Computer Science general

What are you studying/learning right now?

Attached: 1506733907699.jpg (1000x562, 123K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fc17.ifca.ai/preproceedings/paper_80.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=jM2LBTUEImw
youtu.be/cnK1E3yZGx0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Made this thread earlier today , i.e. I read up a bit on hash functions.

I'm also doing some smart contract programming on the side (NEO) as it's challanging and financially rewarding. I'm implementing this
fc17.ifca.ai/preproceedings/paper_80.pdf
(which has a reference implementation on Ethereum). If anybody is interested, hit me up.

I'm also a shill for Idris, but didn't find much time for that lately.

Attached: code_review_NEO_smart_contract.png (639x357, 274K)

>Computer Science
not science or math

>Computer Science

>Computer
>Science

>Science

I didn't know Veeky Forums couldn't read.

I bet you think political "science" is science too.

About to go to grad school next semester boys AMA

>only physics discussion allowed

Attached: 1516003050252.png (250x202, 8K)

I'm going to the gym real quick. When I get back, I have questions to ask you.

Hey Anons why is our field filled with greedy pieces of shit only in it for the money and why do colleges support them by making the degree easier to get with each passing year

How do you like programming blockchain-related stuff? Is it simple enough to get into? I've thought about doing it for a while as just a way to get some cash on the side, but haven't found the time to get into it.

It's math.

Because it's literally THE easiest path to making a comfortable salary in today's world if you aren't a mega-brainlet.

This is one of the biggest problems with a computer science degree currently. The media believes computer science will land you 6 figures instantly with great job security in silicon valley. And universities buy into this thought as well. The narrative is fed by large companies supposedly claiming there is a talent shortage and they "simply can't hire fast enough". This is passed down to gullible high school students, current college students, and even oldies that have a degree already, thinking "oh, talent shortage, that means it'll be SUPER easy to get a super high paying job". Thus, they flood the universities. The problem is... when companies say there is a talent shortage, they don't allude to a true talent shortage. There is WAY MORE than enough talent out there currently. These companies actually mean talent that can actually think algorithmically and have a true passion for computer science. As in, they participate in hackathons/competitions, code in their free time, take algorithm design, challenge themselves, and just 'get it'. Obviously, a lot of people don't realize this until they're several years into their degree. This is the reason why those large companies hire straight from CMU, Stanford, MIT, Berkeley, and the likes. Those students are getting degrees that are more theory and math focused than programming focused. Thus, they not only know how to program, but they can think abstractly and solve problems with any given programming language. Note, the key difference here is they know how to solve the problem, not the *program*.

Part 1 of 2

Now, to bring this back to the academic/university level. Universities have this massive flood of students intending to major in computer science. These students believe computer science is simply just programming until they have a major shock and realize it has way more math in it. A lot of them drop out and it makes the university look bad. Thus, the university lightens the course load or tries to cater the degree to software engineering, because that's where most students want to end up anyway (not in a true computer *science* research position). As such, the degree becomes easier and easier. There are even universities beginning to hand out software engineering focused degrees because of this.

The reality is... most software engineering positions pay shit. I think the true average is around like 60k starting in Pennsylvania, which is not great. That's like almost a teacher salary. Most positions are monotonous, shitty, web dev or automation. Only the 'cool' positions are for research or people with a math degree or other highly applicable degree with a specific focus and application of programming and computer science.

Part 2 of 2

man what the fuck? $60 is a perfectly good salary.

>60k
>perfectly good salary
Are you a type B personality?

>I think the true average is around like 60k starting in Pennsylvania, which is not great.
That's actually pretty damn good.

Attached: IMG_1741.gif (500x375, 756K)

At my internship (as a sophomore) this past Summer, I was making the equivalent of 80k and their return offer was equivalent to 85k. Making 60k starting full-time is barely enough to live on.

Yeah seriously. You gotta be pretty out-of-touch with reality or be living in California (same difference) if you think 60k is "not good".

are you on fucking drugs?

i hope to work a job doing around $35k annually for the rest of my life.

Get some fucking perspective you moron.

>Making 60k starting full-time is barely enough to live on.
What do you DO with your money, faggot? I think you're just pissy that you were forced to confront reality after that cushy internship.

>faggot
Why the homophobia?

>Making 60k starting full-time is barely enough to live on.
Can't live without your Netflix and shitty cars, eh?

You just derailed the thread.

WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE DOOO WITH YOUR MONEYYYYYYY

BUYING MUSTANGS AT 75% INTEREST

Attached: IMG_1764.gif (500x378, 610K)

You can make fun of me all you want for being "out of touch with reality", but you have to think in the bigger picture. I know people making 35k over the Summer at their internships. I know people making 2k per week at their internships. I know people making 60$/hr at their internships. Those are somewhat legitimate salaries. When you graduate, you want to make sure you 1) are doing something that interests you, 2) you can live in a somewhat comfortable apartment, 3) pay off student loans at a quicker pace, 4) invest some of that money, and 5) explore the world or city you're living in. I just don't understand how you do that with 60k. Like, 60k after taxes converts to 40k or something like that (conservative estimate).

40k base salary
- 12k a year for rent
- 10k a year for student loans
- 6k a year on food
- 1k a year on public transportation or gas for a car
- 6k a year on entertainment
- $500 a year on clothes
- 4.5k a year for savings

And look, your money is all gone! It disappears quickly. Relatively frugal. You could bump the loan repayment up by a decent chunk, maybe double your apartment and pay 2k a month on rent, spend 1k a year on clothes instead of $500, invest 10k a year in savings instead of 5k, or maybe move up to 8k on entertainment.

Then, add in a family and you have to cut back on a lot of this stuff to invest in relationships, children, family, etc...

I should also note when I say 'bump up' I mean when you have an 80k or 90k salary.

>- 10k a year for student loans
>- 6k a year on food
>- $500 a year on clothes
>- 6k a year on entertainment

What the fuck even are these costs?

>6k a year on entertainment

Attached: IMG_1765.gif (337x287, 1.76M)

>student loans
>that entertainment fund
>that food fund
>clothes fund
>explore the world or city!!
>savings fund
OH I GET IT!
You're retarded!
You should have just said so!

What the fuck is your point here?
>after I spend all my money i have no money

Are you retarded? Yeah dude after you partition all your money for each thing you want you probably wont have any left, because you just decided to spend it or save it. Are you fucked in the head or something?

60k starting is solid in this economy

>my salary only lets me cover all of my living costs and also provides more than enough for luxuries
>i can also have savings left over
>but after i do all that I have no money!!!

straight up retarded ass nigga

Ever wanted to buy a 2k future-proof PC? Entertainment
Want to go see Hamilton? 200$ minimum entertainment
Rent a boat? Costs money
Nice vacation? Couple thousand $$$
Netflix? Hulu? Amazon Prime?
Shit adds up man.

6k a year on food = 500$ a month, which is fitting if you have a proper diet and workout regularly.

10k a year for student loans is appropriate if you want to fast-track the process.

I don't get what you don't get about that budget.

>Not having a savings fund
>Not wanting to explore the world
>Not accounting for necessary funds, such as food
>Not realizing entertainment is expensive in this day and age
>Not wanting to pay off student loans as fast as possible after graduation
I'm not stupid, I'm proactive

Dude you are a straight up DUMB person. I guess thats self explanatory when you have student loans to pay back at all.

and your entertainment is dumb. You're like a straight up dumb consumer of a person

I think I spent a total of 3k last year on food.

>Investing 4.5k a year in savings or an emergency fund is a luxury
>Oh, I can have savings left over!
If you're not investing 10k a year in savings, what the fuck are you even doing? 10k a year for 40 years (retire around 60) only amounts to 400k by retirement, before inflation and investment returns.

i dont know whats sadder, the fact you think the only luxury in your budget is the savings or that $400k isn't enough for your retirement

>wants to live like a YouTube vlogger
Ah, I think I understand now.

Attached: IMG_1766.jpg (996x561, 113K)

Try this:

40k base salary
- 6k a year for rent
- 3k a year on food
- 1k a year on public transportation or gas for a car
- 0 to 1k a year on entertainment
- rest into savings

Of course to do that you'd have to go back in time and not make stupid decisions.

Ok fine, you guys think I'm overindulging myself on an 80k/yr salary. However, many of my friends are up near 120k, 150k, 180k. Why settle for just 60k?

I'm still in college so I have time to correct my """mistakes""". Maybe I'll get bored of that lifestyle eventually.
But,
>6k on rent
Where are you living where you pay 500$ a month for rent? Are you living with somebody else or...?
>3k a year on food
That totals to 250$ per month, or 60$ per week. Lmao dude, you have to be kidding me. You better be packing your meals everyday and never eating out. Eating out will fuck up that budget. How much in groceries are you getting? 3k a year for food (this includes groceries) is not even CLOSE to enough money for breakfast, lunch, dinner, + sometimes drinks + sometimes eating out. My only assumption is you're either starving yourself OR you eat McDonald's 24/7.
>0 to 1k a year on entertainment
Netflix alone is like 200$ a year. Throw in your cell phone bill. Throw in a """"cable"""" bill so you can watch sports without searching for shitty streams. Throw in a movie here and there. You'll surpass that 1k mark.

I mean... man... these are just simple things humans need. Unless you're living in a 20k person village, no city is going to offer costs this cheap without major setbacks.

>- 12k a year for rent
>- 10k a year for student loans
>- 6k a year on food
>- 1k a year on public transportation or gas for a car
>- 6k a year on entertainment
>- $500 a year on clothes
>- 4.5k a year for savings
Wew.

12k a year for rent, fine. You could probably bring that down by not living in a shit city, but whatever.
Let's bring 10k a year for student loans down to something like 5k a year.
Again, if you don't live in a shit city you can live with 3k in food.
1k a year for transportation, fine.
6k a year on entertainment is fucking retarded. You're not going to buy a new 2k PC every fucking year. So let's say we cut that down to 3k.
Again, what are you doing that you need to pay so much money for clothes every year? Fuck, except for work clothes you could just buy some good-enough clothes at a thrift store. 200 a year, MAX.
There you go, $15,800 a year to save and invest.

Dude your expenses are extremely frivolous

you dont need netflix or a cable bill, how the fuck is a cell phone bill even a slight impact on any budget.

I'm 60k, 100k, 130k, 150k
they may as well all be the same salary to me. None of it would impact my day. It would all just rot in a fucking bank. What's the point?

$500 for rent is pretty average
>Netflix alone is like 200$ a year. Throw in your cell phone bill. Throw in a """"cable"""" bill so you can watch sports without searching for shitty streams. Throw in a movie here and there. You'll surpass that 1k mark.

yeah all those costs can pretty much disappear and not be felt at all

>these are just simple things humans need

>humans need to eat out constantly
>humans need Netflix and sports

I won't budget on the 3k/yr food (a.k.a. groceries in general). Loans are fine I guess if you don't want to pay them off as fast. Entertainment, fine, you can tone that down quite a bit.

There are certainly some improvements that can be made, but honestly it's not a terrible budget. I just find it weird that you bring the student loans from 10k to 5k and then use that as 'savings' money, while those loans are gaining interest.

>student loans

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>Computer Science General

Attached: IMG_1767.jpg (900x600, 275K)

I don't understand why you guys are so triggered. My budget isn't terrible. It's just a bit more luxurious than you would've hoped to see. Sure, there are some improvements to be made, but some areas were just guesstimates. If you're living in a half decent city, such as Pittsburgh or better, costs add up. Honestly, once the student loans are paid off within 2 years (10k a year), then I can reallocate all of that money to savings and have 15k a year savings. It was a relatively sound budget that was only like 80% worked out. I haven't even graduated yet, jesus.

you're a retarded ass spoiled brat and i hope something horrible happens to you financially that you will work your entire life to recover from.

Attached: help.png (1416x1118, 323K)

what the fuck dude...
Not all of us want to live on 35k a year

Where did you get accepted? Are you going for your Master's or PhD?

How the fuck did you think it was necessary to make this comment

I considered it quite courteous.

They're just triggered because they aren't making as much money as you lmao

He wanted to brag that he goes to the gym.

We're trying to help you, user.

Thanks for understanding.

Thanks for trying to help. I'm all the wiser now.

social skills

this

>most software engineering positions pay shit. I think the true average is around like 60k starting in Pennsylvania, which is not great. That's like almost a teacher salary. Most positions are monotonous, shitty, web dev or automation. Only the 'cool' positions are for research or people with a math degree or other highly applicable degree
literally what
There is so much wrong I don't even know where to begin. Also if a teacher makes 60k starting in Pennsylvania then that's insanely good.

Seriously, I pay $500 in rent as college student and it's a pretty fucking nice place. If you can get over your shit and live with roommates its not that bad. I also live near Denver which has pretty fucking high rent.

This isn't reddit faggot stop sucking sucks and get over it

Is CS+Math worth it than?

That guys an idiot, he has no clue what he's talking about.
But on your question, CS + math is pretty good but not necessarily ideal. You don't need math to get a good software job, CS is more then enough. It really depends on what you want to do and how your schools CS program is like though.

He didn't say teachers make 60k a year starting, but after 10 years most teachers make 60k. Look it up, all teacher (and other taxpayer funded jobs) salaries are public information

jesus how cucked are millenials that they think 60k is good?

for the amount of education and hours required (including outside work) this is an absolute dog shit amount of money. the OP is right. you can make this much as a high school gym teacher with 0 stress and summers off.

You could comfortably live on 30k. Stop pretending you're not a weak, retarded, gluttonous pig.

>0 stress and summers off

Attached: IMG_1693.jpg (647x594, 76K)

1) I do know what I'm talking about
2) There's a lot of truth in those two posts I made

CS + Math is worth it if you either love both or if your area of interest asks for heavier math. For example, there are a lot of game engine developers that have heavy math backgrounds, this is fitting. However, a web development background almost never requires math beyond simple high school math. A data scientist may need some math, but can get by with none. A machine learning engineer or PhD might require heavy math (moreso because you have to go through grad school; afterwards, you can kind of dictate how much math and how much coding you want to do with research).

You're obviously very out of touch with reality if you think most of that statement is false. You're probably insecure about your CS degree and 1) don't want to face the fact most positions are web dev or automation, 2) don't know teachers can reach up to 100k+ near retirement if they're good and the average salaries hover around 60k, thus showcasing your lack of reading comprehension, 3) don't realize how much the good technical positions pay, making 60k seem like not nearly as good as you think it is.

Sure, I'm paying 500$ a month as a student with 2 roommates currently. Does that mean I want to live with 2 roommates when I'm 25 and independent?? Like at some point you have to let go of your little roommates.

>comfortably live on 30k
Oh boy. Where the fuck do you live? Middle of bum fuck nowhere? You'd basically be living in:
1) a very small town or
2) a very tight budget
3) almost no decent social life
4) no significant savings at the end of the year
Do you guys not value having ANY sort decent life? I have a friend living on 17k from church funding (he plants churches along the east coast) and he lives a relatively frugal life. Just because you *can* live on 17k doesn't mean it's great for you and your future or that you should live on 17k.

To add onto this: 60k may be good for your average salary or job/occupation, but you can achieve MUCH better/higher salaries within computer science. Thus, comparatively, within computer science, 60k is on the lower end. Can we all agree on this?

I know that I just thought he meant teachers made 60k a year starting in Pennsylvania. Either way a CS major who starts out making what a math teacher would in 10 years is still pretty good. At the median range its bound to increase and be more than what a teacher would hope to make within the same time frame.

>You're obviously very out of touch with reality if you think most of that statement is false
Take a look in the mirror sweetie. Everything you said in the previous post and some of what you said in that post I replied to held some truth (while some being false) but the part I quoted was complete nonsense. Completely devoid of reality. First of all 60k is really good starting. That itself makes me think you have no experience ever getting a job. Secondly, a CS major can weasel themselves in many industries as the skill sets are necessary for multiple jobs. It's not just web dev or automation. Well, it could be where you live. Really depends on the area. Lastly, math degrees aren't always necessary for cs research position. Granted they can be useful but sometimes detrimental if you don't get proper CS education. It seems to me you where dumb enough to fall for Veeky Forums memes.

>Sure, I'm paying 500$ a month as a student with 2 roommates currently
>as a student
Well, that explains it, you have no clue what you're talking about. Although to be fair, like I said there was some truth in your post, you just fell for Veeky Forums memes by the end.

I guess it's all relative? I have internship offers making more than 60k a year starting. Perhaps we can just chalk it up different experiences? And yeah, I know math degrees aren't always necessary. I tried to include that sentiment in my previous post. They can be immensely useful but honestly aren't that important depending on the area of research and what kind of research you do (applications vs. theory). I didn't really fall for Veeky Forums memes, there's a lot of truth in what I said. A lot of what I said was from personal experience or experiences from friends. I'm in Pittsburgh, one of the emerging tech hubs with CMU; what do you expect? I guess there is some bias in what I'm saying but it's just another reality than what you've experienced.

I also know it's not ALL web dev or automation, that was a huge generalization on my part. But there are a large number of jobs that are web dev, devops, automation, and the likes. In pop culture, you'll typically see the facebook app, or youtube, or snapchat, and neat stuff like that, which is what attracts some people to computer science and programming, but in reality, a lot of it is not as 'attractive'. That's the point I was trying to achieve. I see a lot of people fall for that trap, thinking they'll be the next Zuckerberg. I didn't mean any harm.

I think we can probably just claim location and previous experiences played a significant role in this discussion.

Also, being a student doesn't invalidate my experiences. I've seen a lot of industry. I might not have 20 years of experience, but I'm involved enough that I know the general trends and can hold decent conversation about its reality.

Carnegie Mellon. Just Masters cause I want my phd to be somewhere else.

Currently in my first semester as a freshman in college. Since I haven't completed the prerequisites to take computer classes, I'm having to teach myself Python. The college only teaches Visual Basic, but I figured it's better if I learn at least two programming languages instead of one. Not only that, I also have a book for learning C#.

I'm not sure how long it'll take to learn one of them, but I'm hoping being able to code in three common languages would help put my foot in the door when I start looking for jobs.

I'm learning merge sort and Calculus 2 u-substitution. I want to get into a top 10 grad school for Machine Learning.

fuck off normie. you are fucking stupid with your money

$60k is pretty decent in the Atlanta Metro area. I am expecting that to be my starting salary, but I'm hoping I'll end up making at least $85k.

So much gay in this thread

evidence-based politics is a thing

You are 100% correct.

You are facing tons of backlash from people because they went into stem thinking that they are going to be able to live a decent life.

You're not. Unless you are proactive in moving up in your ranks, you will be living on the border of comfort, while you code monkey 50 hours a week.

500 for rent are you kidding me? I'm not the guy that you replied to, but in Dallas that wont even get you a roach ridden apartment in the shittiest most dangerous part of the city.

You need 800 minimum for a place that's not completely gun shots every day ghetto. Even then you will be surrounded by drug dealers and degenerates. You need 1100 minimum if you want to not live in a ghetto.

This forum is cancer. Like I said in my above post, you have people here thinking that they're going to be able to live lavishly from their STEM degree. Fact is, your not. It's gonna take you about 5 years til you have the experience to be clearing in something above 120k where you're actually going to live comfortably. So by the time you're 28-29, you can expect to live comfortably if you do things right.

If you slack off after you graduate, and aren't constantly improving, have fun with your mediocre 50-70k salary lol.

If you went the stem route thinking that you're not going to be living on the border of comfort until you're around 30 then I feel sorry for you. You're going to be in for a rude awakening.

youtube.com/watch?v=jM2LBTUEImw

All of the salaries start around 50-60k and top out at 150k (this is after the 5 years of experience that I said before) yes some earn 300k but if you are reading this you will not be in that bracket (1% of eng/cs)

If you honestly went in stem thinking you aren't going to live a mediocre life then lulz.

You're not going to be some CEO 10k a day with the lambo that girls just flock to cause of his money. You're going to be a nerd that wastes his life making other people money while they jack off all day.

Yup lmao. I triple posted but fuck it.

People are going to waste their entire youth learning about theorems and gay shit just to live the most mediocre life possible lol.

CS and engineering in a nutshell guys.

>/mg/ is making fun of us again

Attached: 44.png (680x680, 726K)

Regarding the salary question, SO has good data

It's surely not hard. And there's two sides to it, the smart contract one where you basically code with a language and a library that's much smaller than any standard library that comes with a language - and then there's the fact that there are 5000 startups in the space who all need websites. And there's money being printed, so it's extremely lucrative to get associated.

Attached: Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 21.54.51.png (735x675, 92K)

Attached: Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 21.57.39.png (720x576, 96K)

Btw. if you're into functional lanugages, I'd like to write a compiler from haskell to the NEO virtual machine. There are already reference implementations for compilers using C# and Python.
My contact somewhere here

youtu.be/cnK1E3yZGx0

Attached: Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 22.00.54.png (725x618, 90K)

The apartment price in montreal is not 800$ lmfao

It's probably per square feet, you fucking brainlet.

I'm not even sure if you're saying it's too high or too low. I'm from Austria and the Berlin price of €600 seems reasonable if you ask programmers of varying ages and take the average, although I would have guessed it to be higher. I rent a very cheap 1 person flat and that's €500. But if you're living with others (e.g. WG or partner who pays their share), you could get below that.

>CS general
>it's just fags talking about their expenses
Must be an interesting field with interesting topics

Math has intrinsic value and if you just want money leave the field and never come back

If you need $120k to live comfortably you're too retarded to live

Basic algebra

>If you slack off after you graduate, and aren't constantly improving, have fun with your mediocre 50-70k salary lol.

tfw 1 year out of college
tfw 143k salary
tfw 2.9 gpa

This is the dumbest post with so little to do with anything that it's incomprehensible

>You need 800 minimum for a place that's not completely gun shots every day ghetto. Even then you will be surrounded by drug dealers and degenerates. You need 1100 minimum if you want to not live in a ghetto.
Okay. Not everybody wants to live in your nigger-ridden city. Small towns and shit are relatively safe and comfy.

It is but moneyfags are retarded.

>10k a year for student loans is appropriate if you want to fast-track the process.
>fast-track the process

You went to a for-profit school, didn't you?

>I need 10K per month to survive

retard alert