Alright Veeky Forums, what happened?

Alright Veeky Forums, what happened?

Attached: 105068464-miami2.600x400.jpg (600x400, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/FIU/status/972529770683564033
youtube.com/watch?v=ZxD3o-9H1lY
youtube.com/watch?v=Sr1oyK5lvqQ
youtube.com/watch?v=4AtOU0dDXv8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebar
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinforced_concrete
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Americans tried to cross it

It went plop.

Probably something to do with imperial measurements.

RUSSIA

Affirmative action

They were supposed to get some nice, competent asian ubermen to build it, until HR forced them to make some hiring changes.

Seriously this.

Why are all the people in the image fat?

twitter.com/FIU/status/972529770683564033
lol

Civil engineering

So....I'm looking at this thing as it is being installed and I'm thinking to myself, "there's actually nothing properly supporting it". I don't think the people hired to design or oversee it were part of a meritocracy form of hiring.

>$14.2 million
>concrete and rebar

There's been 1000s of concrete-rear bridges and overpasses collapse all over the work. you'd think people would learn that cheap does not equal best.

Evidently it was still under construction:

> One of the companies that constructed the bridge, Munilla Construction Management, said in a statement that it will conduct a "full investigation to determine exactly what went wrong" and that it will cooperate with investigators on the scene "in every way."

>"The new UniversityCity Bridge, which was under construction, experienced a catastrophic collapse causing injuries and loss of life," the company said.

Attached: Bridge for Fools.webm (1280x720, 2.89M)

Two possibilities:
1) (less probable) the project was flawed, whoever designed it is going to face trial
2) (more probable) the project was sound but there were mistakes in its realization

i agree, the odds of the engineers designing it wrong are much higher than some mexican laborer pouring “reasonable” amounts of concrete rather than exactly how it needs to be.

it's called usa

>Rosenberg

Terrorist detected.

No live footage, but it looks like a "karate chop" kinda failure so the bridge was too heavy to support itself.
I'm thinking that they used pre-stressed concrete and it stays flat at rest by design as opposed to slightly bucking upwards and as soon as any kinda force is applied it deflected downwards.

Holy fuck I've gone to this school

jet fuel for sure

A witness said it started to collapse on the "left" then in the middle.

>bridge weights 950 tons
>dropped several meters
How come it's not doing the same damage as a kiloton bomb?

probably not stressed at all then, just a shitty linkage component.

>What happened?
Shitty Infrastructure... IT KILLS!!!

>stress testing a bridge with the roadway underneath open

Attached: 1515684065487.jpg (800x769, 156K)

kek

>stress test a bridge that doesn't even have its support cables attached yet

Attached: OAZ1EmM.jpg (1140x640, 107K)

bridge fall down

Kek

slow accelerations allow for safe energy dispersion. If the power is low, the damage is low. Filling a dam with billions of liters of water adds megatons of tnt equivalent to the potential energy of the structure, but does not rip it apart like a megaton bomb would.

Bridge made out of magnets, attracted by first set of cars passing through, breaks.

This is the only possibility.

lateral torsional buckling of bridge deck due to fiddling with post-tension cables improperly, or something more benign like shear yielding

That's not what pre-stressed concrete does.

Attached: florida-bridge-collapse-03-gty-jc-180315_hpMain_4x3_992.jpg (992x744, 171K)

You simply can't make up shit like this. No one would ever believe you with such proof.

Attached: enhanced-22822-1423689329-1.jpg (625x495, 83K)

It was obviously nanothermite.

Clearly the engies didn't do their sig figs right.

>I don't think the people hired to design or oversee it were part of a meritocracy form of hiring.
this. a bunch of rich whites put their friends and sons on the job

>Miami
probably a bunch of rich cubanos

Was it really supposed to have support cables? By the looks of things they didn't have much in the way of temporary supports under the of the span which you would expect if a large part of the load bearing structure wasn't in place yet..

yes

some GC is shitting their pants right now

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I bet it was white people who ruined it.

>decide to build a suspension bridge
>build the deck before the tower

Attached: but steel is heavier than feathers.jpg (798x1210, 118K)

the engineering firm is owned by 5 Cuban family members

Which 3rd world Europoor country did this happen in?

Infrastructure under Drumph

It wasn't in Europe it did happen in the 3rd world country known as Florida, located in North America.

>sig figs in civil engineering

It's a joke about how every professor in my 1st year classes said if we didn't know our sig figs, bridges would collapse and stuff. I know a lot of people prolly heard their professors say the same.

Apparently lawyers are already preparing lawsuits, claiming that the builders used concrete that they knew was stressed before it was even installed. A secretary from one of the firms leaked a memo to the press in which engineers refer to the materials as “pre-stressed.” Pretty damning.

Attached: 1521155199952.jpg (1200x675, 121K)

The failure stresses were reached.

the span was maxxed out without support. concrete failed. like using a 2x4 at its ax span but the 2x4 has a flaw so the max span is less than engineering spec.IMO the site engineer fugged up

Pre-stressed concrete is great for bridges. Lighter weight, withstands the same amount if not more. It's essentially the next innovation after reinforcing.

Asians are incompetent engineers.

Welcome to America

Look at the fucking "before" picture: It has no support in the middle. It just fucking snapped, in two places. What an absolute critical failure, 0/100, complete failure, never try again, go directly to prison.

Holy shit imagine that was your family member, or friend, or you. Un-fucking-believable.

Stupidity and incompetence are moral sins.

not enough momentum

>rich whites
>in a Jewish community
>working for a company owned by 7 Cuban brothers
I thought Veeky Forums was supposed to have intelligent posters

>what happened?

They didn't support the bridge at all in the first place. You have to attach these areas to the cables that go to a big tower, which was not done, and they never supported it underneath before that could be done.

Attached: 1521144435398.jpg (600x400, 110K)

thank you. my profs got pissed over too many sig figs

bruh are you for real

Someone redpill me on "pre-stressed" concrete. Is it another kike trick?

no, damn near every typical highway bridge built these days is a prestressed concrete bridge

reminds me of something one of my engineering prof's used to say "There's more money when something falls down than putting it up."
He was an engineering expert witness and made quite a bit of money whenever something fell down.
Just wait until someone does a proper failure analysis. You think the goddamn armchairs here are gonna find anything worthwhile without CAD files, engineering data, and bits of bridge still wet with blood? Shit I haven't seen a goddamn calculation in this entire thread. I've read conspiracy theories with more calculations than this thread.

Also I must note it is quite strange that the organization investigating the bridge collapse is the National TRANSPORTATION Safety Board. It's a goddamn footbridge, does this mean the NTSB considers fucking walking transportation? Fuck if they ever get the chance to regulate shoes, no one will ever trip again. The NTSB is gonna fucking ream whoever was behind this.

>Alright Veeky Forums, what happened?
CivilE fags btfo

this of course
blame putin, it's always him

There's nothing odd about the NTSB investigating it. It was a bridge over a busy road. That counts as transportation infrastructure and is thus the domain of the NTSB. It fell and crushed cars, which are another thing that falls under the domain of the NTSB. I'm not sure who you think should be investigating this if not the NTSB.

>cubans
why am I not surprised? have you not seen the kind of people cuban-americans are?
why do US people still trust these fucks?

Doing PhD in structural engineering

You have to wonder what the purpose of the central tower/cables was if the main span of it was supposed to be installed separately. Either the span was designed to support itself, in which case maybe the cable stayed design was mainly aesthetic? Or the cables were a part of the design and someone figured it could be installed as a separate span and then the cables installed later? It doesn’t really add up.

For a concrete pedestrian bridge like that, the weight of the bridge itself is probably close to 90% of the vertical load it’s designed to sustain once you include people etc.

My guess is it was supposed to be temporarily supported in the middle of the span until the cables were attached, and there was a sudden shear failure at one of the truss joints. So probably the fault of the builders.

Mafia/RNC sold them shit quality concrete.

considering how utterly obliterated the bridge is with not visible steel structure, it could only have been designed to include additional support. there was first person video of someone driving under it a couple days ago and it looked seriously scary stretched across all the lanes.

Attached: fiu_bridge_collapse_courtesy_mdfr-1521157316-5089.jpg (800x600, 93K)

Attached: 1514991162949.png (561x590, 461K)

>A suspension bridge
>Being stress tested before it has its cables installed
>And nothing supporting it
Surely the Mexican overseeing the construction saw where this would lead to.

Attached: 1518813546614.png (1200x1200, 1.22M)

>Shit I haven't seen a goddamn calculation in this entire thread.

see:

o fugg

Attached: 1334665077002.png (942x792, 169K)

Bro the bridge was being stressed without having any of its supports installed, it doesn't take a lot of math to see what went wrong.

>the video filmed right after the collapse where you can see blood pouring out of the cars onto the road

Nope! Hope someone goes to jail for this but knowing CorpMerica its unlikely

Link fagget

nice ghetto country you retarded fat mongrels lol

>He says as Denmark builds an island with factory waste

>he says as america feeds it's population with factory waste

>he says as I feed his mom with cum

Well, there are a lot of things that all need to go wrong for this type of thing to happen. Think about everyone that worked on the project. Not to mention the checkers involved, and the fact that it might not have been constructed up to the plan specifications.

Not necessarily, It's not not 'dropped' exactly. There is a shit ton of steel in bridges that will yield and deform to take a whole heck of a lot of energy out of the system. Not to mention that it is supported and the cracking concrete will also release energy before hitting the ground.

Good catch and MS paint skills. You figured it out. I'm sure they just forgot to install them.

Just about every bridge you see concrete on is pre-stressed/precast/post-tensioned. It's a very efficient way to build something that spans long distances. Just about every parking structure is too, it's just not as common in buildings. They might have it in their slabs or piles only.
See What is there to calculate? The design company would have all their calculates that will be looked over.

Time to go back to school.

There would be no live loads on the bridge, only dead weight. The accelerated construction allowed them to not block the street while installing the supports.

Yea, they just forgot to put them. It's not like the concrete in the supports would need a while to harden. It was obviously designed to withstand self-weight.

That's Florida Cuban-Amerimutt Civil Engineering at it's finest

Attached: Florida Goblina.jpg (1740x2460, 1.47M)

wow. now that is a real amerimutt face.

>It was obviously designed to withstand self-weight.

Obviously it was not. It was "intended" to do so, but was simply not done to such a design.

Attached: bridge.jpg (403x583, 191K)

Looks like pure fat Cuban to me. Probably 3rd gen.

>armchairs
well no shit buddy, we're just spit balling here

That Goblina (Emma Gonzales) led SJW to force strict anti-gun laws in Florida

A CNN puppet (crisis actress)

youtube.com/watch?v=ZxD3o-9H1lY
youtube.com/watch?v=Sr1oyK5lvqQ
youtube.com/watch?v=4AtOU0dDXv8

Attached: Ogra de las Americas.jpg (984x554, 55K)

Designed - The company made structural calculations and submitted them to a governing body to check over. Also most likely checked by an independent company.

So obviously it was designed to do so.

Or are you saying that the contractor made such a mistake that the plans had written on them to have the supports and not allow it to stand freely? You would be wrong again because the design firm needs to check the steps in the process and make sure the contractor was doing their job. They would have seen that they fucked up and closed the road.

>average american in 20 years

>bridge is with not visible steel structure,
Concrete without Steel rebars!? wtf!

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebar
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinforced_concrete

Attached: Rebar.jpg (287x281, 30K)

It was not designed to be used in the manner in which they used it.

What was the manner in which they used it?

It was used as ... a bridge. right?

>"so like this chef dude designed and made this cake and everyone says it is awesome. so i'm going to bake it"
>"did i mention i'm vegan?"
>*swaps out the cows milk for soymilk*
>"I'm also anti-grain."
>*swaps out wheat flour for potato flour*
>"I've ascended past sugar"
>*swaps out the sugar for aspartame*
>"Hmmm....says here to pour the patter into 3 separate short pans for baking..."
>*pours batter into one tall pan equal to all the other pans combined*
>"Great, now bake at 350F for 25mins or until brown. I just don't have that kind of time."
>*bakes cake on 500F for 5 mins*
>"WALLA!!"

Attached: This Just In.jpg (487x489, 240K)

some fat fucker bald american giant donut asshole came on the TV feed at the mic speaking
" we have a NATIONAL tragedy"

he actually said twice just sentence or two apart - I AM SO SICK OF EVERY LITTLE FUCKING THING MEANING THE WHOLE GOD DAMNED NATION....

Yeah it wouldn't be yer jerkass miami shithole, it's the whole nations fault, and by golly the NATION is mourning....at it's failure...

god I fucking hate that shit

They put part of a bridge into the function of a fully working bridge.

There's no other news in the world right now or something.

Yea, It was Designed that way.

You don't need to close down a street for a month, and can do all the finishing during the night.