Fucking hell my dudes, CS batchelors is difficult

i want to major in computer science, but the math it requires is so difficult

The following courses are R_E_Q_U_I_R_E_D for admission to this major
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MATH 31A Differential and Integral (4)|MATH 7 Calculus 1 (5)
Calculus |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MATH 31B Integration and Infinite (4)|MATH 8 Calculus 2 (5)
Series |
MATH 32A Calculus of Several (4)|MATH 11 Multivariable Calculus (5)
Variables |
MATH 32B Calculus of Several (4)|MATH 11 Multivariable Calculus (5)
Variables |
MATH 33A Linear Algebra and (4)|MATH 13 Linear Algebra (3)
Applications |
MATH 33B Differential Equations (4)|MATH 15 Differential Equations (3)

Is it even possible to learn this in 2 years, with only knowing pre-calc?
it wants this shit from me with a gpa of 3.7+ IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR A TRANSFER FROM COMMUNITY COLLEGE

FUCK DUDE

Attached: unitcircle.jpg (399x381, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.cs.ucla.edu/~sherstov/teaching/2015-spring/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_automaton#Pumping_Lemma
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You can do it just stay focused and on track. It took me extra long to learn the calculus bcause I messed around too much. I believe in you.

thanks for motivation

Not that hard, focus on faster paced short math classes if u can to leave some semesters free for harder maths which would be calc 2, Lin alg, and diff eqs. Scheduling with other classes is the only hard part if you study

Lmao I got a D in calc 1 and they still let me graduate

I need a masters to get a real job

talk to your advisor

i hear ya dude. Fuck it though man, just do it and try to have some fun with it.

Attached: Mufasa-vs-Scar-the-lion-king-2801551-640-380.jpg (1920x1080, 193K)

While you're at it take some basic proof based classes. Discrete is good for your field too.

discrete, huh

alright
but how will proofs help me?

i remember acing my proofs exams in geometry back in highschool

Proofs are about logical arguements, A implies B shit. Its kind of like how computers think. Also that 2 line shit you learn in geometry is stupid and erase that from your head asap.

UCLA? say hi to ostrovsky for me
btw i learned all of that in one year at that school, git gud. took 31A F, 31B & 32A W, 32B S, and 33A/33B equivalents at UCSD over the summer
>tfw graduated two years ago
college was forever ago

>dr. ostrovsky
>this guy on the internet, his name is anonymous
>oh, you heard of him?
>yeah, well he said hi.

>he gets the joke

yr1
Semester 1:
>calc 1
>linear algebra
Semester 2:
>calc 2
>discrete
>semester 3

yr2
s1
>calc 3
s2
>calc 4

Thats was the path when I studied that shit for cs.

None of these are actually supremely difficult, just takes time. I actually took DiffEq in high school via community college, it's probably the easiest one. Same with LinAlg. In the quarter system it's perfectly reasonable to get that done in two years - one per quarter - so that's why UCLA expects it.

Assuming that's UCLA you're trying to transfer into, some of the toughest math is actually in the major itself. CS 181 with Sherstov is one of the best classes I ever took but real brainfuck.

>Assuming that's UCLA you're trying to transfer into, some of the toughest math is actually in the major itself. CS 181 with Sherstov is one of the best classes I ever took but real brainfuck.
yes it's ucla from SMC
>web.cs.ucla.edu/~sherstov/teaching/2015-spring/

boy oh boy i am supremely fucked

this is all baby tier math senpai

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_automaton#Pumping_Lemma

WHAT THE FUCK IM GOING TO DIE

if that is your attitude, then yes
if you see this and think, "i will soon rule this" then you will be fine

thank you for motivation

did you need to spend every single hour of your day studying to master this math?

Are you shitting me? Theory of computation is the best fucking part of CS, real food for thought. Fuck learning some bullshit trendy language that will be obsolete in a year - FSMs an shit are forever.

If you want to be a "coder", Pajeet already has that covered. Real computer science need have nothing to do with physically instantiated computers, "software engineering" (gag), or any such philistines. If that's too much to grasp, an MBA may be more your speed.

Hijacking your thread real quick OP.

>Be me
>Will be chemistry student going into fall semester
>Know I want to switch to eng
Someone that actually knows what they are talking about: Chem eng or software eng/CS?

so then why do software engineers make so much more money?

>Is it even possible to learn this in 2 years, with only knowing pre-calc?
>it wants this shit from me with a gpa of 3.7+ IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR A TRANSFER FROM COMMUNITY COLLEGE

Of course.

>First Semester
ENG 101 College Composition I (3 credits)
MTH 121 Calculus I (4 credits)
CHM 101 General Chemistry I (4 credits)
CHM 103 General Chemistry Lab (1 credits)
ECO 101 Principles of Micro-Economics (3 credits)

>Second Semester
ENG 102 College Composition II (3 credits)
MTH 122 Calculus II (4 credits)
CHM 102 General Chemistry II (4 credits)
ECO 102 Principles of Macro-Economics (3 credits)
Humanistic art or music requirement (one 3-credit course)

>Third Semester
MTH 221 Multivarible Calculus III (4 credits)
PHY 201 General Physics I (4 credits)
Historical requirement (3 credits)
Humanistic literature requirement (one 3-credit course)
Society & Human Behavior requirement (one 3-credit course)

>Fourth Semester
MTH 222 Differential Equations (4 credits)
MTH 223 Introduction to Linear Algebra (3 credits)
PHY 202 General Physics II (4 credits)
Major elective (one 3- or 4-credit course)
Major elective (one 3- or 4-credit course)

holy shit my dude
this is very helpful

Attached: 1520465398485.jpg (232x293, 11K)

math is fun (though I dropped out of uni for being a dumbass), don't let the weird names and symbols scare you

>software engineers make so much more money
For how long? Google burnout happens < age 30, for instance. Parlaying theoretical knowledge into something like tenure track, even at a shit school, free to fuck around publishing shit that tickles your interest, sounds much more comfy.

maybe this major isn't for me...
i could major in music and get a 4.0 then get a masters in biology, then 7 years med school

my parents want me to go to medschool

google burnout, uh...
my kiddie dream was a tech startup like silicone valley
unrealistic

now my dream is computational neuroscience
and i think the neuroscience part comes as a masters degree

Attached: DUCKS .jpg (400x296, 28K)

>computational neuroscience
I'm completing a CS degree with a minor in biology (and another major in philosophy, don't ask) and I find that an interesting area after studying neurobiology, and all the bio classes I've done would be of use.

I TA for a languages and models of computations class that teaches this. I just graded the midterm last week and I'm fucking baffled at how people don't get this simple shit.
Maybe they should stop letting in brainlets into the major

2 years means you're going to have to double up on math courses for two semesters. That is going to suck, assuming your college has any rigor whatsoever.

I recommend doing this:

SEMESTER 1:
Calculus 1
SEMESTER 2:
Calculus 2
SEMESTER 3:
Multivariate Calculus 1
+Linear Algebra
SEMESTER 4:
Multivariate Calculus 2
+Differential Equations

You literally don't need anything more than pre-calc to proceed through this, and it shouldn't suck too bad until you get to the fourth semester.

Sadly, CS is often a magnet for brainlets that care more for garbage like "muh appzz" than actual intellectual work.

well. shit.
i hear calc 2 is harder than multivariable calc(aka calc 3?)

>philosophy
is this to boost your grade to get to med school?

>thinks the pumping lemma is hard

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

PHI is indeed a useful grade booster, but it was interesting for things like a semester of formal logic. Medicine? Didn't really do the physics or organic chemistry for that, and it's a little too "touchey feeley", bureaucratic, paperworky for my goals. I would like to be an academic or such.

Calc 2 is rough because of convergence iirc. But yeah after calc 2, calc 3 and diff eq are cake walk. Linear might be a pain, depends on how your teacher wants to go.

>depends on how your teacher wants to go.

Attached: panic.gif (500x532, 904K)

It helps when the linear professor allows a calculator to do matrix row reductions, as they were invented for that kind of drudgery. I had amused horror when told of another Linear I section that allowed no calculators on exams.

>convergence is hard
wait till you start doing proofs that involves defining real numbers as the a cauchy sequence of rational numbers

>linear might be a pain
linear is easy as fuck as long as your professor is not retarded and properly explains to you the concepts involved

It's fucking nothing.
T.niggnog

First day of linear my teacher introduced vector spaces and went theory to the end, we go to matroids.

>We got to matroids.

>linear is easy as fuck
I wish I had your class then, or this guys class
I had the same guy for my under graduate and graduate linear class

I'm assuming UCLA based on the course numbering and other commenters? Good luck my dude. I got raped so hard in CS 111. Literally spent 30-40 hours on some projects. It's going to be a lot more work than any of the math courses offered.

oh no

Attached: irate.png (296x389, 39K)

if you professor is good, he'll relate matricies with metric spaces, coordinate/space descriptors and transformations.
If he's really good, he'll give you that ellipsoid explanation for eigenvalues and eigenvectors.
The guy I had did all that and we even got to code some facial recognition and exoplanet recognition programs

you may feel smart but I actually did that all in one quarter, that's right I took all those classes at once and maintained my perfect 4.0

This isn't even a good bait thread. No Comp Sci wanna be low level mathlet would even make a thread here. Fuck off.

You have to take the same easy math courses as everyone else, you will be fine.

Ez bz life
Calc and lin. alg. are just extensions of stuff you should already know. So just do the homework. Diff. Eq. Is a bit harder intuitivelly, still only extensions of calc and lin. alg.

>MATH 32A Calculus of Several (4)|MATH 11 Multivariable Calculus (5)
>several
>Not taking calculus of a shit ton of variables

Replying to your own bait

Attached: 1493807553759.jpg (250x238, 8K)