I want to explore the Japanese kitchen

I want to explore the Japanese kitchen.
What is a good place to start?
Are there any crash courses on the Japanese kitchen?

I want to eat less meat, and the japanese kitchen seems to have what I need.

you got 6 types of fish, squid, shrimp and even urchin roe on that plate. is this an
>image unfagmiliar
or what?

omurice

Here's your crash course:

Step 1. Rice

Step 2. If it isn't rice, it's an accessory to or a topping for rice

Step 3. Crank your portion sizes way down if you're used to American plating

Why do you keep saying "the Japanese kitchen" you faggot?

because i'm a faggot

Good.

Say "Japanese kitchen" again

Japanese kitchen

What's the white one on the left and the green on on the right?

squid and grass

Open the door, I'm here.

Solid advice. It's very tasty and easy to make.

You'll want to stock up on
>rice
>ginger
>mirin
>sake
>soy sauce (light and dark)
>rice vinegar
>miso pastes
>konbu/katsuoboshi/dashi stock

Those are all extremely common base items to use and expand off of. Also, be ready for a little bit of a let down - a lot of Japanese food is actually kind of boring, and is much less exciting than you may have been led to think.

Do you live in Japan or any place with exceptionally high Japanese population?
If not, be ready to not get any authentic ingredients or pay a lot for them.

Getting your hands on the regular japanese aromatics is a pain in the ass though.

just use the 5 S's of Japanese cooking.
Sato Shio oSu Se(Soy sauce) miSo.

Or just add dashi and soy sauce to everything and bam. Japanese cooking has a large variety but after a while you realise it's all pretty bland. They literally just put dashi or soy sauce in everything and call it a day.

>5 S's
>Two of them aren't S's

>konbu/katsuoboshi/dashi stock
this
Being in a college town with a sizable population of Chinese and Korean, there are many Japanese ingredients that just aren't sold in the asian markets.

I don't, I live in Belgium.
Went to a Thai Food Shop yesterday, they had a Japanese shelf, got me some things off of this list and made miso-soup

Visiting my local supermarket today, maybe tomorrow. They're supposed to have an 'exotic' aisle.

I can get Turkish food with ease though.

Also, japanese kitchen

Yea but that's just the way it is.

Get on Amazon or Rakuten (it's like a Japanese Amazon) and order what you can't get. Even in the most buttfuck of small country towns you can get sake, soy sauce and miso so you're most of the way there. It might be hard to get Mirin, Konbu and Dashi but that's about it. Often they have that shit in Asian groceries but you need to be able to read moonspeak to know what to look for.