What is the evolutionary advantage of free will?

What is the evolutionary advantage of free will?

Attached: thich-quang-duc-burning-monk.jpg (900x583, 81K)

There is no free will

What is the evolutionary advantage of cross dressing?

Attached: 1520545310928.jpg (493x740, 53K)

>What is the evolutionary advantage of free will?

Adaptation (survival) to rapidly changing environmental factors, despite the fact that they might be counter to what our instincts tell us the right decision is.

>Adaptation (survival) to rapidly changing environmental factors, despite the fact that they might be counter to what our instincts tell us the right decision is.

for example, mouse traps work because the mouse has an instinct to eat the bait.

But if the mouse could override it's instincts, it could survive.

Contrary to popular belief, "Free will" doesn't mean "Unpredictable to god".... it only means "Can overrule ones own instincts"

>what is the advantage of something that doesn’t exist?

I don’t know user. What’s the evolutionary advantage of Invisible Pink Unicorns?

War.

So you're saying i'm magically overtaking the very biological systems that determine my every thought and action via "free will." Sounds pretty metaphysical to me.

>So you're saying i'm magically overtaking the very biological systems that determine my every thought and action via "free will." Sounds pretty metaphysical to me.

You can't really define "Free will" in any realistic sense other than "Obeys instincts vs can override instincts"

Anything else is just theoretical masturbation on par with "Can god make a rock so heavy he can't lift it"

>what is the evolutionary advantage of turning water into wine

the question is meaningless because the concept you are talking about does not exist in reality.

Attached: 1520876412220.png (645x729, 50K)

>You can't really define "Free will" in any realistic sense other than "Obeys instincts vs can override instincts"
He didn´t ask you to state the obvious.
Overruling one´s own instincts is as impossible a task as they come.

>Overruling one´s own instincts is as impossible a task as they come.

What instinct makes you type on your keyboard?

retard

I can turn water into wine easily.

1. Start with water
2. Add grapes.
3. Seal
4. Wait

Result? Wine. It's all in how you define it.

> Overruling one's instincts is impossible
Tell that to the hundreds of thousands of soldiers that charged the beach at Normandy against mines and machine gun fire

dunno. how do you define free will?

>muh quantum randumbness
>muh semantics
which one is it?

What usualy is called free will is memes/ideas/learned behaviours/culture overriding genetic instincts.

So free will exists, but it is not as 'free' as most people would assume it is. It is the sum of memes existing in the brain.
This does not make us 'free', but it enables us to override genetic instincts to a certain degree. As you may realize, ones ability to override its genetic instincs is the prime measurement of a developed human. In other words, the more controll your memes have over your genes, the higher developed you are perceived to be. (Die for you country, have self control, etc).

The ability to contain and to pass on memes is what separates us from animals, and is what enabled culture and scientific progress. Actually scientific progress is the evolution of memes.
These memes co-exist in a symbiotic relationship with our bodies/genes. As humans helped memes to spread and grow, memes helped our genes to conquer this planet.

Thats the evolutionary advantage of "free" will.

Allows to get more profit.

Overriding instincts is destructive though. Instincts make the foundation of person and overriding them means to betray yourself. It's as good as shooting yourself.

They did what they were ordered to do. Army is ruled by herd instinct.

the perception of free will reduces existential panic and creates the perception of self
egotism drives survival for intelligent beings

>What is the evolutionary advantage of
Please stop making threads like this

It happens regularly. Instincts only set priorities, but tell nothing how to achieve them, it's the intelligence's job, and it can fail at it just fine.

>"Can god make a rock so heavy he can't lift it"
And it is still a good question.

I never got why everyone thinks that's a paradox. Of course he could, and if he did he would no longer be omnipotent.

The tripfag has it right. Free will is just a side effect of having the higher level of ability to think, reflection. We do perceive free will when we override our instincts through thoughts, buy in the end all actions must originate somewhere outside. This perceived ability to think and make decisions is as free will as it ever can get.

>muh soul
your thoughts are predetermined, you are not the voice in your head but that which observes it
if we had free will we would exist outside of our bodies in "third-person" like a game of sims, you wouldnt be effected by stimuli beyond your own pure desire, no fear of judgement as there would be no interaction between controllers of "Sim" only interaction between two sims creating a stronger illusion of solopsism

It gives the illusion of control.