Welcome to the Veeky Forums challenge: I don't know what the hell I'm doing Numbaz come back or someone at least hold...

Welcome to the Veeky Forums challenge: I don't know what the hell I'm doing Numbaz come back or someone at least hold my hand edition!

The theme is announced on the 1st of every month, and submissions are welcome up until the 23rd.
After that the voting/rating thread goes up and everyone is welcome to vote on the submitted dishes.

VOTING GUIDELINES

Voting follows an 'Iron Chef' style scoring system. This means you, the people of Veeky Forums, will judge each entry individually instead of deciding on what you feel is the "best" dish.

We will have two modes of voting:
Casual votes: Vote for as few or as many submissions as you like. Votes will not be tallied and purely for contestants to know how they are doing.
Competitive votes: To submit a competitive vote, you must vote for EVERY submission. These votes will be counted and the winner announced.

Dishes are scored out of a total 20 points, based on 4 categories (worth a maximum of 5 points each); Presentation, Originality, Appeal and Challenge Goals. You may award 0's if you feel the contestant did not meet your expectations for a category.

-Presentation: The appearance of items on the plate; plating skills
-Originality: Creativity in composing the dish
-Appeal: How appetizing the food looks/whether or not the dish appeals to your personal taste as a voter
-Challenge Goals: How closely the entry followed the challenge goal(s)

The distinction between Presentation and Appeal: If someone submits an artfully arranged but burnt steak as an entry, it may score high in Presentation but low in appeal.

The theme of March is...... SIDE-DISH!

While you're perfectly welcome to make a large spread of food, please make sure there is clearly a "main dish" (IN THIS CASE "SIDE DISH" IF YOU DECIDE TO MAKE A SPREAD, SPECIFY WHICH IS YOUR ENTRY) because that is what people will be voting on.

BONUS CONTENT:

Introduction video explaining the challenge for you newbs: youtube.com/watch?v=Mo6KUNqdsz0

This challenge has been going on for ever, whine about the internet somewhere else.

Here's some ancient web 1.0 weird ass shit I found:

>What is considered positive contribution?

>Our definition of "positive contribution" is the submission of substantial, helpful, friendly, and humorous posts to the boards, along with the uploading of quality images and files. We feel that positive contribution should be treated as a way of donating to Veeky Forums without actually having to fork over cash.

>Why is contribution so important?

>Contribution is important because it is what drives this website. If we didn't have a dedicated pool of users who frequently contribute, we'd be yet another stagnant run of the mill forum. But we aren't. By having an increasing number of diverse and quality contributors, Veeky Forums becomes more unique, interesting, and enjoyable to use.

>How can I become a good contributor?

>It's really quite easy. If you have something to add to a topic: reply. If you have an interesting, high quality, neat, rare, etc. picture: upload it! Share your mind and image collections with us. Don't just leech! Give back to the community which you take from. It's a simple and effective way to grow the site. Before contributing, make sure you're acquainted with the rules.

>What is "shitposting"?

>Shitposting is "knowingly contributing low quality, off-topic, or ill intentioned posts."

Numbaz take over whenever or not.
So here is my own contribution from the previous bread.
Risotto with garlic and onion.
Simple, but made whole with a plethora of vegan ingredients including vegetable bouillon and almond milk.

This is a simple dish, I did in fact have it as a side, and I invite you to contribute and enrich this board with your dish.
>HINT: THANKSGIVING IS COMING UP FOR AMERIFAGS, SO POST YOUR THANKSGIVING SIDES IF YOU SO PLEASE.
Now is the time to test such, and appeal to internet points to strangers on a Thai scooter pannier manufacturing forum.

I should mention that the flakey shit is lemon zest, as the dish is also flavored with the juice of a lemon, and that it is garnished with green olive, green onion strips, and a small amount of paprika for my personal nostalgia's sake.

I'm here with you.
Kind of thinking about making dolma "tater tots" just for shits and giggles. Not really for the challenge, but just for friendly reasons.
Thanks for picking up the slack.

I don't understand the rules

kek sounds like a winner to me.
see on the very off chance that you're trolling
>make a side dish
>post a pic
>have something in the pic as an "identifier"
>???
>win come voting time

What the hell are you talking about "identifier" are we still cooking?

Look at my picture See the time stamp? Behind that is a piece of rose quartz. That is my identifier.
People have used figurines, legos, a goddamn toothpick.
Something that is unique and "identifies" you. This is not an "avatar" as you are not continually posting with this. This doesn't require a trip-code. Just "some, thing" next to your entry with a time-stamp. If this isn't clear idk how you're using a computer right now.

I look forward to your contribution.

Maybe. Maybe I'll try something over the weekend.
Veganfang, you go!

Bump

>See the time stamp? Behind that is a piece of rose quartz. That is my identifier.
That's just some crumpled-up plastic wrap.

My identifier is air. Every photo I take has some air in it.

WTF can I make with some cauliflower? I have no fucking idea.

Make any side dish you want.
Also, I'm still alive. Sorry.

Good I've never steered the ship alone before.

Cauliflower cheese is a favourite to many. I make cauliflower, lady finger and potato curry pretty often. Cauliflower mashed potato is good, but not that common shit. No. Instead, cook the cauliflower, mash it with butter then whip in instant mashed potato flake until you get the right consistency. It's really rather good.
My favourite, though, is either brined/marinated cauliflower AKA pickled or cauliflower curry rice with smoked fish.

is Numbaz kill?

rip, he was a good OP. good luck veganfag

He's here. ...Right?

just let this shit die man, nobody cares anymore, if only 2 or 3 people enter and only 2 or 3 vote its completely retarded

if people actually gave a shit id probably enter but the way its been going is just pathetic and not worth the effort.

desu its numberz fault for dissappearing for weeks at a time, seriously let it die and give it a rest, maybe start it back up later sometime and see how it goes but this a waste of time and effort.

Also, I used to be a bit of a rock hound, and that is definitely rose quartz.
Yeah, I'm still here.

Cauliflower is the new kale.
Ate at a nice place in Seattle before the Morrissey (fuck off in advance) concert a couple weeks ago. It was in 2 of their dishes.
And, as a person who works in the food industry, I got a sample of "cauliflower rice" last week. It's a thing, for sure.

>I'm still alive. Sorry.
Don't feel too bad. A lot of people spent efforts on being alive. It's not your fault.

Just piss off then?
Did you type that out not knowing how pathetic you sound?
Appreciate the cool comment, though.

Last month was an anomaly, not the way things usually go. September had like sixteen entries and plenty of votes, so just calm down and let's see how this month goes.

That's what I keep thinking idk why people gotta freak out.

Look man you gotta do desserts. Bitches love desserts.

Feel better, Numbie.

Thanks for the kind words.
Thanks for the bump.

Well, not everyone has been watching all the previous threads, so it's understandable.

Most of those were troll entries and troll votes and thus should not be accounted for in your estimation. Even bubble chimed in and couldn't believe how bad this has gotten.

I'm confused, is this for March or November?

Here's my entry, Sweet Potato Casserole with Cranberry Sauce, 2 Thanksgiving staples. The creamy casserole has a really nice crispy and slightly sweet pistachio crust, without being overpoweringly candy-like. The sauce is a perfect balance of sweet and sour, though sadly it wasn't thick enough to mold onto the plate. Served alongside a nice pork chop, for lack of turkey, it all went together great and tasted amazing.

And my entry wouldn't be complete without a vertical of the process. Also, forgot to mention the freshly baked pumpkin seed bread that I served it alongside with.

Looks amazing!

My bad, it's pasta from an archive.

I know, just ribbing you.
Got a little project going for later this week. Should post an entry in the next few days.. Are verticals required for authenticity?

Nope just a timestamp and identifier (write your trip on the timestamp, or in your case an object if you don't want to use tripcode)

November, you jabroni.
>too much Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Thanks for the entry!
Thanks for the vertical!

A quick bump to tide us over...

Bump

Easy Corn Casserole

1 stick of butter
Half of a small sweet onion, chopped
2 eggs
8 oz carton French onion dip
8.5 oz Jiffy corn muffin mix (dry)
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can cream style corn, undrained

Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Sauté onion in half the butter, remove from heat and add the rest of the butter so that it melts.
In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs, then add the rest of the ingredients - including the onion and melted butter - and thoroughly mix.
Pour into greased casserole dish and bake for 45 minutes or until set.

This is a very flexible recipe, so you could leave out the onions, use a bit more or less butter, use plain sour cream instead of dip, etc. I add the eggs to make it thicker, but it does fine without them, too.

Ingredients for Easy Corn Casserole

Sorry for the sideways photos.

Thanks for the entry!
Don't worry about the sideways, I always correct for that shit before vote thread goes up.

Here's with ID. Maybe I'll get a prize for most attempts before getting the photo correct. Probably still sideways, though!

Coolio. Working on a Thanksgiving leftovers themed breaded ravioli appetizer.. Hopefully I end up with something postable.

I didn't mean "cauliflower rice" as in riced cauliflower IE that grated, steamed crap that's almost, but not quite, entirely unlike rice. No. It's basically a fried rice dish with cauliflower and spices in it, finished with maldives fish, scallion greens, coriander leaves and crisp-fried shallots. It's goddamn magical is what it is.

I'm more a one pot meal sorta guy than X with side dishes sort of guy. I don't even know what would really be considered a side dish. That risotto above seems like a main to me, for example.

A side dish is whatever you say it is.
Use your IMAGINATION!