Why did biological life emerge from the universe

i understand that ultimately the answer is "we don't know"

but think about it

like wtf dude

Attached: mindmelt_8jan92.jpg (525x740, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lQrCsPrh11M
youtube.com/watch?v=mRzxTzKIsp8
youtube.com/watch?v=K1xnYFCZ9Yg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

once you get self-replicating molecules by chance (a whole universe worth of stuff, thats a lot of atoms banging into each other) its inevitable.

It's bound to happen by chance eventually

if that was the case many other "things" would occur eventually

we don't see it

Do things only exist when you see them? This is just one corner of the universe, dumbo, you're not omnipresent.

the universe has a set of laws that govern it

shit doesn't just happen

Maybe life is just a function of heat, free energy, entropy, temperature, pH, concentrations, molar quantities, volumes, pressures

you heat water at 100C it boils
you big bang a universe you get a little bit of life

At some point a lightning did/will directly strike someone's asshole while they're taking a dump. Shit happens. Just not very often.

Billions of years, dumbo. Galaxies worth of matter. Basis of life is micro scale.

... but if it didn't occur you wouldn't be asking the question.

As oppose to what other kind of life forms?

Bio means life and Biology is the study of life or living things. Whatever we were made out of we would’ve asked the same question. I know you said you don’t want an I don’t know, but, I don’t know.

Also probably this

this. i imagine that replicating patterns at quantum scale leads to life at macro scale. kind of like lattice at micro scale leads to crystal geometries at macro scale.

are there any groups doing research on ops subject?

>are there any groups doing research on ops subject?
yes

such as?

youtube.com/watch?v=lQrCsPrh11M

but in some parts of the universe the laws are bended / don't apply (black holes).
this raises the question did these laws applyed right after the big bang or some attoseconds later? do the laws of physic change over time?

do you think the universe entered some kind of phase that allowed the emergence of life or was it just contained to this planet?

>but in some parts of the universe the laws are bended / don't apply (black holes).
You have a fucked up idea of what the laws of physics are if you believe this. The fact that our understanding of physics breaks down in some situations (like singularities) is evidence that our understanding is flawed, not that the laws are being broken.

Life probably wasn't possible before the first generation of stars populated the universe with heavy elements, but after that there shouldn't have been any major blockers other than chance.
A solar system with rocky planets forms after the death of the first stars, one of the planets is able to support liquid water, organic molecules combine and break apart for a while, then by chance a self replicating molecule emerges, gains a lipid bilayer to protect itself, and it's off to the races from there.
There's zero reason to believe that our planet is the only place where this *could have* happened, but it's also the only place where we know it did.

don't really know anything about cosmology, my background is biochem, but I'm gonna guess the universe has diverse environments, each determined by early events of the universe. Earth apparently at one point developed conditions for the simplest form of life to emerge, and it continued to evolve and adapt.

I don't know if Earth's conditions were relatively commonplace, but I think so long as you have the basic components necessary, life can emerge. Like, if every planet were a beaker swirling with different components, at various temperatures, under different circumstances, those that most resemble Condition A will get one product, life, conditions B-Z might not be conducive to life developing. As time goes on, each beaker might go through changes, but if they ever arrive at Condition A it can happen. But, I have no idea if that can just spontaneously happen. I am inclined to say it can, and that life does probably exist elsewhere, but I don't think I could say for sure unless I knew more about the universe.

I'm not sure "why" is a question for science.

Attached: gods.jpg (350x432, 51K)

www.google.com

That depends on the why

Like, "Why are my arteries clogged" can be answered by science

Because it's a consequence of its causes.

Fair enough. OP's question, since he indicated it may not be answerable, seemed to me to be looking at the "What was the purpose?" sort of why.

Though even in the example you give, I'd argue that the question would more correctly be "How did my arteries get clogged?"

>quantum scale

Why even invoke quantum realm? Its simple, basic bitch chemistry. RNA world.

>but in some parts of the universe the laws are bended / don't apply (black holes).
>right after the big bang

They don't apply like gravity "doesn't apply" to an astronaut in micro gravity. They were largely irrelevant because they are describing the function of the current circumstances (after the universe expanded). Shit was a bit different when it was the size of a golf ball and more long ranged forces couldn't come into play . However there is no reason to assume the inherent nature of the universe was any different at the earlier stages. Just because you depressurize a tank of gas doesn't mean universal constants changed inside of it, now does it?

Do you even know how laws work? They usually go like "if x then y", "when x and y then z". So if you don't have x then the law does not apply. It doesn't mean it isn't still there, waiting to become relevant. It only describes what is. Its a human shorthand for a fragment of the entirety of the way the world works.

>this raises the question

No it doesn't. And it has nothing to do with life, which relies on stable conditions to not to fall apart, not physics changing.

Here, this should help you understand what I said in the first place:

youtube.com/watch?v=mRzxTzKIsp8

Attached: eternal darkness.png (908x539, 246K)

you see though everything has a purpose, even if on the surface it seems not to have one.

zoom out and you will see that everything really does have a purpose

Also this:

youtube.com/watch?v=K1xnYFCZ9Yg

you're right and i'm retarded for asking
your post makes sense, thanks.

What makes the emergence of life any different than the emergence of anything else in the universe? such as planets, stars, galaxies etc

>biologically life
what is life? the teamwork of atoms!
the real question is why did atoms teamed up with each other? i would say it was pure luck.

Life is literally just an "attempt" by the universe to lower local entropy. Life is just the natural conclusion to a universe with entropy.

Why do you put such a significant importance on life and its emergence? Yes, it involves very complex interrelating systems but it's not as if it is anything especially different from nonliving material entities.

doesn't life increase entropy though?

Life lowers entropy locally, but increases it nonlocally.

It increases entropy around it while decreasing it within itself.

Yeah I was being glib for a laugh
But, I also don't really see purpose that way. I mean, is the a purpose that water boils at 100C? Or is that just because thermal energy causes individual molecules of H2O to move around eventually escape one another and it causes a phase transition

or I guess I could say that life is a consequence of the universe, to ask what purpose it has is meaningless because the universe isn't intelligent and hasn't assigned everything it does a purpose

Name one inorganic compound as complex as a protein or even a carbohydrate.

you can't see the difference between organic life and inorganic matter?

obviously you can

yeah, all spontaneous reactions cause an increase in entropy of the universe. But you can decrease the entropy of a system if it's joined by an increase of entropy of surroundings and net increase of the universe

see

O rly? Is a typical virus alive or dead then? And if its dead then is a giant virus dead as well?

Well, can you tell the difference and draw the line?

I'll clarify, biological life emerged as a response to entropy.
Complex organic compounds are a direct answer to entropic processes. Same way that crystallization can happen under heavy pressure or heat.

y tho

The universe will go through all possible states given enough time