So I want to start making coffee at home and saw this is on sale on Amazon for $60...

So I want to start making coffee at home and saw this is on sale on Amazon for $60. I'm wondering if it's worth it or if I should just get a simple press for like $15.

And if recommended the latter, I have a question: How do I press coffee?

Just get a keurig if you're too fucking dumb to Google "how to make coffee"

I propose a better question then:

How is Keurig compared to pressed?

I don't like the keurig. Coffee tastes weak to me. Plus they're a bitch to clean.

I have a kuerig and it's convenient but the coffee is really mediocre. I only use it when I'm in a hurry, otherwise I use a cheap traditional coffee maker that makes much better coffee anyway, and no overpriced plastic pods.

So I bought a coffee filer with a tube at the end to fill a carafe, I boil the water in a pot, pull it off the burner, a add ground coffee, stir, wait four minutes, pour into filter on top of my pre warmed thermal carafe, have a wonderful pot of great coffee in about five minutes, just dump the grinds into compost bin, put everything in dishwasher, so no complicated cleanup.

What coffee maker do you use? When you say traditional do you mean something that looks like pic related?

I've wanted to get something like this to try getting into coffee, but coffee autists always seem to say buying your coffee pre-ground is trash tier.

Figure out what your ideal coffee / water ratio is.

Pour coarsely shredded roast coffee beans into your press and add boiled water. Allow 4 minutes to steep and press the plunger down slowly. Pour. Drink.

Highly recommend conical burr grinder.

>inb4 expensive meme
There are cheap ones. Buy freshly roasted coffee and use a conical burr hand grinder for good-ass coarsely ground coffee. Actual flavor difference.

If you're feeling lazy just use instant. When that machine breaks there's no fixing it. Get a french press my man, it's easy to take apart and clean. Also it's fine to buy pre ground coffee (though I like to grind it at the store).

I'll look into the french press, thanks user

I actually have this exact model. The quality of the coffee can vary greatly between k-cups, and the actual coffee is a little bit more watery than some from a regular drip machine. The coffee still tastes good, and is usually ready within a minute.

>I want to make coffee at home
>how do I press coffee
Coffee is for grown-ups, silly user.

Horrid

Get nespresso over Keurig.

>grind at the store
What stores still do that?

Aeropress?

Pretty much any coffee shop that sells whole bean and most big chain supermarkets have a grinder in the coffee aisle.

All of them. Even Walmart has a grinder in the aisle.

Don't fall for Keurig or any other "pod" coffee maker. The coffee isn't good, it's the same stale stuff you would find pre-ground in a tin at the grocery store except jacked up to ridiculous prices. It's a super expensive and super wasteful practice for mediocre at best coffee.

This desu. I've been using them for years. Like them better than a drip pot or a french press, though.

But that's wrong. The coffee is sealed, and unless you are buying some knockoff Chinese crap you will have decent quality coffee. You can always just use a reusable pod and grind your own.

Drinkable but not pleasurable.

it's not that expensive, I pay like $0.24 per pod, I like them because I don't drink coffee that often at home (work provides free coffee) and I like being able to choose from a bunch of different beans and flavors instead of having to make a whole pot of just one flavor.

If you aren't some coffee autist that has to have freshly ground coffee and drink it black, then Keurigs are fine for you.

Where can you get them for 24 cents?

my local grocery store has a spot where you can pick any flavor pod, it's $10 for 24 pods, I like to pick a random mix of flavors.

Kuerigs are for people that don't like coffee but want to look like they like coffee.
It's literally a countertop Starbucks.

It's dreadful. The best thing about the keurig is that it caused every other form of coffee maker to drop in price by a ton.

Anybody who uses kuerigs or tassimo should really check themselves. You pay 10x more for half the quality.

Apparently being aware of this makes you a "coffee autist"

It's fantastic scam, though.
It's literally the same thing as the coffee machines at a truck stop, but rebranded as "gourmet."
Gourmet truck stop coffee.

No it doesn't. Looking down on people who don't grind their own beans and thinking you're superior for using a french press over a drip machine makes someone a coffee autist.

So, I only need 1 cup of coffee with sugar and no cream in order to get me going in the morning sometimes. I don't need a whole pot. What should I get if not a pod based system?

A pour-over cone.
Or one of those motel sized drip makers.

the douwe Egberts machines here actually use a cold coffee concentrate in machine similar to a soda fountain that adds hot water. very different from a kuerig

You can get one of the stainless steel Vietnamese pour over filters for about $6 at the asian grocery. I love mine, took me about 3-4 tries to get used to it, but once I got it dialed in it was great.

I can't for the life of me figure out how one of these work from the picture? Could you explain more?

>actually cleaning your coffee machine

Nah, they're pretty easy once you figure out how to detach certain parts. No harder than a normal drip pot. Comes apart like legos and goes back together just as easily.

>I can't for the life of me figure out how one of these work from the picture? Could you explain more?
It is simply a single cup drip basket. You lay the metal device on top of a mug and the coffee slowly drips out the bottom holes. The other two pieces are the lid to hold in the heat on top of it, and the other item is a filter.

Go to any pho noodle house and get a hot or iced coffee, and that contraption is over your glass/mug that has some sweetened condensed milk in it. It is usually dripping some dark roast espresso style coffee.

Yeah...maybe you should get a kuerig.

Bodum Brazil

You put the grounds in the basket, then you screw down the filter plate, pour in the water and put the lid on.
The trickiest part is getting the filter set right. If you crank it down to tight it'll choke off the drip, too loose and the water just goes right through. It took me a couple tries to get it right, but it makes a very nice cup of coffee. It's also very easy to clean and doesn't really make any trash besides the used grounds.

My parents have one of these and I like it.

If you're looking to really learn about coffee and get into the intricacies of things, then this won't do the trick, but if you want a slightly cheaper cup of joe instead of stopping at Starbucks or brewing a full pot like some anons are suggesting, I think this works well.

>drip machines can only make full pots