Can we have an honest discussion about making stuffing in the bird vs a dish? what do Veeky Forums do personally...

Can we have an honest discussion about making stuffing in the bird vs a dish? what do Veeky Forums do personally. I make it in a dish and add sausage to my stuffing.

I do both

stuffing in bird objectively lowers quality of turkey, could give less of a fuck if the juices make the insignificant amount of stuffing taste better

unless you're expecting 2-3 people exclusively to be eating the stuffing, you're obligated to do a full dish of it

people who think it's fancy to stuff the bird are people who do not eat fancy food, fancy meaning cooked properly to these people

stuffing is shit, anyone who actually enjoys its opinion is irrelevant anyways, so whether you have a preference either way you're wrong as the only proper preference is to not have it in the first place

I bet you enjoy cranberry sauce

>nofun.jpeg

What does it do exactly to ruin the turkey, I was always told it does but never understood why.

>bread stuffing
fucking gross.

Wild rice and mushroom stuffing, cooked outside of the carcass- to make a carcass stuffing reach acceptable temperature, you have to burn the bird.

If you make it in the dish, you have to do things a lot different than most recipes say IMO or you end up with bland crap. They don't put enough herbs and spices in most recipes.

I double the amount of sage and thyme ( fresh of course ) and add in a bunch of oregano and parsley as well ( like 1/2c fresh parsely ). Also, make sure you get the celery leaves in as well, they have a lot of flavor.

Then you're going to cook either bacon or sausage and then sautee the herbs and veggies in the fat from this.

For the dry portion I like to use a mixture of toasted rye bread, crumbled biscuits and crumbled corn bread.

Finally, add LA style hot sauce to your liquid portion. You want just enough for a hint of spice at the back of the throat on tasting. I'm experimenting with adding some Worcestershire sauce as well, I'll let you know how that goes.

Of course Oyster stuffing is superior to regular stuffing, but my family is a bunch of uncultured savages who do not like Oyster dressing so I'll make do.

This. The best of both worlds is to use the turkey drippings and pour some over your stuffing and save some for your gravy
The dry bread acts like a giant sponge and sucks excess juice from the meat.

You just haven't had good stuffing user, it can be very good

You don't sautee the herbs and veggies in olive oil? Never thought about doing that do you think it's better? Also goodluck with that Worcestershire sauce I wouldn't go to hard that shit is strong as fuck.

Does your whole family eating wild rice and mushrooms on Thanksgiving

Yeah, every Thanksgiving.
It's also got walnuts.
Perfect with gravy.

>use the turkey drippings and pour some over your stuffing and save some for your gravy
and suddenly, every home cook gasped in revelation

Would doing a wet brine on a turkey make adding stuffing to it fine so that it doesn't lose moisture.

Are people not already making their gravies out of turkey drippings and starchy water from boiling the mashed potatoes?
If not, they should kill themselves.

Olive oil might not be bad but I think an animal fat would be better. Plus if you're putting sausage or bacon in, you might as well use that delicious fat left in the pan.

Yeah I'm gonna go light on it. I'm aiming for just a hint in the wet portion, it should hopefully disappear completely once soaked into the bread except for some added depth.

consider the fact most home cooks make stuffing by dicing white bread and roughly chopping celery and carrots, and then shove as much as possible up that turkeys ass

never had a single drop of liquid in the meat or the pan of any turkey my family has ever cooked, thus having to make the gravy from a packet or some kind of not-turkey-gravy. this is routine for many people.

i agree with your judgement for these individuals
hold no quarter for turkey stuffers

I tend to do stuffing separately from the turkey, mainly because I usually shove a bunch of aromatics inside the turkey while it roasts and the cavity inside the turkey never holds that much stuffing so I would always end up baking a pan of it in the oven anyway.

This year I actually de-boned the whole turkey and used the wings and carcass with a bunch of chicken wings and some ham hocks to make about two gallons of stock earlier today and I'll be able to use it tomorrow when I make the stuffing. I'll also be using the drippings from the turkey pan and some of the stock to make gravy. I kind of like this method now since I already have stock ready to use for the rest of the meal and don't need to wait until the next day to make it.

As for the stuffing, I'm going to make mine with sage sausage, toasted pecans, chopped apple and dried cherries, along with the stock and a few eggs.

I fucking love stuffing

I like dressing as opposed to stuffing the bird. To ensure you have complete cooked stuffing, you will usually overcook the bird.

For the kids I spoon stuffing into a muffin pan, making stuffin' muffins that are fun good for individual servings.

Oyster stuffing in the bird because im not a faggot OP happy thanksgiving Veeky Forums

Do they really do that? I'm glad my family has top notch cooks on both sides. I've never been served a bird that's been stuffing raped up the ass.

it is unfortunately very common

leaving the south is the best thing i ever did

I just make it in a dish and use turkey broth to give it turkey flavor.

Stuffing doesn't dry out the bird. heat does. Stuff keeps the bird moist by not allowing hot air to circulate inside the bird cavity (that would dry it out).

>being objectively wrong
>Being this contrarion
>Not stuffing your bird with freshly picked herbs and aromatics

Wow you sure showed me!
Oh, about being wrong.
NO U!

Only an idiot put stuffing inside the bird. It's either going to be undercooked or overcooked.

Stuffing shouldn't be anywhere near the bird. It should be butter soaked toast mixed with a mirepoix and seasoning.

mmm grandma's shitty overcooked bird and flavorless "dressing"

But they use corn bread in the south

My family has always done it inside the turkey and then whatever didn't fit just cook in a dish. People say that stuffing inside makes the turkey dry because you have to cook the turkey longer for the stuffing to reach the right temp. But as far back as I can remember our turkeys always come out juicy, but we have always used these huge heavy duty roasting pans with lids that are old as fuck and liberally rub herb butter under and all over the skin.

>Wild rice and mushroom stuffing
Do you have any idea how ludicrous this would sound if you brought it up to most families? Every family has two or three people who will not eat mushrooms at all.

Stuffing is my favorite side dish and I have always cooked my onions and celery with poultry seasoning and a stick of butter.

>My white family is full of poors who are also picky eaters

Literally every single cooking test by every reputable source has proven the opposite

Black, White, Latino: they all have people who hate mushrooms.

Maybe an Asian family I could see accepting it.

We call those people faggots and stop inviting them to holidays user.

>Every family has two or three people who will not eat mushrooms at all
murrica

Grandma used to make an amazing stuffing but never gave the recipe before she died.
walnuts
ground beef
hard boiled eggs
raisins
but I just can't get the spices right.

>Every family has two or three people who will not eat mushrooms at all.
They can cook their own food, fuck em.

No its just white people

I did that last year with some andouille and it came out great. Never tried it inside the turkey though.

[citation needed]

You fucking flyover casserole lovers need to burn in hell.

>Every family has two or three people who will not eat mushrooms at all.
>not beating your kids until they expand their palettes
boo!

Do blacks have a lot of mushroom dishes?
I can't think of any mushroomy soul food, but I can think of a lot of traditional euro dishes with mushrooms.
Latinos though, they'll eat some hardcore fucked up fungus like corn rot.

>I make it in a dish and add sausage to my stuffing.

Stove Top Cornbread Stuffing with Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage is the GOAT.

fpbp....and add bacon grease. Fuck you Im from Georgia.

Mah nigga, never thought about making the dripping gravy from startchy potate bolied water. Thanks.

I just had this idea today after making breakfast, I didn't realize people did it. I suggested we put it in the stuffing that's served separately, I bet it's going to be awesome.

>white people hate mushrooms
amerimutt detected
on a scale of snow monkey to giganigga how melanated are you

>The dry bread acts like a giant sponge and sucks excess juice from the meat.
Sounds like complete bullshit.

you gotta peel the potatoes for it not to become garbage dirt water, though.
Even well-scrubbed peels impart too much mineral taste and will fuck your gravy.

only faggots don't stuff

You're right of course only perfectly straight people enjoy shoving things up a birds ass and then eating it.

Awesome, I will do that. Thanks.

It's the bees knees user.

kys

But I bet those faggots will eat green bean casserole made with shit tier cream of mushroom soup.

I'm in the middle of sautéing 3 lbs. Of mushrooms for use in aeveral different dishes for our dinner later. (We always do Thanksgiving dinner in the early evening. I fucking hate lunchtime Thanksgiving, it's so simpleton.)

You cook like me. I find that people don't understand the value of good stock in your liquid mix, and people tend to under season food in general, then ask why it doesn't turn out well. You have bread. a bland ingredient used simply to add mass and texture to a flavor you're creating through herbs, meat fats, and your liquid ingredients. You NEED to pound the flavor in.

And people that don't love oyster stuffing have no concept of what flavor is. Most won't even fucking try it. Fucking worthless processed food swilling swine.

One thing I might add is you should always taste your raw stuffing to make sure you've nailed the spicing. Too many people blindly follow a recipe without realizing there's a wide variance in the quality of spices.

I'll agree to that. Everything that goes into my stuffing is cooked before assembly anyways. Except the oysters,and I know what they bring to the mix.

Keys to success:
1. Make it in a dish, and not in the turkey.
2. Make a turkey stock and use it to moisten your stuffing.
3. Use a ratio of 100% bread crumbs to 50% other stuff by volume.
4. Season and check seasoning before you add egg.
5. It's better to be a little too moist than too dry.

>1. Make it in a dish
flyovers giving culinary advice. Fucking fantastic.

Flyovers are literally the only people that still make stuffing in the bird. Its been researched to death that stuffing inside the bird is the worst of everything. Dries out the bird and you have to overcook the bird to keep the stuffing from being soaked in salmonella poison

Yeah, stick to your casserole, flyover. It's what you know best.

>it's an Ameriboo pretends to be an American while shitposting on Veeky Forums episode

it's called stuffing it can't be eaten if it's not stuffed inside something.

You stuff it in your mouth.

The stuffing also makes Bacteria inside the bird more likely to occur.

>sexualizing a dead bird
faggots are such mental cases

If you aren't deep frying your bird, you're wasting your time. And you wouldn't deep fry stuffing

Definitely this, it should taste awesome before it goes in the oven

Worcestershire turned out fine, btw. I put like four good dashes in all the stock, probably could have used a little more honestly.

>Make shit up

Stuffed for the first time. It fucked up the cooking times on the bird, and I had to carve it up and put it back in to finish the cooking. But because I brined it properly the quality didn't suffer too much. The stuffing itself was the best I've ever had.

You've never had a dish LITERALLY CALLED STUFFING served STUFFED inside a bird?

link to proof/research?

Then you're retarded. Drop some dry bread in a soup and come back in 15 minutes and tell me what you find. Also, how do you think bread pudding works?

My family calls it dressing you tremendous faggot.

>walk into a thread about a food called STUFFING
>act surprised when you hear it's STUFFED inside something
I don't give a fuck what you call it, you're retarded.

Your stuffing should be fairly moist from butter/stock before it goes in the bird though.

I also should clarify that I was surprised people STILL do it considering it's number one on every list of cooking turkey don'ts. Some people really are too retarded to learn tho so I shouldn't be that surprised.

Think about what you just said then ask yourself what is the fucking point. If you're going to have it all pre moistened to the point it's not absorbing your turkey juices then why are you breaking your ass to do it?

See:
The evidence against stuffing birds is entirely anecdotal, so I see no issues with dismissing them on the basis of my own anecdotal evidence. My family has been making stuffed turkeys for decades now, and there has never been a dry turkey or case of illness from it.

Because it tastes better cooked in the bird, obviously. I don't see how the addition of one or two more ingredients before filling the bird constitutes "breaking your ass."

It doesn't taste any different than if you put the drippings in your dressing.

Alton Brown didn't even test it. He's just assuming that there isn't a difference.

Well the flavor part is obvious. How could it possibly be different? Over cooking your bird so that three servings of stuffing can reach 165° is udder retardation. I bet your breasts are as dry as your old ass grandma's

alton brown isn't a good guide for advanced cooking. he's novice at best, anything beyond that you need to look elsewhere.

As other anons, I've always made it separately and then stuffed the bird afterwards, mostly for quality control.

>how could two things cooked in entirely different ways be different?

But it's not cooked entirely different. They're both baked in the drippings of the bird. Explain the magic you think happens inside the cavity.

How the fuck does bread 'sponge' more liquid out of the bird than would otherwise wind up in the pan. And the bread can only hold so much liquid anyway. It makes no sense you dumb cocksucker.

>How does a sponge soak up more water than if there was no sponge
I hope you're not serious user

>outside juices pressed out by heat are actually inside the meat.

Are you stupid? Once the juices leave the meat they are no long IN THE MEAT!

Use the organs to make a broth for the stuffing, then shred said organs and pull the meat off the neck so you can add it to the stuffing.

And have the kids do it to keep them occupied during Christmas instead of spazzing.

Right but salted sponges will draw more moisture out. Are you really this dumb? So stuff the bird fags have two arguments so far
>The stuffing doesn't draw anything from the meat
>Stuffing in the bird somehow gains extra flavor, but takes nothing from the bird
C'mon which is it? Are you or are you not taking something away from the bird? Also you affect ambient humidity when the liquid is soaked into a solid. Less ambient humidity equals a drier bird.

>Are you or are you not taking something away from the bird?
Are you fucking retarded? juices leaving the bird are from heat!

I guess we can't have pan gravy then...that is obviously "taking away" flavor from the bird.

Yes but roasting in a puddle of your own juices is different than having them all soaked up by bread
Post cooking use of the drippings is not the same because it doesn't affect how the bird cooks. Using the drippings is how to make a proper dressing and gravy.