the whole thing sounds comfy af.

Attached: colony.jpg (770x309, 52K)

I think we should rename Uranus to Ouranos. Its the original Greek spelling of the name and ends that retarded joke.

Attached: Ouranos.jpg (700x700, 39K)

You need a power source for the roughly 140 Earth-day long night on Mercury. Power generated at the poles can only be directly transmitted through wires so far before losses become too extreme. Imagine a power plant in China sending electricity all the way to a building in France. Using the power to make hydocarbons and oxygen would work, but it'd be best to save those fuels for new developments that needed a source of energy that was easy to transport and relatively trivial to use.

As nice as they may seem, giant orbital mirrors would be non-trivial to set up and maintain. Mercury has plenty of fissile and fertile material in its crust, why not use it? Also fission power is already the number one safest form of power generation int the world, and we currently use pressurized water reactors, which are the least stable and most potentially dangerous design of nuclear power plant.

Solar power flux at Mercury is between 5 and 11 kilowatts per square meter depending on where Mercury is in its elliptical orbit. Straight up solar panels are a bad idea because past a certain photon flux they saturate, and even worse they suffer performance losses at high temperature. A much more efficient system would be to use thin mirrors to reflect light onto heat exchangers full of molten metal or molten salt. We already do this on Earth, but on Mercury the power density would be insane by comparison. The hot fluid would then be used to drive a Brayton cycle generator using water, supercritical CO2, or helium as a working fluid, with radiators in the shade to dump waste heat.

One advantage of life on Mercury is that the lack of any atmosphere makes it pretty easy to handle the extremely hot days. All you need is a multi-layer metal foil dome, reflective on top and black on the bottom, to prevent the temperature from ever rising above cryogenic on the surface you're building under.

U can name Ur anus whatever u want lol xD

>our anus

Attached: Sir+im+single+and+i+still+dont+understand+how+feelings+_5f087132a19bbbf2ff7fc59e2bd406dc.jpg (500x500, 47K)

ma boy

Attached: wzv7rwawve5y.jpg (4500x4500, 947K)

Uranus? More like Myanus

Attached: ALAN.JOHNSONS.BEAMER.jpg (715x404, 49K)

>Massive solar arrays on the sunny side and some sort of megacity in the shade

Mercury isn't tidally locked, it has a day-night cycle. Specifically it rotates three times for every two orbits of the Sun, making its solar day 176 Earth days long even though it only takes 59 days to rotate all the way around its axis.

>tfw autistic enough to have memorized most of the major moons of the solar system including those around all of the planets and a few Kuiper belt objects

Earth, because the others are all dead

youtube.com/watch?v=cGm7KCIhb5Q

Depends what for.
To 'wow' others with a look through my scope: Saturn.
To watch interesting events in real time: Jupiter.
Too feel like I've accomplished to very difficult (in actually even seeing it): Pluto.
To see phases: Venus.
To see something close to the Sun: Mercury.
To say "Hi" to an old friend and watch details emerge at opposition: Mars.
To live: Earth.

Have to wonder what kind of Lovecraftian horrors dwell beneath the clouds here.

Attached: neptune-storm.jpg (736x551, 24K)

Earth, I like that it's keeping me alive
Jupiter is second though, most beautiful clouds

Attached: 20171216.jpg (1080x1080, 212K)

fuck off nigger

projecting

Earth.

It is full of incredible creatures and landscapes, it is by far the most beautiful and interesting planet in the known universe, it is home.

More clouds followed by clouds.

Why am I scared of pictures of planets? I'm seriously unhinged by their stark contrast against the void.

Attached: IMG_1729.jpg (960x949, 66K)

Pluto may not be a planet but it is by far has the most appealing surface.

There's the heavy hand of an artist in those images though.

or a heavy handed algorithm

Maybe what your actually afraid of is the subconscious realization of the futility of your own existence--a speck on a speck on a speck in a sea of specks that shift like the tides in peaks and crashes that could erase everything you ever have or will know in the blink of a cosmic eye.

Or it could be because you think there's a spooky space clown in the dark. Shit idk. I watched my grandfather die today.

Nibiru. My dad came from there.

Aside that for our current convention Pluto isn't a planet, surprisingly enough there could be life there.
According to some models it's possible there is liquid water inside the planet.

>i don't understand what image processing is

missionjuno.swri.edu/junocam/processing

Prepare Uranus

Attached: Prepare Uranus.jpg (800x800, 70K)

I understand what image processing is, which is why I, and he, said what we did.

>The types of image processing we’d love to see range from simply cropping an image to highlighting a particular atmospheric feature, as well as adding your own color enhancements, creating collages and adding advanced color reconstruction.

if you think that's the same thing as what an artist does with an empty canvas, you're moronic

If you think an artist only works with an empty canvas, you're moronic.

i don't see what exactly is wrong with cropping, color enhancements, the basic information, this different from that, remains the same

Cloud scapes far more massive and complex than any mountain range that could be found on earth.. Flying through the upper atmosphere would be epic

>Surface roads would exist only to access new building sites
Small suggestion: don't take those roads during the day.

>color enhancements
Color enhancements can drastically change the look and feel of a photo.
The colors in Jupiter's clouds could be much more muted than they appear in those processed photos, and appear to be in the raws
missionjuno.swri.edu/junocam/processing?id=4118
Now that's not exactly a bad thing, because when you're analyzing the storm systems having the high contrast makes it easier to analyze but from a viewer perspective you shouldn't expect that to be what you would see if you were orbiting Jupiter.

>you shouldn't expect that to be what you would see if you were orbiting Jupiter

cameras are not human eyes in any case

That's true, but also beside the point.
The point is what the artists' goals are when they take those photos and process them. Are they going for realism or are they trying to make an impression?

Myself, I try to process my photos so that they look as close to what I saw as possible.

send me there so i can describe what i see

don't forget about the high pressure Ices

I would if I could.

That fucking Venus pic, it looks nothing like that. it actually looks like a featureless white cue ball.

Still, I like Venus because it's so fucking ridiculous in every aspect, the temp, pressure, clouds of sulphuric acid.

Attached: 3447783055_7201387b94_o.png (1000x1024, 938K)

>Whats your favourite planet and why?

earth
comfy temperature

Attached: Pluto.jpg (1600x900, 86K)

If you liked venus you would know that's how it should look like under the clouds.
Not OP, I just admit it's a more interesting pic than a white ball.

Venus is far more aesthetic with its atmosphere than that orange monstrosity.

Attached: 600px-Venus_in_Real_Color.jpg (600x600, 17K)

But I like Uranus!

t. the inmates on Cell Block C

obviously, but you need to access new areas by land somehow, so you build a road at night.

How deep underground on Mars do you have to dig to reach Earth normal temperatures & pressures?

Earth doesn't look like that either

Just think about it. It's hundreds of thousands of miles of same-color, perfect, undisturbed gentle light blue. It's so, so beautiful. I love uranus, it's just aesthetically wonderful.

Yeah, that's something I'm actually with the flat earthers on. NASA's shitty composites that they release as images of Earth are embarassingly bad when compared to real photos.

Attached: 21513743779_1ece49b0f6_k.jpg (2048x2012, 2.09M)

I made an effort to know the largest 30 or so bodies several months ago. Frustratingly, the list gets very complex very quickly if you sort by diameter, mass, and related metrics (and add more objects).

Serious pet peeve of mine, even some videos showing Venus in space show Goatse Venus rather than its true appearance.

Although granted its important data as you can't see the surface, but still.

Probably pretty deep

It's only featureless like that during the solstices, when the poles are pointed at the Sun. Uranus actually becomes pretty stormy during most of its year.

Attached: 769eea06a930cbd704306486f8fed9e8.jpg (236x236, 4K)

>pressure
Atmospheric pressure would be the same.

Attached: pVw6Gtl.jpg (1074x605, 72K)

That's a beauty.

lol a fraudulent fantasy history, likely so wrong it's pathetic
did you fall for the comet ice theory before it exploded into nothing ?
you should understand science is 50% or more fantasy nowadays

Where's niburu you god damned slacker?

>group faggot sexer detected

one wonders how many faggot shoop artists and puter vid fuckloaders they have hired nowadays - if we find out it's already the vast majority no surprise here
oh yeah, i'm burning angry about it

how about that stupid nasa bitch that announced silicon life form - watch that conference ? knew she was full of shit the day it hit - it took em i don't know how many years to expose that fraud bitch

Attached: angry.jpg (225x225, 7K)

man you fuckers are slow

I'm sorry for your loss user. I'll have a beer in his honor

Neptune easily has the best name so it takes the cake for me.

earth, for obvious reasons

Trappist-1e

>Venus doesn't have an atmosphere
t. Brainlet

where did the water come from?

Just a shame that the radiation would turn pretty much any human into a over toasted pop tart.

Closet we can get to Jupiter is Callisto.

He means the fact that when they display the planets and even have videos that depict them in space they show the Magellan radar data rather than what Venus actually should look like from outer space.

>What's your favourite planet and why?

Planet Nein because Nein Planet has eight (8) natural satellites (moons) with really neat IAU names;
1. Ephesus, 2. Smyrna, 3. Pergamum, 4. Thyatira, 5. Sardis, 6. Philadelphia, 7. Laodicea, 8. Patmos.

No Planet is Nein Planet, says IAU, but it's still my favourite.

Attached: 1520741480988.gif (640x480, 695K)

theplanetstoday.com/names_of_planets_and_moons_solar_system.html
windows2universe.org/our_solar_system/moons_table.html
go-astronomy.com/planets/planet-moons.htm
planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/Page/Planets

The image of Venus is a radar mapping of its surface done by the 1989 Magellan spacecraft

Neptune has the fastest winds in the solar system.

The image of Venus in the diagram is a radar image made by JPL's Magellan probe.

imagine being on a planet all alone. Imagine being on mars or neptune or venus and how loud and powerful the winds would be, or how hostile the entire planet is. Think about the volcanoes and deadly air all around you. That’s a scary feeling user.

I know, the point I make is they show that rather than what Venus actually looks like when viewed from outer space whilst the other planets are pretty much as they should look like (or the closet we can get).

I have nothing against the image, just annoying how it seems to replace every true image of Venus when depicted.

Planet Mars
>Population: 1
>Ethnicity - 100% White

Attached: the-martian-smiling-166847.jpg (655x380, 47K)

There's nothing inherently special about "true-colour" optical images.

Jupiter
seems pretty comfy to fall into
It's density would slowly embrace you until you reach equilibrium with the ambient
Then you fly with the wind until you die