breadexperience.com/sing-to-me-my-bread-crackle-sweetly-in/
amazon.com/dp/B01GM4UZJI/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Let's see her insides.

Give us that crumb shot

Nah it sucks on the inside

How do i make my own bread

I followed this recipe: youtube.com/watch?v=I0t8ZAhb8lQ

It was my first time, super simple, tasted great. give it a shot!

We'll be nice. The outside looks perfect. Show us the crumb.

Damn that looks really simple ill have to try this. Thanks user

Cut open that fucking loaf and show us the insides, faggot. Nobody's gonna be a dick. You said it's your first time.

It looks alright user

It got smushed when I was cutting because I dont have a breadknife

vaginal yeast

looks good

It looks fine, bitch-boy. That's a pretty good first try. I'll have to try this one out myself.

alright but pretend I don't have any access at all to that

Nice. Where's the butter?

Looks tasty OP. The crust looks really good.

I made beer bread for the first time yesterday.

how do make baguette?

I'm looking but I've been on the internet so long that I need to see a baguette or two in the photo to get off.

>high life
you fucking savage
howd it turn out?

It turned out delicious. I was surprised, I'm not a fan of Miller high life. I made a second batch to bring to Thanksgiving dinner that used the rest of the high Life and a bit of IPA (Fall River Hexagenia). I bet it'll taste even better.

I've wanted to do the original/overnight version of this for a while. Convinced me to try it.

youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU

I have a rye starter that triples in size that I made myself.
Now what? I've never actually made sourdough before.

Looks really tasty!

*looks*

Outstanding job !

Looks good OP. I made some gruyere cheese rolls today to bring over to the family's house for thanksgiving.

You might be surprised. I've made a lot of beer bread, and it's actually best when you use shitty pilsners. It's really just being used as the leavening agent. If you want flavor, add bacon jalapeno, and cheddar to it.

Mm, sounds good. Maybe I'll up my game next time!

M O I S T

my dick

Looks good OP. Bet that crust is good too. It's burst open, which is something that's avoided by proper proofing and scoring, but I honestly wouldn't give a damn. That flakey shit. Is pleasant to me. Wish my first loaf looked that tasty.

I'll have to try that no-knead recipe for days when my hands aren't working so well.

Also, as for cutting, a bread knife does make it easier, but I have a few tips for you.

1. If you don't wait for it to cool enough, it will gum up in the middle and also flatten when you cut it. I know hot bread smells amazing though. It's hard to resist.

2. Try turning the bread on its side to cut it instead of going from the top or the bottom.

3. Any serrated knife can give you a decent cut. The basic principle is, if it's serrated, then it doesn't matter how light or how hard you push down, as long as you are moving the knife back and forth, it will cut the bread. So don't push down like you're chopping veggies. Just move the knife back and forth, and it will saw through without smushing the bread.

good luck op good job making your bread and thanks for showing us

hand over the recipe

That doesn't look bad user, it's good for your first time.

Hey OP! You did a pretty good job for a first loaf. This is the first recipe I ever used to make bread, too. I’d recommend you check out more no-knead breads, like the Mark Bittman No-Knead bread!

Former pro-baker turned current hobbyist bread-baker here. This just came out of the oven. It's a simple sourdough, 65ish % hydration with ~250g total flour (including the bit used for dusting my bench).
I'll show y'all a crumb shot later as it needs to cool still.

>former pro baker
I've thought about pursuing baking as a career. Is the pay worth it? Should I go to college for it. or learn on the job? Tell me moar.

Tried using a small loaf pan for some sandwich sourdough, 70% hydration. Crust is pretty damn hard, so I'm afraid I left it in too long or overdid it with the stream. Inclined to say the former cause I did a dutch oven boule at the same time - about 20min covered, 30 uncovered. Rate?

not him but i hope you like mornings

Looks good, did you pinch it? This is important.

Holy moly

>unlike some people I know

fuckin women man

makes me wonder why bread is so expensive

You're too hard on your self. It looks good for a first try. Would eat/10

I'm I was a bread baker, not a 'pastry chef' so school wasn't necessary as it's just manual labour.
Depending on what you're willing to put up with at what price, it can be worth it, yes. For one, many bread bakeries start their day at ungodly hours and, as a result, offer higher pay than other unskilled jobs do. If you live in a country without universal healthcare, make sure the bakery offers good insurance and make sure white lung is covered in the policy. White lung is a disease bakers, especially bread bakers, can get. Look it up for more information.
If you have no work skills but enjoy working relatively unsupervised, you like working hours others would consider horrible (and/or you don't need much sleep; the hours can make having a social life a tad difficult if you need your 8 hours nightly) and you love the smell of freshly baked bread, it might be a good fit. Otherwise, don't.

The lowest price I can fathom a bakery selling a loaf of hand-made bread is $2.13US which would likely get fixed to around $2.49 per loaf. That seems reasonable. If people are selling loaves much higher than that, that's their right to do, but they can sell for as little as $2.49 per loaf and still make a decent living. Bakers needa eat, too.

Alex?

Made my own loaf using the video op linked. Idk how it came out. Still cooling down. I'm 99% sure I fucked it up somehow.

nice! show us the crumbshot

Are those pubes?

Looks nice, but it's oddly yellow-ish

Thanks, I think it might be the lighting and messenger compression. This is just a raw photo.

looks fucking good, i don't think you fucked it up at all. you got good oven spring -- and nice job scoring the loaf.

Did you find your inside to be sort of wet and gummy?

It was a bit moist and heavy, but I think that was due to it being a bit warm still. But don't take my word for its texture as intended.
I just sort of winged it when it didn't seem to be going well. I mixed up the ingredients, let it sit. It didn't rise after the intended 3+ hours.
So I put down some flower and kneaded it until it became a smooth dough adding a little flour along the way. It seemed to be rising after that and I let it go all night long. It had bubbled up to the size of the bowl and I thought about just tossing it. But I felt it and it felt like a proper texture and deflated nicely. So I thought fuck it and heated the oven. Formed the dough and put it in to bake 30 covered, 15 uncovered.

Overall tasted fine, but yeah, a bit chewy.

how can I make a more open crumb like this? I've made bread a few times so far and just started my sourdough starter, but both the non-sourdough loaves I made looked decent on the outside but I couldn't stand how dense they were. The second loaf I even made a sponge starter, which supposedly helps with this, but still didn't turn out how I wanted. Do I need to let the dough rise more? pic related

u fucking loser

>as little as $2.49 per loaf
I pay probably $5 or $6 per loaf once a week right now, but I also get "artisan" bread that looks like the pictures in Tartine (and occasionally actually from Tartine Bakery), not sure if that's what you're talking about when you say $2.49. I'm working on learning to do it myself right now, though, partially just so I feel less bad about buying 2 loaves a week and only eating half (cause really, I don't need 2 entire loaves of bread a week, but two-day old bread is borderline inedible and I obviously enjoy it the most on the first day), and partially because I fucking love bread and I want to make every kind there is and I want to share bread with friends and I want to mix different flours and understand what different combinations will do and try my own and fuck, I love bread.

But sadly, this is the best I've made so far :(

If you love it so much, why don't you marry it?

PIZZABULLE

the state of california will allow many types of marriage, but marriage to bread is unfortunately still somewhere we are not quite as progressive

while you're waiting for your starter to be ready, try doing a long and slow fermentation:

500g bread flour
390g water
11g sea salt
.5g yeast (1/6 tsp)

Mix flour and water, let sit for 20-30 minutes.
Sprinkle on salt and yeast and incorporate using the pincher method.
Let rise at room temp for 12-14 hours until slightly more than doubled. If you feel like it, do some "stretch and folds" every 30 minutes for the first 3 hours.
Generously flour a banneton basket (or lightly grease a large bowl).
Gently scrape dough onto a well-floured surface. Stretch dough and fold over in quarters until a semi-tight ball forms. Place in banneton/bowl, seam-side down.
Let rise an additional 1-1.5 hours until doubled.
Preheat oven and dutch oven to 450F, add dough to dutch oven, score, cover and bake covered for 30 min, uncover and bake additional 12-20 min.

Does anyone have any tips on making poolish? I usually just do simple fast-acting yeast for my sandwich loaves, but I'm going to try a poolish this time. From what I've read I was going to do:

200g flour
200g water
.5 g yeast
Leave at room temp in a greased, covered bowl overnight. Add to the rest of the ingredients and proceed as normal.

Seems pretty simple.

yep, do exactly that! i've made this recipe before (i split the dough in half before shaping, for two mini-loaves)
breadexperience.com/sing-to-me-my-bread-crackle-sweetly-in/

are... are you saying I not only can but /should/ let the dough rise for 12-14 hours? You just made my day, since this actually makes it feasible to make bread during the week -- I could either make the dough in the evening when I get home and bake in the morning, or make the dough in the morning and bake in the evening. This is incredible.
>using the pincher method
could you elaborate on this? I googled it and got some results but some of them seem like they might be for something else and I want to make sure I understand what you're saying

Also, related to your picture, how do you get that cool flour effect, like it's stuck on to the outside of the bread? Do you sprinkle dry flour onto the dough just before putting in the oven or something?

oh user, welcome to a wonderful new world of breads that take 2-3 days to make, but are totally worth it. i tend to bake on the weekends, mainly, but my general schedule that i start the dough on friday night (well, i feed my starter friday night), and then by sunday afternoon i'm baking.

the pincher method is basically this:
you've got your water and flour mixed and resting (this is called "autolyse," and is an important step, especially when using fresh whole wheat flours). after a while (at least 20 minutes, but up to several hours), you kinda flatten it out in the bowl it's been sitting in and sprinkle the yeast and salt on. you can add a few tbsp of water as well to help incorporate the yeast and salt.

you fold some of the dough over and then use your thumb and forefinger like they were scissors, pinching and cutting through the dough. do that a few times, fold the dough over, do it again. repeat for a few minutes, until everything is all mixed in.

as far as the flour pattern goes, that's all due to my proofing in a banneton/brotform basket that has been heavily dusted with AP and rice flours. these are bakers baskets (you can get 'em online or at most good cooking stores) that are made usually out of whicker. the benefits of using them are threefold:
1) you get that pretty spiral pattern, if you want it. (if you don't want it, you just brush the excess flour off of the turned out dough)
2) the whicker helps whisk away a little bit of the moisture from the surface of the dough, which can help compensate for poor shaping/not getting enough of a strong gluten sheath
3) structure! your dough proofs in a nice round or oblong basket and is less likely to pool out when you turn it out, especially if you've retarded the final proof in the fridge.

P.S. if you own a dutch oven with a lid that can go up to 475/500F you should absolutely bake in it. trust me on this, baking with the lid on for the first part creates steam so you don't have to worry about trays of ice and shit

Please invest in a bread knife they are $5 at walmart.

looks like the burnt bread brigade is here...

looks good!

If this is your first time you have some real talent. Keep up the good work OP

Thanks for all the help! I'm definitely going to try making the one here as soon as I get a chance, hopefully can start tomorrow morning.
>banneton/brotform basket
Ah, okay, that's awesome, I'm sold. Does this one look like a good one to buy? amazon.com/dp/B01GM4UZJI/
Also, do you have a recommendation on one of those metal tools that bakers use for scoring? I'm just using a paring knife at the moment but I assume that the actual tool will be slightly better.
I've got a cast iron dutch oven without enamel, I season with olive oil which starts to burn at a bit over 400 but the iron itself should be fine. Any issue using that?

>americans don't have bakeries, so they have to bake bread inside pots

You can't make this shit up. Fucking americans.

>americans don't have bakeries
what the fuck are you talking about?

lmaoing at amerifats and their bizarro supermarket "bread"

...I buy bread at the grocery store... which was baked in the bakery... at the grocery store. Just because we don't see the need to stop at 10 different places to get our produce, meats, cheeses, wine, baked goods, and pasta doesn't mean that we don't have literally the exact same thing except all in one place.

lots of grocery stores, actually, including mine offer bread baked at dedicated bakeries that is brought to the store every morning so that we don't have to make two stops.

Do want recipe.

r8 my dinner rolls from turkey day. Took one tablespoon of butter from the recipe and melted it in a pan with fresh rosemary, thyme and garlic and added it to the dough. Topped with the same plus parsley.

that banneton is perfect! be sure to invest in some rice flour and use a 50/50 blend of AP and rice flour to dust the basket before you put your dough in.

the DO should be fine -- you could always skip the olive oil and put down a layer of cornmeal to help prevent sticking, if you don't have an oil with a higher smoke point.

Sweet, ordered it.
What's the difference between bread flour and all-purpose? When is one used over the other?
I could go and get another oil, I just only ever use olive oil when cooking so that's all I have around for that. I'll look into something with a higher smoke point, though.