Home dried squid

I recently came into 37lbs of whole squid and I love dried squid as a snack dipped in goljujang (hot korean bean paste) but it's expensive so I decided to try my hand at making it.

I removed the guts, soaked the bodies in salt water for 15 minutes and let the water drain off then separated the legs and hung them in my smoker. I applied smoke for 1 hour and now I'm letting them dry @ 130F.

Thoughts?

Where did you get 37lbs of whole squid? Also, do you live in Korea?

Looks good as fuck man

I've never had dried squid. is it like a fishy beef jerky.
also is goljujang like refried beans
I like deep fried squid, I'd be interested in tasting some oneday

Use if for fish or crab bait

I sundry squid. Exceptional. Try it with eel, too, op. Fantastic flavor.

Someone I know got a case of it and gave it to me because they didn't know what to do with it. No, I'm in the states but I
spent a good deal of time in Korea and have a Korean wife.

Thanks, I hope it tastes as good as it looks and smells.

I guess you could say it's like a squid flavored jerky. It goes great as a snack with beer. I think squid has a unique enough flavor that I wouldn't call it fishy. Goljujang is a fermented, slightly acidic spicy hot bean paste.

I don't eat squid anymore but that sound pretty damn good OP.

>Americans

I thought about sun drying but this time of year my yard doesn't get much sun so I decided to try this. I think it will be interesting to see how that light application of smoke effects it too.

I pulled off a few of the wings that were done and sampled them. I'm really pleased. That 1 hour smoke gave them an almost sweet flavor like you get from a shredded dried octopus. This is definitely something I'll be doing more of in the future even if I have to buy the squid myself.

Great jsutice

>goljujang

>goljujang

I was legitimately curious so I googled it, and the only instance of anyone calling it goljujang is this thread and a few Yelp reviews for Korean restaurants.
Is this some weird obscure spelling variation of the word gochujang or what?

>Is this some weird obscure spelling variation of the word gochujang or what?

Yes. When you hear koreans pronounce it enough times you realize it sounds more like the way I wrote it than "gochujang." Now go buy a small container of it from an asian market and you'll probably love it.

Ahh, so it's just idiots mishearing things. Got it.

Which dialect, buddy? My entire extended family pronounces it with a clear "gotchu jjang," from Jeolla (mother) to pyeongyang (my father's side).

But I guess it could be a more slurry/lazy "goljujang" in some areas.

Yeah it probably comes from some very weird farm in the country accent.

There are no l/r sounds in the first syllable of that word

Romanization of korean is really hit-and-miss, it has a lot of consonant combinations that aren't really present in the alphabet so spellings vary a lot.

Doesn't change the fact that no one pronounces it with an L sound, least no one I've ever heard. It's a very clear go-chew-jahng type sound.

I assume the "lj" in his spelling makes a rounded j/ch sound. I doubt it's a hard L.

Fuck you so much, i could kill a man for that.

>could kill a man for that.

Well, you're not alone in that sentiment. I suspect tbe guy that gave it to me probably did.

>Goljujang
You mean Gochujang you 병신

Yeah this guy is just retarded. Its not like Hangul is perfectly clear on how to pronounce everything with clearly dilleniated rules.

I do like the idea of making dried squid, but op seems like the english teachers I hated in Korea.

한국에 살고 있을때 이런 영어 선생님을 아주 싫어해요. 우리 도시에 나밖에 100% 외국인 영어 선생님이애요. 나만 학생이애요.

Thanks for the opportunity to practice my writing again. I was like TOPIK 3 or 4, and now I've regressed into 1.