Correct me if I'm wrong, but brandy and rum both taste 100% better than whiskey, so why is whisky so much more popular?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but brandy and rum both taste 100% better than whiskey, so why is whisky so much more popular?

I have this theory that the people who drink it are like people who are fans of black coffee and india pale ale, that is, people who feel superior because they drink something which is clearly repulsive. Or they are of Scottish descent or from Kentucky or something so they feel its part of their heritage. I reach this conclusion based off my observations of people who are big fans of whisky. (This of course precludes old timers who grew up drinking whisky and know nothing else.)

I dont regularly come here but I'm not trolling im just genuinely curious about this.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriander#Taste_and_smell
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>correct me if I'm wrong but "opinion"
>why do people think differently than me
Impressive autism my man

Have you heard of different tastes in drinks or are you so self centered that you believe all people must have the same tastes as you?

yes i think people essentially have similar taste buds. particularly for repulsive tasting things. I find this argument to be a predictable cop out.

I don't like rum, it just tastes like burning but with a nice whisky I can get some nice vanilla notes

Let's stick to the general.

That thread is too knowledgeable and snobbish for me

>hurrrrrrr
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriander#Taste_and_smell

Rum is too sweet.

Brandy tastes like shitty whisky that was steeped in raisins way too long.

I do enjoy black coffee and IPAs but I'm extremely picky when it comes to whiskey/bourbon. Smoked malt can fuck right off. Even Grodziskie style beer is too smoky for me, kek

then why is my dad repulsed by cilantro when I love it dearly

Because I love your dad severely.

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but brandy and rum both taste 100% better than whiskey
You're wrong.

wew that was difficult

Generals fucking blow and so do you

Rum is literally made from sugar desu. Brandy is just distilled wine lmao

you're 100% correct, everyone is just pretending to enjoy things you dislike as a worldwide prank codenamed "Make user think we like things he dislikes"

in fact, all people only enjoy:
>tendies
>cheese pizza (no toppings)
>soda (not tonic water obviously)
>sweets (not licorice though)
>ranch

it's LITERALLY (and this has been proven BY SCIENTISTS) IMPOSSIBLE to enjoy something with even THE SLIGHTEST HINT of bitterness

Impressive autism OP

Brandy and rum taste way too sweet for me. Even some whiskeys are too sweet for my taste. I prefer bitter or savory things to sweet sugary things.

>is it bitter?
god i fucking hate getting this question it makes me want to kill whoever asks it

>I didn't like it it was really spicy

Drinking whiskey makes people feel tough and super manly despite it tasting terrible
Because it tastes so bad most people avoid it which gives the people who do still drink a weird sense of superiority
This is why you will always see hics, fat girls, or the wana be cowboys drinking whiskey

>let's stick to the reddit
Let's not.

I"ll agree that whiskey is too sweet, but rum aint, and I've never had brandy so no opinion on it

only blacks drink brandy

t. sweet tooth

cmon cleetus u ass get in my truck lets go remove its muffler n drive around town

i see it on tinder profiles so much. fatass girls with the bio "I'd rather be one mans shot of whiskey than everyones cup of tea ;)"

Wow. Never seen someone admit to such shit taste so flagrantly. And I've been on /b/ and /r/.
Brandy wine is good. Rum is just total shit across the board. The only problem with Whisky is when it's not bourbon whisky.

fat ugly chicks are having orgies and I can't get a dinner date with a respectable female.

I always assumed that was a line from a shitty pop country song. Basic bitches love pop country.

the difference is you have standards. a fat chicks standards consist wholly of
>he doesn't look like a troll
>he's so desperate he'll worship me

What pisses me the fuck off is fat ugly chicks with cute slender boys. WTF

I'm sure you can find a bunch of dudes to ganging you. But no, you gotta be picky.

cause he aint your dad. it's genetics. lol

Rum is decent but lacks a lot of complexity that I find in whisky. More useful as a mixer.
Brandy always seems to start nicely but leaves a somewhat unpleasant aftertaste. Granted, the most high end thing I've tried is Remy VSOP so I don't really know what I'm talking about.
Vodka remains the king of cheap liquors. Straight up or mixed, it's my shit.

Brandy I agree with, but not rum. Rum is too sweet 2 me.

>It's another cringy poster with the palate of a child thinks people liking coffee or certain alcoholic beverages drink them to look cool episode
Cringe.

Rum is made from sugar cane, molasses or honey. Rum is incredibly sweet as far as spirits go. If you eat lots of sugary food you might not notice that, I dont eat many sugary foods so I think perhaps its more pronounced to me.

OP is clearly a man child who eats too much HFCS and refined sugar.

This is a funny post because its the manchildren who always sperge about whiskey when alcohol is discussed

I drink and enjoy whiskey, brandy, rum, vodka and gin.
WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?

You probably have a group of olfactory-receptor genes, called OR6A2. These allow you to smell and taste aldehyde chemicals, which are tasteless and odorless to most of the population. tl;dr he's not your dad.

Quads

Good rum is much less expensive than good whisky (ie. scotch). Rob Abuelo 12, Diplomatico Exclusiva Reserva, Ron Zapaca 23, all of these can be had for less than sixty bucks. My bottle of Diplomatico actually cost me about thirty.

So I'd ask that you don't judge the spirit based on Captain Morgan and Kraken.

I fuckin hate cheeze pizza
Put Anything on it

>let's stick to a echo chamber of bad taste and repulsively expensive drinks
No thanks.

ham and onions

>Don't judge it based on what most people can afford
Fallacious argument. That's like saying don't judge Chevrolet by their shitty Aveos and Cobalts when they have the Corvette

this is actually a p stupid post

user listed several great rums that don't break the bank, learn to fucking read before you pretend you're some master debater. Heaven Hill makes some well drinks that obviously aren't really good whiskey, but like a Cobalt, it gets you form A to B, so really don't see any substance in what you're attempting to argue. Heaven Hill also makes shit like Larceny that's great not a huge price step though, so saying you have to buy expensive scotch to experience good whiskey is wrong.

Rum is for people who think whiskey would be improved by pouring sugar into it.

Brandy tastes like dialed-down whiskey. Just compare a whiskey and soda with a brandy and soda to see which one folds under the pressure (hint: it's the brandy).

Rum is on the same level as jack honey. Pure sugar and unpalatable unless you're a teenager. Brandy is alright but it's not something I would want to be sipping on when I can have whiskey instead. As for whiskey, it's hit or miss. Sour mash whiskey is on another level and my favorite alcohol. Regular whiskey is alright. The new fad of smoke infused whiskey is fucking disgusting. Bourbon is great but I prefer it as a whiskey sour. Scotch is decent.

rum is terrible you actual child

I like black coffee and IPAs because they are bitter and I like the bitter taste.

As for rum, brandy and whisky, I don't feel like any is better then the other in the same sense that apples are not better then cabbage.

I'm not drinking brown booze, i'm drinking rum or brandy or whisky. Each type has a variety of different tastes. Martinique plantation rum and appleton estate do not have the same taste. Maker's mark and knob creek do not taste the same. Lagavulin 16 and macallan 12 defenitely do not taste the same.

OP is a man of taste

Gin is patrician, followed by rye and vodka if desperate

OP lost all credibility with his follow up opinion on black coffee. Confirmed palletlet

>bad taste and repulsively expensive drinks
Post your superior taste then

you and op are both tastebudlets

it's called different tastes

also rum can be fucking disgusting, I drink brandy (cognac in france) that would make a goat puke, and there's some whiskeys even a pleb like you could drink even at room temperature, but here we are, debating your narrowmindness and underageness

>I have this theory that the people who drink it are like people who are fans of black coffee and india pale ale
if you meant to pick a beer style that hipsters like just to piss any of them off here, you are mistaken. IPAs and craft beer in general are very mainstream now.

Almost every cocktail with vodka tastes better with gin instead. Fuck vodka. Fuck commies.

Brandy and rum, at least the good stuff, aren't volume drinks. You'll get awful heartburn and headaches after 3 or 4 oz. Whiskey you can drink all night.

Are you all a bunch of newfags? This is some blatantly obvious bait lmao.

You just aren't drinking the right whisky.

Laphroaig. There is no substitute.

So what do you drink, faggot?

I'm drinking this right now and just the smell is making me nauseous

This guy gets it

Especially all the people talking up Hennessy, that raisins thing is on point. Whiskey/Gin all day!

You are just wrong. Rum is gross, the cheap stuff is okay but the good stuff is too sugary. Same with brandy except it's all shit (and I have tried tons of homemade and expensive ones). Whiskey has good flavor and isn't heavy and sticky sweet. I drink everything from bourbon to rye and scotch. Cheap and expensive, it all has a purpose

Good whiskey makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside

Bad rum and bad whiskey make me feel cold and empty inside

Oh man this
Whiskey has become the numale in denial's choice drink

Wait, what do you guys like? I like opposite!

IPAs no matter how boring they get are always better than macro swill at least. Black coffee gets good when it's expensive but 99% drink coffee for the effect.
Whiskey is popular because it's easy to get into for a newbie but it's getting severely overpriced (good Scotch at least) so I assume Brandy stands a good chance of becoming more popular in a near future.

don't you have some toxic masculinity to be blogging about

like i'm married to a dude and you're still the biggest faggot here

>overpriced (scotch at least)
Scotch has always been more expensive in the US due to shipping and import taxes. It's not overpriced. And whiskey isn't "getting overpriced" there's just a high demand for it and the market is reacting with increased supply which results in higher prices.

That's the simple explanation anyway.

Once you’re in the adult world you’ll find people do drink brandy and rum, they’re enormously popular

The reason Veeky Forums loves whisky and beer, and fears every other beverage, is because Veeky Forums is full of insecure youngsters. By exclusively drinking “film noir” beverages they hope to come across as masculine hard men, the dark and mysterious type. The alcohol version of a peachfuzz moustache and an ill fitting suit.

Meh, I like both rum and bourbon, depending on my mood.

I bet you own cowboy boots and carry a knife with you lol

you are a fruity faggot who likes to dring cheaply made liquid girl candy which is sold for a premium price, congratulations.

>Once you’re in the faggot world you’ll find people do drink brandy and rum, they’re enormously popular
Fixed. I also found a pic of you on the internet.

not even close

Haha it is true cowboy! You are also overweight i know these things

>eating vegetables makes you gay and weird looking
t.flyover

Holy shit. Mega Satan doesn't like a burning taste? How is this possible?
My world has just been rocked

Vodka is gin mongoloid. It is literally just the world's favorite flavored vodka.

i'm a skinny gay canadian
the only knives i own are for the kitchen

Haha

i'm married though

yeah youre a skinny gay guy lmao

yeah and

Haha i bet you look like this This is what the whiskey drinkers look like

nah i have broader shoulders and more facial hair than that
no tats or piercings either
just drink rye whiskey dude it's nice

I like rum, OP.
I actually really love Bacardi’s clear rum.

But I also like Laphroaig and a few other single malts and scotch blends.

I hate bourbon because corn liquor is gross and rye tastes like shit

No it fucking isn't.

The only explanation for this thread is, that you are an Amerimutt.

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but brandy and rum both taste 100% better than whiskey,
No. It's all about price and quality. If you're spending over $50 and getting legit good spirits, there's not an appreciable quality difference between whisky, rum and brandy, especially because all are aged in wood, giving them all similar wood notes.

have you ever actually had expensive brandy, whisky or rum? You can't even get decent brandy for less than $40-50 in the first place.

The best spirit I've ever had does happen to be one of the high-end McCallan's, but I've had cognacs that are comparable.

It's cheap and made domestically. The quintessential American liquor.

>:(

Can this possibly be true?

It could be true that E&J rigged the contest. Their peach "brandy" and XO are vile.

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but brandy and rum both taste 100% better than whiskey

Well... you're wrong. Taste is subjective. I find rum and brandy to be too sweet, I can't even finish them on their own without feeling sick. I like whiskey and vodka, my girlfriend likes rum and tequila. Different people like different things.

I hate IPA but love whisky. Rum and Brandy are also good