Sushi

H
ello
f
ello
w
weebs, can we talk about sushi?
Or rather, trying to make it at home, in a gaijin country, where you do not have access to "sushi grade" raw fish?
What are nip-approved variants that work with western ingredients?
Or, gasp,
what are non-nip variants that'll drop panties?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Sushi/Sushi_Rice
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So one thing that is easy (as in ingredients) to do, is the rice. At least I can get acceptable quality sushi rice and rice vinegar easily.
But how do I prepare it?
I have had good success with this recipe: en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Sushi/Sushi_Rice
However, the amount of salt and sugar they put into the rice is way above the vinegars solution capacity, so I dunno what to think about that.
And what about the Sake and Kombu? I have Kombu, but I find it doesn not really add much. Can I just dump in some generic rice wine instead of sake?

>he doesn't have a trusted fishmonger that sells high-quality fish that is safe to eat raw
Why are weebs so dumb?

Because some live far away from the sea. At least no tsunamis here, so there's that.

I live in the Midwest and I can get sushi-grade fish. You're retarded.

Fuck.
A flyover has better access to ingredients than me?
…brb…AFK…gonnaKMS…

For your family's sake, I desperately hope this whole thread is a failed attempt at humor.

Who gives a shit, it's probably the most overrated foodstuff there is.

Jealous Amerifat detected.
Go back to your burgers!

This.
If this flyover, pig shit ignorant, drumpff supporting, inbred redneck can get sushi grade fish so can the rest of you.

Go to sleep, Bruce.

No seriously. Japanese food in general is pretty meh, Spanish cuisine kicks Japanese cuisine out of the park.

There's nothing the Spaniards do that the Italians don't do better.

San Sebastian is a better food destination than any Italian city and I stand by that.

Sushi doesn’t have to have fish, you know. Hell, it doesn’t even have to be raw fish when fish is included. It’s mostly about the rice and preparation. Your sushi you make at home being Americanized as fuck is to be expected, but not nessasarily a bad thing. Taking culinary inspiration from another culture and using it in your own cuisine is how new dishes are born.

Spanish and Italian is good.
Post your favourite from each:
>paella
>caprese salad and ravioli (beef)

This. I once made sushi out of honeyed roast beef. The rice vinegar bitterness with crisp cucumber and spicy mayo was delicious.
I've also made it out of kielbasa which was..... too greasy imo but everyone seemed to love it with a bit of mustard to dip.

>serrano ham
>parma ham

gotta love Iberico ham.

>chorizo
>bresaola

Italian is my favourite although I really like Spanish pork dishes.

>San Sebastion
>better food scene than Naples
Nope.

where do i find one of these? web searches haven't been terribly helpful

Go to local stores that specialize in seafood until you find one that sells the good stuff.

>tortilla de pappas
>pizza Margherita

You can easily make tamago and if you find roe it's always "sushi grade"

Technically, sushi refers to the rice and not the fish, so there's no reason you can't make 'sushi' without raw fish.

I like making sushi rolls with strips of grilled or tempura-fried sweet potato and avocado, for example.

>Taking culinary inspiration from another culture and using it in your own cuisine is how new dishes are born.
Spotted the trumptard!
Go away with your evil cultural appropriation!
Veeky Forums is a hate free zone!

but on a more serious note:
"freestyle" sushi can be really fun. Seems like Mango is a new trend, and it's quite intersting, with some cream cheese. Would not pay $15 for it again, but I'll certainly would give it a try when doing it at home.
Also, inside out rolls are fun, when you cover the rise with a layer of sesame seeds.

>You can easily make tamago
That's those
>folded 10000 times
eggs with sugar and soy sauce?
I guess if you go full cultural appropriation, you could probably ignore the folding and end up with something close to it.
> and if you find roe it's always "sushi grade"
What else can you do with row, besides Gunkanmaki?
And while searching for the word above, I found pic related on the wikipedia page.
Futomaki.That seems like fun to experiment with!

Your pic reminds me of a pet peeve of mine: Americans think that california rolls are sushi. No, what's in your pic is real sushi. Just fish and rice, maybe a little seaweed wrapper. No avocados and no cucumbers.

Its close but the fish looks manufactured and fake somehow

Probably just a little dry from being exposed to air too long.

I know it's simple and unadventurous but I really like a decent spaghetti bolognese.

Had tapas in a bar in Madrid.
The squid was so good but the pulled pork was amazing.

They feed the pigs acorns and apples prior to slaughter.

I agree, but I disagree too.
It's fair to call the various non authentic, but it could still be considered sushi, if you just take it for its meaning like "sour rice" or whatever it translates to exactly.
Both has its place, the autistic, 100% unchanged for billions of years japanese original heritage sushi, and the westernized sour rice rolls + x.
Some of them are crap, some are meh and some are downright amazing (BC rolls. Why does no one in Europe do BC rolls?), but what is what probably depends on your taste.
But fuck me if I can tell any good combos that are easy to do with supermarket ingredients.
Gummibear makis?

Is this actually true?

>in a gaijin country, where you do not have access to "sushi grade" raw fish?
what country doesn't have fresh fish? are you a flyover?

To be fair to you a well made bolognese sauce is a thing of pure beauty.
Can some one post a link to that Italian institute(?) that has a recipe for what it believes is the authentic sauce?