Help! Is my steak safe to eat?

I went to the butcher on Thursday and asked him to cut me a rib-eye steak (saw him cut it in front of me), he covered it in a bit of ceran-wrap, closed it in a plastic bag sealed with one of those sticky plastic strips and then in a supermarket type plastic bag (meaning to say it was essentially air-tight). I put it in the fridge about 10mins later and has been sitting there until tonight.

I went to cook it and unpacked it a couple of minutes ago and it smelled rather funky, not necessarily foul but sort of like cheese and was a bit sticky and slimy to the touch. The meat itself does not disintegrate to the touch or feel like slime but it seems to be coated in a layer of the stuff. No visible mold or anything other some normal oxidisation. So basically it looks fine but smells and feels a bit off.

Would it be safe to eat?

>ceran-wrap
Stopped reading there. You aren't smart enough to deserve steak, so just throw it out.

What? Oh that piece of plastic film that was touching the meat seemed to have a fair amount of bubbly liquid it on it when I removed it from on the steak.

It's spelled Saran, dipshit.

Halp

Oh, I just spelled it phonetically. In the UK we call it cling-film.

Then why not call it that? Why try to spell a brand name that you have no familiarity with? Holy shit, you're fucking stupid.

Why get so upset about how he spelled it? Jesus

Ground meats should be cooked or frozen within 1-2 days, whole cuts 3-5 days. I think you waited too long to cook it, an off smell is a good indicator that the meat is no longer safe to eat. Unfortunately I think you should throw it away.

I personally wouldn't risk it.
I never let any type of meat sit in the fridge for more than 2 or 3 days.

It's rib-eye steak, not ground meat.

Yeah me either. At 4 days I suppose I'm right on the border of what I'd even consider eating, hence my question.

It's the smell and slime that put me off more than anything.

Because it's mainly Americans who are awake at this hour and I wanted to make it easier for them to understand. What an asshole right?

>It's rib-eye steak, not ground meat.
I know, I wasn't saying it's ground meat. I was just giving you the information on how long each type of meat can be stored before being cooked or frozen. Your steak is considered a whole cut, which I also mentioned.

I mis-read your post. I think you're right I'll just bin it. I was just hoping that searing it on a hot pan would kill whatever is on the surface.

>cling film

Well at least you've stepped up your 2 year old nursery babble to a 5 year old kindergarten spawn. Previously you would have called it, "tightsies gob stuffer lookers."

It's definitely not ok. Smell is really the best way of checking meat. Humans are very much inclined to detect the scent of rotting meat, even when it is only slightly bad

heating up toxins just gives you hot toxins.
It might kill the shit making poison, but you're still eating poison.

All good. Searing it will kill the bacteria, but the problem is that cooking it won't destroy the waste products left behind by the bacteria which can also make you sick.

Trust your gut user and just chuck it.

We all know what cling-film is, doofus.

Okay that all makes perfect sense. Thanks for the advice. My £8 are now in the bin and the smell won't leave my nostrils.

Things went worse than expected but less bad than they could have gone (explosive diarrhea).

You're in no position to talk about butchering the English language m8.

The people who invent something are rarely the ones who perfect it.

>chuck it
heh, good one

I wouldn't eat it. It it smells bad, throw it away. Apologize to the spirit of the cow for your wasting it.

Nice autism. Just pat it dry, season to taste and fry or grill the fucker.