Veeky Forums Pre-Thanksgiving thread

Ok Veeky Forums Thanksgiving is coming up. Post those dinner plans.

Specialty dishes or anything you like to make for it are also welcome.

I’m making my parsnip purée for this years.

How to prepare for the leftover turkey sandwiches? What sandwich toppings and condiments should i buy in advance in anticipation of a week of turkey sandwiches?

Cream cheese

too hard to spread on bread

>entire family except for me will be out of town for thanksgiving
>can't go because retail cuck and HAVE to work during Thanksgiving or i'll get fired
guess i'll just hit up the chinese buffet after my shift

>tfw retailcuck but religious traditionalist owners so no work on Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter

I'm gonna help with side dishes. I'll make Chef John's French onion green bean casserole again. As for the mashed potatoes, I'll either do regular, or garlic. Not sure which yet.

i'm jealous. i'd love hitting a chinese buffet then downing some cheap liquor until i pass out

I just made a pumpkin pie for dinner with my friends tomorrow!

i'm in charge of the turkey. 5 hours on the smoker. i have endless supply of red oak scraps from work.

I smoked some jerky last weekend with red oak. It's a great smoking wood, every bit as good as hickory.

BritBong here. I love an excuse to eat too much.

Teach me how to thanksgiving?

basically all you family gets together, brings food and pretends they don't hate each other

Don't forget the drinking!
Best game is "drink when it's awkward" lmao.

my mom loves making cheesy potatoes. every time she says 'cheesy potatoes' we all do a shot

You've got to have a drunk uncle making raunchy, inappropriate jokes. Otherwise, it's smorgasbord style. You get together, watch the Macy's Parade in NYC, and football afterwards. Everybody brings a dish to the meal. You eat "dinner" at 1:00 or 2:00 pm, and at least two plates of dinner and two plates of dessert are mandatory. Mandatory desserts include pumpkin pie and at least one or two other pies and fruit cobblers. Then you eat turkey sandwiches, turkey soup, turkey casserole, and turkey pot pies for the next few days.

If you want the flavors, just make yourself a open-faced Thanksgiving sandwich with thick bread, roast turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, and optionally cranberry sauce.

Do I need miniature american flags?

>turkey everything for a week or so
this is why it's so important to not overcook the turkey and do something like brine it to get more flavor in there

No, but Native American skulls are appropriate. If you can get drunk and piss on their graves, that will also suffice.

should I make a turkey Veeky Forums? I'm not a merican

Turkey is the worst meat by far, probably because it's so low fat.

Miniature? Certainly not. 3 feet by 5 feet minimum, larger is strongly recommended.

Just pour gravy all over it.

Holy shit, better order one. When is thanksgiving btw?

It's a pain-in-the-ass to make it well. Good roast turkey needs brines and/ or injections and/or constant basting. If you're going to the trouble of doing it right, along with all the side dishes (stuffing or dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy), it's damn good. You get lots of leftovers, so at least you'll eat for a few days for all your work.

Fuck thanksgiving. Turkey is a shittier version of chicken. I’d rather eat some rotisserie chicken or some KFC

Thanksgiving isn't about food or thanks anymore none american.

You have to go shopping and buy tons of stuff and fight with people at the store. It's about getting.

And jeeze you make it once a year just baste it every half hour it's not that hard. You can even cook it in an oven bag and it will cook in it's own juices and be juicy.

If you have to brine you are just not a good cook. Brining just makes it taste processed like lunch meat.

I need your best recipes for

a) stuffing (what kind of bread to use?)

I want to make a chestnut stuffing.

b) sweet potato casserole (marshmallow are not optional, we are serving little kids)

c) carrot cake cupcakes

use home made bread, store bought doesn't get properly stale to absorb the liquid. I make a smoked oyster dressing,
bread
celery
eggs
melted butter
lil bit of cream
smoked oysters

put the cram butter and oysetrs into a blender, once blended if still warm, tempery your eggs before adding them, and blend some more
dice celery, toss sauce together with celery and stale bread cubes. spread into a pan, thicker if you like it like bread pudding, thinner if you want it to be dryer. and bake

And you have to do this in november as a practice run for christmas?

yep. thinking about trying to get my hands on a goose instead of turkey. anyone had both? how do they compare

What should I put in my turkey, veggie/fruit wise?

Last year i went over to my white friends house for thanks giving and the food tasted bland as fuck.

Like seriously do white people even know how to cook

Kinda depressing tbqh.

Turkey deboned and detendoned, breasts, legs, thighs, wings all individually vacuum sealed. Was gonna use the wings for the stock but they're so meaty that I decided to eat them. Carcass, neck, tendons, wing tips chopped up for stock. Liver set aside (probably gonna sear and eat separately, I don't want my stock iron-y). I am ready for tender, juicy, flavorful turkey with crispy skin. Done this before, and the results are incredible. I used to hate turkey, I never knew it didn't have to be dried out garbage.

And abortions.

I agree, all food should taste like hot sauce.

But at the cost of working Black Friday? No, not worth it. Fucking consumerist bullshit the whole thing.