Many states in the US decided to ban disposable plastic bags, why haven't they banned disposable coffee cups too?

Many states in the US decided to ban disposable plastic bags, why haven't they banned disposable coffee cups too?
They're an even bigger source of trash than grocery bags, and the worst thing is they're literally un-recyclable.

Unlike most forms of disposable cups, only coffee cups are made of virgin paper pulp with a bonded plastic layer, they cannot simply be mixed with the paper goods at recycling plants, they require specialty processes which nobody wants to deal with.
Instead, recycling centers make it a point to redirect starbucks cups to the landfill.

Coffee cups cannot be recycled, starbucks addicts should be forced to carry their own reusable container for hot coffee.

Other urls found in this thread:

sandiegouniontribune.com/news/environment/sd-me-plastic-bags-20161111-story.html
huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/01/hawaii-plastic-bag-ban_n_7702382.html
calrecycle.ca.gov/plastics/carryoutbags/FAQ.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because liberals are hypocrites.

When did any states ban them? As far as I'm aware, many stores are phasing them out voluntarily.

>implying that in 34 years when China's invasion is complete Americans won't be "mining" those landfills and processing everything in them.

No states have banned them, but some municipalities have.

Hawai'i and California did for years now.

Yeah, but Hawaii and Commiefornia have been leftist hellholes for years now.

sandiegouniontribune.com/news/environment/sd-me-plastic-bags-20161111-story.html

huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/01/hawaii-plastic-bag-ban_n_7702382.html

Does Russia really pay you to type that?

Nope. I type it FOR FREEdom.

Well you definitely have excelled at the dom part.

recyclers are fucking prissy assholes
>oh no you can't recycle pizza boxes the grease ruins the paper
>noo you can't recycle paper plates there's food on them eww
>you cant recycle milk containers!!!
>don't throw foam in the blue bin!!

you know what? go fuck yourself

The paper coffee cups at my work are compostable.

Do you even know how recycling works or do you think they just cast a polymorph spell on all the shit that goes into recycling bins?

California hasn't actually banned it, they just made it so businesses get taxed more if they use certain materials for to-go containers and the like. This is why places like IHOP and chinese food stopped using foam containers over here, and why McDonald's now has separated trash bins.

so you're okay with polluting the poor planet even further?

Yeah man. Fuck shit up.

Aww look at the cute little libcuck caring about the environment.

How do you know when a liberal is being dishonest?
It's a liberal, it's always dishonest.

Not that user, but the points he made are interesting to consider, as all those are things that get used in millions, and if some scientist comes up with solution to efficient separating of organic matter from material that can be recycled, not only would amount of waste be lowered even further, but more people could be swayed to actually start recycling.

Companies won't push for carbon taxes
People won't push for carbon taxes
Most national governments don't push for carbon taxes
Most national governments don't subsidize the costs of recycling the little stuff that ironically adds up to massive amounts of contaminants

The point is, people are responsible for this and most of them don't give a fuck. I feel sorry for the environment and the rest of the species, but since oil discoveries of all kinds are diminishing rapidly and no alternate source of energy as dense as oil have been found, we can expect a massive drop in the human population within 40 years.

Shit's self-correcting, yo. Too bad plastic lingers for a while.

Aren;t the cardboard ones atleast biodegradable though/

Cone to Austin, we have compost collection here. All of our pizza boxes and greasy paper plates have a home of their own in the green bin.

>California: "At least we got rid of those pesky bags ruining the environment he-"
*State catches on fire*

Don't those kinds of places already sell branded metal thermoses? The idea could actually work if they agreed to take a hit and sell the thermoses for less, then more people would have them and they wouldn't have to deal with manufacturing their own cups at the same volume.

>could i get a coffee please
where's your cup
>don't have one
sorry man can't help you

how dumb would that be if this guy wasn't lying on the internet

it's because of all the almond farming

Don't those paper coffee cups degrade, as they're just paper and wax?

you are right, being outright destructive and anti humanity is straight up sincere. Of course, how dumb we are.

And for being California.
Nature just figures earthquakes can't kill off people fast enough.

This. I've actually attributed the wildfires to the burning fire of the damned. God hates homosexuals and liberals.

That said... If I receive a paper bag or am required to bring several $10 cloth bags the next time I shop, I am going to start ordering food from online just so their little trucks have to run a little longer. Their trucks put out more emissions than my car.

>where's your cup
>>don't have one
>That's okay, we have these ¢50 cups on premises
>>¢50 is a bit steep for a cup that's "reusable" in name only, but fine, give me one of those this time. Next time I'll remember to take my mug.
>Awesome. Here's your coffee, have a nice day!

They have a plastic coating that never degrades.

>says the party of straight up full on destruction.

Fuck off, idiot.

All you can do is insult, literally nothing of value comes out, that should be your party motto.

>and the worst thing is they're literally un-recyclable.
Yes, they are.
Cardboard is recyclable and bio degradable.
The lids and plastic cups are recyclable as well.

Stop posting if you are to lazy to look up even cursory facts about what you are discussing.

You are going to feel pretty dumb when you realize that most wildfires happen in rural areas where the populace primarily votes conservative.
t. rural californian

Fpbp, your only other responses were immediate anger and name calling, i love it.

i'm not necessarily defending homosexuals or liberals, but i am really definitely certain that god hates you.
are you from westboro by any chance?

>not coming back, i'll go somewhere else that actually gives me what i wanted (coffee in a cup)
thanks, homo
i can not see your business model working anywhere outside of san francisco

Do you even know what those words mean? Do you know what any words at all mean?

Pretty obvious from the context what he meant idiot.
Conservatives have been fighting against environmentalism for decades.

there's an antifa rally today for more info
if you're really curious
fucking fascists

real talk though what does fascist mean? i heard it was bad

If you're white and don't agree with someone you're a fascist

I'm actually from a very liberal area.

it all makes sense now

yeah well, like i said, god definitely hates you

t. god's bf

>says someone who's never been to San Francisco

>i'll go somewhere else that actually gives me what i wanted (coffee in a cup)
So you'll emigrate? Good.

The whole idea of this thread is that a lot of what is done is the name of environmentalism doesn't make sense and isn't helping. Is what he means by "straight up destruction" not pretending you care while you do the same damage? I'll be sure to add that to my retard to human dictionary

It doesn't matter that banning plastic bags is a waste of time, it's like a religious practice. I can keep driving my 2.5 ton luxury crossover suv and eating meat everyday as long as I put the groceries in a fucking plastic bag.

Do you guys remember when sun chips came out with a biodegradable bag that was ridiculously loud when it wrinkled, and it was phased out almost immediately because people found that totally unacceptable? It was a few years ago and I hope some record of it exists online

>It doesn't matter that banning plastic bags is a waste of time, it's like a religious practice. I can keep driving my 2.5 ton luxury crossover suv and eating meat everyday as long as I put the groceries in a fucking plastic bag.
So all or nothing is the only way, and the concept of gradual transition or step by step is entirely foreign to you?

why is it we can't even have a thread about coffee cups without it turning into a political argument?

>mention local laws
>no politics
Pick one.

This is BARELY food and cooking related. Mods pls move to /pol/ where the trash belongs.

It ACTUALLY belongs in the RECYCLING. Fucking idiot...

Don't sit there and tell me if you're a liberal you love mother nature and if you're a conservative you hate her. That's a retarded accusation.

You're a funny guy, Sully.

Food is biodegradable but over in the UK if you put food scraps in the bin the binmen could fine you.

Desu I think it's just playing off fear, there's no way anyone is gonna waste time tearing into the bags to search for food waste and it also has the problem of someone being fined because of a neighbor putting food inside someone else's bin. Unless they want to waste money putting CCTV down every alleyway I think the only way people will follow this law is "oh but what if I get fined? ;_;"

There's some massive soyboy asspain going on itt.

Why wouldn't you want to compost, though? It is choice for gardening.

No. Conservatives have been fighting lefty wealth redistribution packaged as "saving the environment", so they can point and say "look how those evil conservatives hate our planet" when their loaded bills get shot down

It's a ban. Enacted by law...

calrecycle.ca.gov/plastics/carryoutbags/FAQ.htm

Gee. You better recycle that coffee cup or you’re responsible for the next ice age! Never mind China completely fucking the environment and making all our attempts to salvage what’s left useless.

These “go green” faggots need to fly to China to protest pollution.

It's wrong but conservatives have been unfairly associated with right-libertarianism for decades.

Conservatism means preserving the countryside and the natural environment too. A conservative that wants big city blocks spanning the entire world is destroying his own movement via sheer demographics.

Absolutely no one wants to find a fucking dime to pay for a bag containing 8-10x as much plastic that gets thrown away anyways.
Fucking DC garbage. Keep it to yourself faggots.

And apparently have reading comprehension issues as well

Mostly ocean communities with commercial fishing interests. Plastic in the ocean is really a problem and plastic bags resemble the jellyfish that game fish consume.

I miss these containers

I guess I can understand why those areas would want to ban them.

For what purpose?

I wish fast food came in edible paper, simply ordering food for 4 people creates an incredible amount of paper waste, and none of it is recyclable in most areas because it's "food soiled" and isn't worth the recycling process since they just throw everything into the same drying kilns and the food oils make shit quality paper stock.

There is someone who missed the point here, and it isn't the guy you're arguing with

I'm surprised this thread still exists, but anyway......
I was going to post yesterday, but blew it off. I live in a city where EVERYTHING goes to the city recycling center. We don't have separate bins, the city wants us to put everything in the trash, which they pick up and haul to their own sorting facility, which goes to local and regional recycle centers. Everything that can be recycled is recycled. Officials from cities all over the world come to tour and observe it as a model for their own cities. It's actually pretty amazing. They also do special days for "green" recycling which means yard and tree clippings, and leaf pickup. They also provide city stop for Christmas tree recycling where you drop your tree off and they mulch it, although you can just put it out on their green day too. It's such a relief to have it taken care of without any extra work, while the local economy also profits from it.

This transition is extraordinarily gradual in that case then, at this rate we'll have eliminated all grocery bag waste around 2047, right after the start of the lithium wars

fpbp
you know youre right when you say something in a simple way with no insults and no intent to offend and the people you're calling out, but they still insult you and whine