/Whisky/ General

Here, we will discuss whisky and why it is the best drink.
Here, we welcome
>brands
>flavors
>cocktails
>price
>drinking vessels
>bourbon vs scotch
>blended vs single malt
>whisky vs whiskey

Whisky info courtesy of your friendly neighborhood user: ghostbin.com/paste/nkr9v

This is not an Al/ck/oholic thread.

What are you drinking tonight, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

sfspiritscomp.com/results/browse
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Someone should fix the whisky info document part about rye. Rye whisky requires 51% rye content, not 90%. Also, if I am not mistaken, using 100% rye requires additives during the fermentation process, which is why MGP and others only go up to 95%.

I love hanging out in generals that are relevant to my interests. feels like the old forum days to some extent. aside from the cobwebs of course.

I can't seem to find a whisky that I actually like.

Jack Daniel's tastes like shit.
Erza Brooks is so fucking sour.
Johnie Walker black is okay but sometimes too fucking smokey.

I liked some Japanese stuff but I can't get that anymore.

In order to download links from our forum you must register for an account and like said posts, then the URLs will be visible.

Try something like Balvenie 12 Doublewood or Glenmorangie Original.

also JW black is a tease with smoke. There's only wisps of it.

>MGP
Why is bourbon such a lie? Over Half of the brands are mass produced and sold as "craft"
Fuck High west

Jack Daniels and Johnnie walker are all but advertised as mixers.

Bulleit rye is a favorite of mine. I'd recommend Glenfiddich 12 as well:)

Most isn't, and, while I understand and agree with you for the large part, there is a difference in those brands that use some or even all MGP ingredients. A lot of booze are like that, too. It's not just bourbon, and not just in the US.

>Glenmorangie Original
my lad

I remember hearing that if a distillery produces less than 10,000 barrels a year, they're considered "craft" but there are no official rules or definitions so people will just slap that word on any bottle.

General threads are pretty much as close as you'll get for true discussion on any topic. Im glad Veeky Forums doesn't have as much shitposting as other boards do.

Also, going out tomorrow for a fresh bottle before thanksgiving. What do you guys recommend? I'd love to try scotch, I've only ever had bourbon (and love it)

really why aren't we just using this site sfspiritscomp.com/results/browse

Elijah Gray is a recent whiskey I've enjoyed.

Goddammit. I meant Elijah Craig. My apologies.

It is unopened.

Give me more like this please.

why is there a girl from ps1-era FMV looking at that bottle?

A strange old middle eastern man at the liqour store recommended me the Balvenie 12 after I told him I'm a bourbon drinker. I took his advice and I am not dissapointed.

sounds like the setup to a bluegrass story song

Anyone been drinking American single malt whiskeys? A lot of real craft distilleries are producing some fantastic whiskey, but most only distribute within their state or city. Westland and Copperworks here in Seattle are both making amazing whiskey.

I'm a fan of Defiant out of NC. 100% malted barley and a long time in the barrel make it taste like a lumberyard, which is something I really like.

Westland is great, I love their peated version.

I prefer Old Grandad as I like spicy rye whiskey, plus the price point can't be beat. For a sweeter, lighter bourbon I get 4 Roses. Again, this is driven by price points. On the lower end I also like Evan Williams and Jim Beam. They are all good places to start to hone down your taste preferences.

Could you expound your thoughts on Old Grandad?
I've only tried it a couple times, but it seemed a lot like Evan Williams (by that I mean I got nutty notes in addition to the vanilla, caramel, in similar proportions) with a touch more spice. Maybe the spice wasn't as pronounced since I was coming from rye whiskey, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

So I looked up the actual mash bill for the two and came up with this.

Old Grandad :63% CORN, 27% RYE, 10% MALTED BARLEY

Evan Williams : 78% CORN, 10% RYE, 12% MALTED BARLEY, BARREL CHAR #3 OR #4

So I guess you're pretty much right saying that they both have similar characteristics, and that Grandad isn't nearly as spicy as a straight rye whiskey.

I thought that Grandad would have a higher rye bill than that but it looks like I've been mistaken. TIME TO DO SOME MORE HOMEWORK!

Anyone else try Wooden Reserve double Oak?

Because SFSC is all bought as is every international competition.
Why do you think Boss Hog won 1st prize, because of its quality? Lol no
Actually yeah that's true. Meant to say all listed are or should be 90%+ rye to my knowledge.

Ran out of Blanton's and now I'm sad. Unsure of what I might like as much as it, so I just picked up some Woodford Reserve instead.

Virginia Distillery has an excellent highland whisky. The next batch is going to be all Virginia malt, the current one is mostly imported.

I'm pretty sure all the ones listed are 90-100%
It might be worth noting that Rittenhouse, a fairly common recommendation, is only 51%.

Interesting, thanks for digging that up. When I'm back from travelling I'll try to taste them side-by-side sometime and try to go deeper than just flavor profiles.

Huh surprising, I just checked and Pikesville is also 51%. Very sad stuff.

Those are both overpriced bourbons, should've gotten a Weller

I really enjoy bourbon, it's become my go-to drink lately. I want to try getting into scotch too. What's a good scotch to start with for a bourbon drinker?

Hey, that's MY shelf

it's all our shelf now, bitch

I guess they might use the same mash bill since they are both Heaven Hill. I wouldn't say that it is necessarily sad, just because it makes more flavors possible.

>Nikka Whiskey
>Wake up with no father or bicycle

So recently for my birthday a relative got me a bottle of Buffalo Trace. I absolutely loved it the first night I was drinking it, but since then it just tastes like I'm drinking liquid habanero peppers. In fact almost all Whiskey now tastes nothing but pure spiciness. I seem to have honestly lost taste for everything liquor related except for fucking hard ciders which I really don't feel like getting laughed at for ordering

Should I just kill myself now?

Maybe because you drink spiked apple juice so often you don't realize how sweet buffalo trace is. Check out what foods you have been eating, or give it a try at some other time during the day.

Ok probably a dumb question from a liquor newbie

So I want to make highballs because I hear they’re really popular in Japan and that they use yellow label Kakubin. But I’ve heard Kaku highball is described as sweet being mixed with just “soda”. I figured it might have been club soda used but that wouldn’t make it sweet right? Really just wondering what kind of mixer to use, rather not use Coke because I want to taste the whiskey too

What's your go-to 'basic' Scotch whiskey?

A friend of mine is visiting Canada from the UK and asked me if I wanted some whiskey.

What (reasonably priced) whiskey should I ask him to bring that can't be found here in Canada?

if he can find some, lot 40 cs

Somebody gimme the redpill on famous Grouse, please?

Glenfiddich.

It's a lovely shelf desu.
Have a drink, on us. Know you have graced us with an OP-worthy pic.

Ginger ale is perfect for mixing

Purchased at a convenience store.
It is about 1200 yen -1600 yen.

twelve bux japanese whiskey? must be some nasty swill at that price

I didn’t realize Glenfiddich made a blended product. What is it called?

Also, between Dewar’s White, J&B and JW Red, I prefer Dewar’s.

Wild turkey 101
Buffalo trace
Bulleit
Put a small amount in a large glass let it breath sip it slow

I've really taken a liking to Glendalough double barrel. Though it's whiskey, not whisky, in case anyone actually cares about the difference.

Try Glenmorangie Original (10yo). It's clean and fairly sweet. I'm not the biggest fan myself, but it's easy to drink and even people who don't drink whisky tend to like it. Monkey Shoulder is a blended malt that's also a very safe choice. And like I said I've really come to like Glendalough double barrel recently.

I feel I shouldn't be laughing at this.

I agree on that.

Link is broke, did anyone save it?

Oh and if you're looking for a Jack that's a little less boring, try Jack Tennessee Fire. It's got a spicy cinnamon aftertaste which is quite nice in my opinion, preferable to just the wood and smoke.

Just tried Speyburn 10, not impressed. I don't mind cheaper stuff, there's a lot of things in that price range I rather like but I'm not seeing what all the fuss and awards were for with that.

Taking my first sips of this. Fruity, richer and sweeter when compared to my usual Dewar's White.

I have a lemon. What whiskey cocktail should I make with it?

tried the weller 107 it's really good if you can get your hands on it. people found out it has the same mash bill as pappys so it's getting harder and harder to find. In my home state of OR botttles of regualar weller are pretty common but weller 107 are rare and weller 12 are poached by out of staters who flip them for massive profit. A bottle of 107 in OR is worth 26$ online it's 80$ so the local liquor store owner puts sighns up whenever he gets a shipments of weller 12 (the really rare one) saying he dosin't have any becouse people can see on the state run liqour site who's getting what, so he can only sell to just locals he trusts. I find the whole thing very funny (also i'm on that list)

the world of weated bourbon is a silly one.

If you want a scotch that is "close" to bourbon and not to pricey, Monkey Shoulder. It's not too pricey either, so that's probably a good one to start with.
If you want a peated, smoke-heavy whisky, look for any scotch from Islay (Laphroaig, Bruichladdich, Lagavulin, etc.).

What whisky or other ingredients do you have? With just a lemon (and regular household stuff) I'd suggest a Whisky Sour or Boston Sour.

My growing collection.

Also have a St George Breaking & Entering Bourbon, and an Evan Williams 23.

On this Thanksgiving i will most likely just flask one of the cheap bourbons for the inevitable discussion of politics at my grandmothers house.

Sorry for shitty pic.

Evan Williams 1783 has been my go-to value whiskey for years now. Really unless I'm out for peaty scotch I see no reason to drink any other whiskey.

>bunna 12
honestly i think the 18 is better but bunna is a ripoff in the US so i dont blame you

had some bulleit bourbon aged 10 years was nice

If you're going for rye, why not take Old Overholt over Old Grandad?

Old Overholt might be the best whiskey bargain I've seen when it comes to making mixed drinks as well.

What is the JD Rye like? It is expensive as fuck in the UK comparatively, so not tried it yet

I bought a bottle of Hibiki Japanese Harmony for my best friend for xmas, I hope he'll like it

Shit cost 80€ for 0.7L, fucking hell

A fan of Teacher's I see. I've found it really good for scotch and soda. Also dirt cheap which is a plus.

a challenger appears

fuck why are they always sideways?
anyway: cheers

Not whiskey, but I just ordered one of these to gift my dad for christmas.
I hope it's decent.

bumpin for general drunkeness

>General

I ordered a bottle of this one from a big store online, should arrive in a few days. What do you think of it?

it's ok, not really special though

I've been wanting to try it. When you receive it let us know how it is in a whiskey thread.

What does Veeky Forums use for chasers on cheap whisky/bourbon?

>needing a chaser for your cheap whiskey
do you even alcoholism user

If I try a whisky bad enough that I would want a chaser then I just use it for cooking thereafter.

For the New Year's Day, I bought whiskey and marc.

This is why no one cares about Child Chan.

Bourbon on the rocks is great, why the fuck didn't I try this before?

I'm going to stop stealing coke cans from work.

Thoughts on Hibiki Toki?
I can get it for 30 burgerbucks, thinking of getting it since not much Nip stuff seems to turn up around here at a decent price.

Cognac > Whiskey

you can't fite me

I like cognac, but it doesn't have the flavour variety of whisky.

I'd take the Cognac arrondissement over Bourbon county.

I always thought johnny walker labels were a meme until I tried double black
once you go black...

How's the Blenders' Batch?

once you open a bottle of whisky, does it get "stale" the same way opening any other kind of food or drink does?

I know whisky ages, but that's in a barrel or an unopened bottle. Surely you can't keep "ageing" whisky after it's opened. So once you open a bottle, how quickly should you drink it? In a month? In a year?

How empty the bottle is tends to effect how quickly the air changes it. If you want it to keep longer it's a good idea to store it in smaller bottles so there's less air trapped in with it.

I hadn't the opportunity to try it

The old bottle had the plug deteriorated.

not cool.

Lidl's Glen Orchy has been replaced, the name is the same but the blend is different, now it also has caramel for color (at least in Italy)
it's worse than before, damn shame since the old one was p good, do not buy
it seems they also changed the blend in their lower price Queen Margot but I'm afraid it will be shit so I didn't try it yet

Bought this for my brother for Christmas. Think he'll like it? I hope he lets me try some