Is this man a fraud or a savior?

Is this man a fraud or a savior?

Attached: Aubrey de Grey.jpg (656x1078, 197K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/DDpUqJh
discord.gg/ftSbffu
m.youtube.com/watch?v=01hbkh4hXEk
m.youtube.com/watch?v=dyJjGxZs4l8
2045.com
dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4747174/amp/Transhumanism-lead-immortality-elite.html
dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3096393/The-rich-God-like-cyborgs-Historian-claims-wealthy-transform-new-type-human-200-years.html
newscientist.com/article/dn22028-computer-that-could-outlive-the-universe-a-step-closer/amp/
artselectronic.wordpress.com/2017/03/10/from-paper-to-the-lab-a-space-time-crystal-computer-that-can-outlive-the-universe/amp/?source=images
sens.org/about/organizational-reports
youtube.com/watch?v=oMTBbVn-bnA&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If he lives forever, he was right. If he dies, he's wrong.
(If he dies in an accident, undecided.)

Neither

he's just a dude who wants people to stop living as though we can't change things
and also get immortality if he can

Noble mission, but he hasn't done shit.

>everyone who dies attempting to solve aging is a fraud

nothing noble about it, he's just scared of dying

A lot of people are also scared of dying.

Nothing wrong with being scared of dying. God made us this way.

>wanting old people to stop suffering by increasing human healthspan
>nothing noble about it

Doesn't make it noble.

God also wants us to accept and confront the fact of our mortality -- trying to run from it doesn't do any good.

God is a hypocrite then.

I'm convinced that any atheist who 'is fine with aging and death' has some form of Stockholm Syndrome. Here are some relevant links for those interested in not dying:
discord.gg/DDpUqJh
discord.gg/ftSbffu

Attached: 2b9d0cf8-edac-11e6-930f-061b01e23655.jpg (2048x1152, 596K)

What has SENS actually done other than make speeches and beg for donations?

Nah, only weak beta cucks want that.
God blesses who go to the limit of human capacities.

Well, he's certainly smarter than

bump

Yeah I'm all for the anti-aging movement but I feel like SENS is going nowhere, probably because of the low budget. They received huge donations from some millionaires a few months ago though, hopefully it will help make things faster.

There's also Calico, but we don't know anything about what they're doing.

>There's also Calico, but we don't know anything about what they're doing.
>google
oh boy, can't wait to have my genome sold

I feel that if they were worth investing in, some billionaire would have given them the funding by now. I don't buy De Grey's spiel that most people romanticize death.

billionaires need to:
1) be young
2) give a shit
3) believe in their prognosis
4) be aware of them

4 is a pretty big hurdle, these sort of ventures are probably dismissed in under 60 seconds, especially since billionaires are probably very busy

op is a faggot

He's really not gonna like it when he dies.

wow that wasn't axiom thing to sae

kek

Mind Uploading is the only way to achieve true immortality. You need to be wealthy to buy it.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=01hbkh4hXEk

m.youtube.com/watch?v=dyJjGxZs4l8

2045.com

dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4747174/amp/Transhumanism-lead-immortality-elite.html

dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3096393/The-rich-God-like-cyborgs-Historian-claims-wealthy-transform-new-type-human-200-years.html

Attached: 1_PkkvSYQNBL9D2PfcZWL8_A.jpg (1200x900, 130K)

>Mind Uploading is the only way to achieve true immortality.
no, that's fucking retarded
1) any technology which "uploads" your "mind" would be about as technologically advanced as just 3d printing a replica of your brain using some sort of insane microfluidics printer
2) you don't become immortal, you become copied
3) if a quasar jet or drunk guy with a lead pipe hits your server you're just as dead as you would be if you had a megabiotech overman body

wait you're shitposting aren't you

it is the only way to achieve true immortality for a copy of yours*

Attached: watrmelonhead.png (154x136, 52K)

How do you transfer conciousness?

Well I don't care if god wants it or not. I'm still supporting this man and anyone who wants to stop aging.

Information/data could theoretically survive the heat death of the universe.

newscientist.com/article/dn22028-computer-that-could-outlive-the-universe-a-step-closer/amp/

artselectronic.wordpress.com/2017/03/10/from-paper-to-the-lab-a-space-time-crystal-computer-that-can-outlive-the-universe/amp/?source=images

Attached: crystalcomputer (1).jpg (560x482, 46K)

Everything humans can do, will do.

Owwww the edge

Can someone give a brainletanon a rundown on what a time crystal is? Ive read papers and still don't really understand it. Its ground state is a state of motion?

how the fuck do you expect to care for that many old people? Humans are not meant to live as long as they already do. Immortality would be a disaster, and thats only considering the halting of natural aging processes, not death by any other means

why can't these old people care for themselves?

I'm assuming those people would work if the ideal life extension wasn't to keep you as an 80 year old for an extra 40 years.

The aim isn't to halt aging, it's to REVERSE it which is actually far easier.

My understanding of aging is that you actually lose unique genetic information. I am by all definitions a layman, but if this is true doesn't "rejuvenation" become impossible since that information is gone forever?

Are you talking about the telomeres? Those are known sequences, and are just cannonfodder.

The way it was explained to me, they are indeed cannonfodder but can eventually be exhausted after enough cell replications. Once they're gone you begin losing valuable information.

you can just restore the telomeres before they're worn down, certain organisms even do it naturally
I think you start getting ill very quickly when they're gone since genes are generally pretty important, so most people that aren't old as fuck should still have them. Not sure though.

immortality bump

>how the fuck do you expect to care for that many old people?

Not sure if you're being retarded on purpose, but being old biologically is the same thing as suffering from the feebleness of old age. If they're still feeble, then they haven't had their biological age reversed. So you're talking about a scenario you pulled out of thin air. Why would healthy young adults need others to take care of them?

Attached: 1520888835332.jpg (1129x1200, 118K)

This is not entirely true, its just that mutations accumulate as do senescent cells and thus you get an increasing proportion of genetically mutated/dysfunctional cells as you age. You still retain a large number of healthy cells, as well as stem cell pools, that can be used as the blueprint for replacing these damaged cells. The problem is finding reliable and safe techniques to do so, which is one of the focuses of SENs.

Not a fraud and not someone who "hasn't done anything." SENs website has a list of publications that resulted from research projects funded partially or entirely by funds it has raised, and he gave most of his money (I think in excess of $10 million) to fund many of these research projects.

He is eccentric and a poor public speaker though.

True once the telomeres are exhausted deleterious deletions begin to occur (and also occur prior to this point) but you still retain a population of healthy cells that can be used as blueprints for therapeutic intervention.

I suspected you might say this. Thanks

For the amount of money spent the results are rather pathetic. I agree that he's not a fraud but he is a delusional rube like his donors.

Millions are not really enough for all the necessary research, Aubrey himself said billions are needed to get things moving in a few decades.

Thereby explaining away any failure through lack of money. Pathetic.

So you're suggesting that curing all the diseases associated with aging (heart disease, cancer, etc.) should be cheaper than curing just one of them (cancer having had many billions of dollars invested in curative research alone)?

The results are objectively rather stellar for the pittance of funding he receives. Especially the 2015 article on the synthesis of glucosepane and the 2016 article on expressing mitochondrial genes from the nucleus.

Fraud.

millions of dollars is like, getting all parents of a upper middle class private school together and pooling their cash. You think you can stop aging on a budget of millions?

are there any exact figures on their funding?

Yeah, with 4 million per year for the building, equipment, and salaries of the scientists they should easily have cured aging by now.

Yes they publish their finances in an annual report.

sens.org/about/organizational-reports

There's nothing wrong with improving lifespan and quality of life, as long as it's done with good intentions.

MOTHER FUCKER
What's the point of living forever if the universe is going to die anyway ?!

t.brainlet

>implying that death through slow deterioration is a good thing

The Moravec Transfer is the only way to preform mind uploading that would actually transfer your consciousness.

>implying consciousness is an object

>implying that after billions of years of technological advancement it won't be possible to figure out how to create a type 4 civilization and colonize other universes

Not sure if you're actually this retarded, but if you assume that you have a continuous consciousness throughout your life, then your consciousness must be transferable. The atoms that form your brain are continuously being replaced along with the atoms in all other parts of your body, essentially Ship of Theseus-ing and forming your shape. The idea behind the Moravec Transfer is gradually replacing the neurons in your natural brain with artificial neurons that are more durable and efficient. If you think that your consciousness is continuous and is being transferred to different matter naturally, then the Moravec Transfer should theoretically work as well.

>but if you assume that you have a continuous consciousness throughout your life
ever heard of the phrase "lose consciousness"?

What I am referring to is if even in situations where you lose consciousness, the "you" that occupies your body is the same "you" that occupies it before and after an individual loses consciousness, if that makes any sense.

>other universes
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHA

why don't u save it?

lol

Can't one be both?

how?

Attached: t.vortigaunt.jpg (259x194, 7K)

You're a brainlet.

see

it won't

>they don't know about recent advances in senolytic drug development
>they don't know about recent progress on breaking glucosepane crosslinks
>they don't know about parabiosis
>they don't know about catabodies
>they don't even have the most elementary of understandings of modern drug development and how new techniques will be fruitfully applied to the problems of human aging

Feels great working in pharma, having a complete understanding of what's going on in the biotech world, and holding a rosy outlook for the future.

This man is a Saviour in the sense that he is offering money to anyone who can solve any and all problems involving aging that significantly increase life expectancy in a proven fashion.

Do you have any idea the amount of shit I would have to pull off to extend your life to double without cryogenics?

Or worse, seal it further with nano-bots or biological agents? Without resorting to cheap imprints and "ghosts"?

This madness boarder on magic.

Attached: shape-of-water-1024x683.jpg (767x431, 28K)

yes yes, but will I be able to cosmetically modify myself into an anime?

if ur so knowledgable - how can we ensure we live long enough to see those drugs in action and prolong our lives?

He isn't wrong if he succeeds in halting the aging process, but still eventually dies.

You know, given human nature, if people got hit on the head by a baseball bat every week, pretty soon they would invent reasons why getting hit on the head with a baseball bat was a good thing. But if you took someone who wasn't being hit on the head with a baseball bat, and you asked them if they wanted it, they would say no. I think that if you took someone who was immortal, and asked them if they wanted to die for benefit X, they would say no.

Attached: eliezeryudkowsky.jpg (280x280, 18K)

Not an argument

not him but just have basic healthy habits and don't do extreme sports or live in the ghetto probably

only dumbasses poison themselves by being obese, eating shit, being sedentary and doing drugs/alcohol/cigs
i expected some pharmaceutist tips like choke on metmorfin and resvaratrol

why does he remind me of Tyrell from the new Bladerunner so much

Attached: aubrey-de-gray-year-2049.jpg (618x412, 14K)

if there was something outside of the realm of healthy living that could extend life reliably for decades everyone would already know about it

who is he?

If that was true he wouldnt have left the holy grail or brought back Lazarus

youtube.com/watch?v=oMTBbVn-bnA&feature=youtu.be

discord.gg/ftSbffu

Attached: 1400841202712231.jpg (2000x1333, 1.46M)

He should really shave his fucking beard, I get that it appeals to the reddit crowd that are desperate for new idols to worship but it doesn't help with serious investors and public leaders

shave no, trim yeah

maybe people keeping their informations up to date might know something that could give us at least minimal edge

his wife is into it

what if he's looking for eternal life just so he can grow his beard as long as possible

Michael jackson

He does miracles so we can understand His power. And obviously even if the holy grail does exist it's not for everyone.

wow so smart