Wine tasting is unarguably total bullshit

Wine tasting is unarguably total bullshit.
There aren't many concepts more circlejerky and pretentious than """"professional wine tasting.""""
Fuck me if I'm not gonna roll my eyes at some pompous fuckwad with his 3000 word dictionary specifically about describing fermented grape juice.

Other urls found in this thread:

cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-wine-economics/article/how-expert-are-expert-wine-judges/A9F356BC73B3E38F8DF81C7D70F80D10
cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-wine-economics/article/an-analysis-of-the-concordance-among-13-us-wine-competitions/0133849E8FD76B5D20A13C9F720EE102
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I once got slapped by a chef in culinary school for saying "wine is just liquor for pretentious moms"

t. Midwest

Shoulda slapped him back

Nice

The concept of spitting out wine pisses me off beyond belief.

I went wine tasting once as part of a tour. It was a laugh because none of us knew what we were doing, apart from this one cunt that whipped out a notebook and started writing down aromas and whatever bullshit. Needless to say he was the only one spitting the wine, so when it went to everyone's heads he copped a shit load of heat for it. Was funny, 8/10 would wine taste with a pretentious twat again.

>fermented grape juice
you can make any food sound bad if you describe it in goofy terms
Have you ever gone to a wine tasting? It's really really fun, especially with friends, even more so if you actually go to the vineyard. Here in Oregon my m8s and I go on bike tours with many stops and wineries along the way

you deserved it

It's a way for smug retards to sound smart over sour grape juice.

>I’ve never heard of drinking wine for enjoyment
>therefore nobody enjoys wine, it only exists to make me feel uncultured
things flyovers believe

I'm sure people do drink wine for enjoyment, and I'm sure those people have preferences, but professional wine tasters and their massive pretentiousness about it despite the fact that they can be fooled by adding red coloring to white wine are a different matter.

>Fuck me if I'm not gonna roll my eyes at some pompous fuckwad
Yeah that will show 'em

They can talk all they want, but every single study has shown that wine tasters are incapable of distinguishing between expensive and cheap wines, will award the same wine different prizes and be awarded different scores if they're told it's a more expensive variant, even when there are only minutes between serving it twice,, and will call white wines fruity and full bodied with nothing more than the addition of food colouring.

It's junk science, reliant more on chance than any perceived "abilities" they think they have.

I do something similar with breweries in California. Every month or two a group of us get on our bikes and go around to a bunch of breweries. There's like 15 of them in a 3 mile radius where I am so there's always something new. I prefer the brewery culture to winery culture really, less people posing and pretending theyre upper class.

And just how should those people with "preferences" communicate them with others if not for a commonly recognized vocabulary for describing what they like and don't like? Interpretive dance?

Or is it your wish that everyone keep their thoughts to themselves to avoid triggering the man-children?

>but every single study has shown that wine tasters are incapable of distinguishing between expensive and cheap wines
How are you supposed to know the price of a wine from its taste, Cleetus?

They are told what wine it supposedly is beforehand.

Cretin.

They can be told one wine is three different wines and will give three different scores just by changing the label on the bottle presented to them.

>They unglue the labels from wine bottles
Retard.

You're a bit special aren't you

I don't think you understand what tasting is user.
Then again, the entire point of wine is that its pretentious as fuck, but its also really nice in parts.
Tasting has 2 components:
1. Keywords for aroma, and having tasted enough to recognize them. And then failing miserably at identifying that
2. Muh price vs muh quality

While i do think wine is overrated, it's still a nice drink during a meal. Gets people more talkative and relaxed.

>communicate them with others

By grunts, squeals and monkey chittering like we do down here in god's country, the south. If one of dem dar' hi falutin mincing wine tasters comes down hyar, he'll be drinkin' bayou water by god!

That doesn't explain why industry experts in blind tastings where they're only presented with glasses of wine, will rate a glass in the low 70s and then minutes later, presented with the same wine, rate it in the mid 90s

I've never experienced this.
Sounds like a click bait Gizmodo article or some similar buzzfeed bullshit.

cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-wine-economics/article/how-expert-are-expert-wine-judges/A9F356BC73B3E38F8DF81C7D70F80D10

cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-wine-economics/article/an-analysis-of-the-concordance-among-13-us-wine-competitions/0133849E8FD76B5D20A13C9F720EE102

Neither of those links (which cites the same two articles) come to any conclusion regarding the ability to differentiate between different wines beyond the fact that some people can and some people can't.

That only happens at establishments. Vineyards always tell me to just drink it lol

>hurr two wines made different taste different

is pretentious in 2017

Anyone more annoyed by all the hipsters who think they're so fucking cool by attacking other people's hobbies all day long while engaging in nothing but the meaningless drivel of an anonymous imageboard for their own?

Yeah just because your hobby is as weighty and sound as alternative medicine or astrology doesn't mean people should make fun! They're just jealous!

Jesus Christ, tone down those pleb vibes. I mean, I get your point about the people, but there is so much to wine...I don’t even like it much, but from living in Italy iveyseen a larger world for what regards wine.

Yeah man fuck all those people having fun in a way that isn't Veeky Forums *inhales fat bong rip* *protests about capitalism on Veeky Forums*

fuck those bourgey scum with their non STEM fields! why the fuck would you have a hobby that isn't STEM and Veeky Forums anyway oh my god???? *switches bong out for vape and inhales another toke* fuck the system maaan sheep people ):< WHY CAN'T YOU SEE everything needs at least 110% scientific consensus weights to be valid in my mind???

Maybe you should learn an instrument, that way you can gain a real skill tthat will fill you and others with enjoyment. You know, so you don't die having spent your free time describing fermented grape juice as "autumnal"

There are people with a palate and training who are able to distinguish specific characteristics of different wines and communicate it using a vocabulary that sounds as odd to someone not acquainted with that particular niche as the vocabulary of an avid hunter would sound to the wine taster. And some avid hunters are shitty hunters just like some wine tasters are shitty tasters. But that doesn't diminish those that are skilled in either niche.

Having said that, just try different wines in your price range and find the ones you like.

Yeah man why can't every hobby that ISN'T Veeky Forums contribute to society???

Everything must be PERFECTLY UTILITARIAN except Veeky Forums OR IT'S INVALID!!!!

Why can't you have objective hobbies????!! Fucking sheeple! Wake up! Bourgeois hobbies are scum!

I play the guitar, mandolin and piano.
I suspect you may be quite adept at playing the banjo.

NOOOO!! you can only have the hobbies I say you can!!! mandolin is WORTHLESS nobody uses it so it's invalid!!! omg fucking wine tasters with their pretentious bourgeois hobby