Sides

Please give me a simple, good, original side I can make for Thursday

Mash potatoes

Oh shit you want something original too, uhh make sausage gravy

taters with sausage gravy? Like the gravy you put on biscuits?

You don't have to make it with potatoes. It goes good on anything tbqh, also you could just make some store biscuits with it.

Quinoa

Thanks dudes

kale salad with pomegranate seeds and lemon tahini vinaigrette

cheeto salad

hell yeah

>put bellpeppers on tray in oven until skin blackens, turn a few times
>put them in a paper bag so the skin steams off
>peel the skin & deseed
>slice
>marinade in olive oil, parsley/ basil, little bit vinegar, 1 clove minced garlic, salt, pepper,
>cover and refrigerate for atleast a few hours (overnight best)

>wash, trim ends off spinach, blanch in boiling water for 30 seconds
>pour cold water over in colander until cool
>squeeze out all water with your hands
>chop
>mix with 1/2 tsp sesame oil 1/2 tsp vinegar (rice wine best), 1 clove minced garlic, little salt & sesame seeds (roasted best)
>cover and refrigerate

>mandolin/ slice thinly cucumber or carrots (or both, but seperate)
>put in bowls or jars, add a chilli sliced in half to the vegetables, maybe a bay leaf
>boil 1 cup water, 1 cup vinegar, 2 Tbsp sugar and 1 Tbsp salt
>cover vegetables with the boiled liquid
>cool
>rest in fridge for atleast 1 hour and up to 2 weeks

Nice counterpoints to rich meat and you can make them ahead of time

soy turkey

nice n fresh thank you

no one ever brings something green and refreshing to thanksgiving or potlucks in general, so this is my go-to. it's got minimal ingredients, it transports easily, doesn't need to be chilled or baked, and is vegetarian/vegan/gluten-free friendly.

This actually sounds pretty good. If I didn't already have my menu planned out and all the food bought, I would make something like this on Thursday.

I made something kind of similar once for a christmas dinner. It was a salad with arugula, pomegranate seeds, toasted pecans and crumbled goat cheese with a citrus balsamic vinaigrette.

that sounds delicious! i'm gonna serve my kale salad with the mentioned ingredients and some toasted almonds, with some fresh shaved parm on the side for those who want it.

>>marinade in olive oil, parsley/ basil, little bit vinegar, 1 clove minced garlic, salt, pepper,
& lemon juice*

Do root vegetable mash.
Potatoes, rutabaga, carrot, and turnip, cooked till soft and mashed with butter, salt and pepper, and caramelized onions, topped with parmesan cheese. The only bugaboo is that the carrots and rutabaga take longer to cook than the potatoes and turnip, but it's not that big of a deal.

I always make a kale and arugula salad with feta, blackberries, candied walnuts, and orange champagne vinaigrette. People go freaking nuts over it. Pomegranate seeds would be a welcome addition.

your salad sounds delicious.
the pomegranate seeds add a nice pop of color and flavor to the salad i make. i also forgot to mention i add some thinly sliced red onions and fennel, when i have it

More of an appetizer but still.

is...is this from a junior league cookbook

>Winn Dixie

You from NC? That looks like every old church lady cookbook my grandmother collected.

yeah, that's my thought as well. i'm from NC and that binding and print SCREAMS of an NC junior league cookbook, especially with the winn dixie thrown in

Nah, it’s an old church cookbook my mom has.

Spot fucking on sir.

Nice to know I’m among fellow statesmen.

This shit right here is fucking great. We make a small dish of it every year for my family's thanksgiving, it always comes out amazing. Add extra garlic.

Oh god, you moral high ground faggot.
The one day we glorify overeating, and you bring a kale salad? Kill yourself.

I'm confused, just don't eat salad if you don't want it.

>he confuses stuffing oneself with carbs, fats, and protein with hedonistic overeating
Your goal is not to physically fill yourself, that is but a side effect. It’s all about experiencing those wondrous flavors. A properly made kale salad is absolutely delicious, and deserves to be savored just as much as mashed potatoes or a well roasted turkey.

Its more about you being smug and annoying faggot who thinks they are cool for "bucking the trend" and bringing memeworthy health food to a thanksgiving dinner. Nice excuses, but 90% of the people will roll their eyes and say "really?"

You sound very upset at someone else's kale salad. What did a kale salad do to you user?

>90% of the people will roll their eyes and say "really?" [at the suggestion of a kale salad with pomegranate seeds and lemon tahini vinaigrette]
I'm not even American and I did exactly than when I saw that suggestion above. And I love kale and salads and tahini, but unless you're making kale-and-onion mashed potato (IE boerenkool stamppot) or stewing it with smoked meat of some kind like turkey drums or chopped bacon, kale has no place on the Thanksgiving table, IMO. Of course, not being from the US originally, I may be stereotyping Thanksgiving meals and conflating them with American southern cookery and, therefore, my opinion may be off. But considering that that salad sounds like a summer thing v a winter one, I'm gonna stick to my guns, roll my eyes and say "really?"

Blue mashed potato, I think, would go over well. I dreamt it up one day when making the red cabbage version of stamppot then remembering that the cabbage turns blue in presence of bicarb.

Set a pot of water to boil then add your favourite variety of mashing potato; meanwhile, thinly chop 150ish g. (third lb) of red cabbage and simmer it in 1 cup milk spiked with a bit of bicarb until the cabbage has softened and the milk has gone blue (you can also grate the cabbage if you prefer finer texture); meanwhile again, saute 150ish g of thinly sliced onion in 50ish g (about 2oz) of butter.
When both the cabbage and onion are done, set aside and check the potato for doneness; when done, drain potatoes and mash them up with the onion/butter mixture.
Whip the mash with the cabbage/milk mixture (you can blitz the milk smooth if you prefer finer texture) and salt the mash to taste.

It's both traditional (mashed potato) and different/original (cuz it's fucking blue), not to mention a complete piece of piss to make. Highly recommend.

Or you could just mash potatoes of a blue or purple variety.

You guys sound autistic as shit, just don't eat the salad if you don't want it. What, are you forced to take a bit of every dish?

Greens like kale are used in Southern food though. Granted collards and turnip greens are more common, kale is occasionally prepared the same way.

I'm not saying kale salad isn't good or healthy, its just the fact that your bringing it to a Thanksgiving dinner sends a strong message that you are a smug self-righteous bitch who thinks they are above everyone else. Hey everyone, look at me! I'm eating salad on Thanksgiving! Post links to your social media so I can verify your true purpose with this, which most surely is to brag about your health conscious diet when everyone else is eating meat and potatoes. I guarantee its going to be a "look at me" post, faking being healthy when everyone else is eating tasty shit.

In my area ham stuffed with kale is a tradition on thanksgiving because of shore trash. It's super bitter and terrible.

I'm not even the guy making a salad and I'm a fatso. I just think you'd have to be a special kind of retarded to get upset at a side dish that someone brings to Thanksgiving.

As I said: I like kale. I just don't think of kale salad with pomegranates and lemon tahini dressing as very Thanksgiving-y.

Doing it with the red cabbage comes out a different shade of blue, like robin's egg blue or smurf blue. It's a really striking and uncommon shade.

>in southern cooking, kale is cooked like collards
Right. Which is why I said that "unless it's stewed with smoked meat" bit, which is how collards are cooked downsouff.

Wow, if you think kale is bitter, never EVER try Dutch endive, which is the most common veg used in stamppot. That shit is more bitter than Hilary voters on November 9th last year.

Yes user let's just eat nothing but meat, empty carbs, and a shit ton of fat.

This is, of course, what good meals are all about.

Calm down dude just because Trump is gonna get removed doesn't mean it's the end of the world

Is the consumption of salad really that good of a basis for political grandstanding anyway?