Medium rare burger

>medium rare burger

OK isn't the whole concept behind the safety of rare meat the idea that the germs responsible for potential sickness breed on the outside of the meat? So rare doneness is fine for steak...

If that's the case then why would anyone want a ground burger anything but well or well done?

>why would anyone want a ground burger anything but well or well done
Because they are retarded and have no idea. Pic is pig disgusting.

The shit part about this is that I know for a goddamn fact that I've been asked at more than one burger joint how well done I want my burger. Red Robin I believe asks.

Some people eat ground beef raw. It’s called steak tartare.

>If that's the case then why would anyone want a ground burger anything but well or well done?
Because it tastes a million times better. I had well done burgers my whole life, tried medium and though "oh this is OK". Then I tried Medium Rare and I finally understood why beef-fags liked beef.

Medium Rare just tastes incredibly better, anything else is super dry

Medium is the best for burgers I think.

Burger meat is way lower quality than steak. its retarded to have a rare burger.

That's because it's freshly ground before being served. As long as you have a competent butcher at work, you're probably gonna be fine.

i want my burger patty to be a bit dry, dense, and chewy.

sometimes you just want to gnaw on something. ya know?

plus, the moisture comes from the veggies and condiments.

I've always ordered my burgers medium-rare to rare because it tastes better and I have never gotten sick.

These days you're much more likely to get norovirus from eating at a restaurant than e. colli or salmonella.

Eating undercooked/raw eggs or beef is relatively safe thanks to our industrial cleaning processes (which are also horrific and/or disgusting: using chemical agents on actual meat products, pumping up animals full of antibiotics and vaccines, freezing, destroying infected populations etc.)

It's much more likely that human hands will touch your meat with little pieces of poop that can potentially be infected with transmittable illnesses.

What if you grind the meat yourself and cook it medium rare? That way you're sure there are no unknown bacteria going into your meat.

>If that's the case then why would anyone want a ground burger anything but well or well done?
Because it tastes better.
Any decent restaurant that still has a burger on the menu will either ask or bring it out medium-rare to medium depending on the thickness of the patty without asking.

Doesn't have to be. Go to a nice steak place and order their burger.

Even steak isn't safe at any level below medium well

Toxoplasmosis

This is not an issue provided you source from places that aren't supermarkets.

It's always an issue, regardless of source

You could even raise them yourself

Why are Americans so petrified of food? 'I can't eat rare steak or it'll kill me' 'I can't eat hollandaise sauce or it'll kill me' 'I can't eat mousse or it'll kill me', isn't that exhausting? I don't even know whether American food is genuinely filthy and dangerous or whether people are just paranoid, but regardless I just can't fathom being so scared of food.

It's settled science, there's more than just E. Coli out there

Besides that, our meat is safer than most British

(Mad cow, etc)

I'm not British, and the last BSE positive animal recorded in England was in 2004. The last BSE positive animal recorded in America was in 2012.

And the most high-risk parts of cattle in order to contract the disease are brain and spinal tissue, which are found in processed meat products - not steaks.

Hasn't it been 20+ years since britstania had mad cow?

It's been that long since anyone's contracted the disease, which is invariably fatal.

It's almost impossible to completely eradicate the capacity for it (as mentioned above, an American animal was found with it in 2012) but rigorous testing (like they have in place) will reveal the problems before the animals even arrive at the abattoir, let alone end up on a plate.

And cooking infected meat all the way through isn't considered a reliable way of dealing with infected meat either. If you have any reason to suspect that the meat you're putting in your mouth is diseased, then frankly it's revolting that you'd choose to eat it anyway regardless of how cooked it was.

Steak: mid rare

Burger: mid well

I would say rare steak over medium rare but other than that good choices. 9/10 would take on a fancy steak dinner

yo maybe im wrong here, but germs definitely breed within and on the outside of the meat. idk if more bacteria ends up on the outside, but what i think is that
for medium rare and rare beef, the internal temperature at the very center/at the coldest during the cooking process reaches 130-140 deg fahrenheit, which is sufficient to kill off most bacteria within a few minutes, i think. when the meat is cooked it will obviously cool off but if done properly the meat will reach a temperature that actually sterilizes harmful strains. dont quote me but this is what i know from cooking sous vide

Medium Rare is Ok, but medium burgers are the best.

Medium Rare is the best for steaks.

Funny Trivia: In my native language we call medium something like "Just right"

Isn't mad cow disease caused by prions, which only die at like ~1000 degrees?

>not cooking a rare steak, then grinding it directly onto a hamburger bun

Because the risk is very small, and less cooked burgers taste a lot better.

You question is like asking:
>car accidents happen, right? so why would anyone ride in a car?
The risk is lower than the reward.

I usually get my burger medium. No parasites that I know of yet... I do drink a lot of alcohol though so maybe it’s killing everything in the meat

It's fine if the meat is of good quality.

No I know that it's a higher risk. But it tastes better so I don't give a shit. I understand why someone would want it cooked through though.