MSG

So what's the verdict on MSG?

It did nothing wrong. Same with gluten. People are just faggots

Essential if you wanna be a great cook

Delicious.

Pretty much this. There's nothing toxic or dangerous about it.

It is, however, a compromise shortcut compared to more traditional sources of savory/umami flavor. For Chinese cooking the traditional fermented condiments like douchi (black beans), oyster sauce, tienmenjiang (chili bean paste), etc, are going to taste a fuck of a lot better.

This.

If people know you use it, they will look down upon you too. Learned that from experience.

Well at least with gluten there are a small number of people who have a legitimate issue with it. Everyone else who thinks it's bad are being mislead by people pushing fad diets who make them randomly choose between fat and carbs being bad. But nobody says they can't eat certain foods because they naturally contain MSG.

I bought a lb bag because this board shilled it. I added a teaspoon to everything savory I made for Thanksgiving and everyone loved it.

Also, since I now have a lb bag of it, what are your favorite recipes for it?

i don't have a problem with it but i always get a headache after eating food containing it. idk why

You don't need a "recipe" for it user. It's just a source of savory flavor. You use it whenever you're too lazy to use a more traditional source.

Say you're making chicken soup but you don't have any decent stock? MSG and water. Say you're making a stew and you didn't get a very good sear on the meat first (or skipped it entirely)--add some MSG.

You know how when you taste food and think "that's not salty enough" so you add salt? Or if something isn't sweet enough so you add sugar? Same idea here, except it's for a different basic taste: savory/umami.

I don't even know what it tastes like. Can I use this when cooking steak?

>I don't even know what it tastes like.
We already told you. It tastes savory aka umami.

> Can I use this when cooking steak?
Why would you need to? A steak is already savory.

What happens when you add MSG to something sweet?

Then you'd have something both sweet and savory. Tons of foods are like that: many stir fries, adding ketchup to a hamburger, pineapple on pizza, sweet BBQ sauce with meat, sweet fruits cooked with roast duck or goose, etc.

>So what's the verdict on MSG?
It's MSG.

It makes your doggo1 go bonkers.

MSG by itself without a savory flavor to enhance mostly just tastes salty/bitter

Stop eating so much at once, user. That shit is strong. It's no different than eating those super concentrated artificial sweeteners: if you just stuck a spoonful in your mouth they don't taste sweet at all. But in the quantities they'd normally be used in? That's different.

It's a vital ingredient in fried rice.

Only if you're too inept to break out the shrimp paste.

My wife developed a serious reaction to MSG while living in China. They put tons of MSG in everything. If she eats it she gets a headache, heart palpitations and becomes very anxious. If I didn't see it myself I would have thought those people were just like gluten hating pussies. Myself, I can take it or leave it.

I feel nothing negative after eating a quarter teaspoon of MSG via an olive oil pasta dish.

If you need MSG to make your food taste good then you're not a great cook.

Do you ever slip it in food just to confirm she's not a lying whore?

The shrimp paste has MSG in it. Most of the sauces and pastes you find in Asian supermarkets have MSG in them.

MSG is like the discovery of augar in europe in the 11th century. Before then if you wanted sweet you had to properly cook whatever sweet shit you had., and it's yhe same with savory before the discovery of MSG. We think it's lazy now but it will revolutionize cooking in the long run. People hundreds of years from now will wonder how we got by without it, like how the greeks ate pretty much nothing but grains, dates, honey, salty fish, and other regional shit.