How many fingers go inside the handle, 1 or 2?

How many fingers go inside the handle, 1 or 2?

10 in your mom.

Two, and one under.

The most autistic thread of the day award goes to...

Palm or Claw?

I hold it from underneath with the tips of my fingers

Palm is objectively wrong

It is if you have tiny manlet hands.Or the beverage is too hot.

I like a modified claw with my thumb against the cup and only two fingers bracing, the index finger out. It makes it look like you're paying attention.

>holding your own cup
if you're too poor to afford a tea serving team, then you are too poor to for tea. drink soda instead.

>no option for three

Palm

Claw at first while it's to hot and then palm once it's cooled down

don't forget the pinky in the air

I usually grab it with index finger and thumb while bracing against middle finger.

Three in pinkie supporting.

3 inside

the only adults in this thread

this

how small is your hand/you?

you've posted a cup, op's pic is a mug. there's a difference. you wouldn't hold an espresso cup like in your pic, either.

That's a low DEX way of doing it. Your high DEX betters hold it more like a pen.

>not drinking from a bowl

numales

>drinking from a bowl
good dog

It really depends on how large the handle it. Like those shitty car mugs with the wee tiny handle all the way at the top. Fuck those. I'll have to throw my own stoneware mug just to have something I like.

Also, Ideally, 3 fingers in the handle, thumb on the top, pinky under neath. I prefer the ones with a special turned up pad on the top for the thumb to get a better grip on and a couple finger spacers on the inside of the handle to further prevent the handle from slipping at all.

Four in, cupping with both hands.

CLAW AS MANY AS YOU CAN FIT AND WEDGE THE MUG UNDER YOUR ARMPIT

INHALE DEEPLY

The correct choice

Zero. I just hold the cup itself. Kind of like palm here but rotated so no fingers go under handle.

>no inverse palming
Stay pleb, plebs

Palm, and the handle shouldn't be anywhere near your hand. You should be palming it from the complete opposite side of the handle.

Depends on how hot the liquid is.

t. low-STR build

Who drinks that much espresso?

Palm is only acceptable when camping.

Two, sometimes three, depending on the size of the handle.

But they stack so good

This man knows.

Partrician finger position

Like this but one handed because I am not a fairy.

Right in most situations, however if you are drinking outside on the porch then left is preferred given a dropped mug will likely shatter.

One in the pink, three in the stink. Knuckle-burners, those ones.

Potterly fellow that I am, would you explain to me the distinction between a cup and a mug?

3-4 you fucking weirdo

These I hold with my index finger through the handle, and then my thumb on the opposite side of the mug.

2 and the other 2 under
my hands are BIG AND MANLY

you're still a soyboy

>A mug is a type of cup typically used for drinking hot beverages, such as coffee, hot chocolate, soup, or tea. Mugs usually have handles and hold a larger amount of fluid than other types of cup. Usually a mug holds approximately 12 US fluid ounces (350 ml) of liquid; double a tea cup.
>Mug - Wikipedia
or in my own words: size. and form.

>being a pussy and not holding the scalding coffee in your hands

Man the fuck up

>form
let me explain with a bit more detail: cups are almost always rounded at the bottom, mugs are flat. you have saucers for cups, you don't have them for mugs (coasters at the best) you serve coffee or tea from a teapot in cups, you serve tea made with teabags in mugs. well, generally you ought to do.
you can put any liquid into any form of dish you want to, its none of my business and frankly, I don't care. drink milk out of cups, drink tea out of glasses, apple juice out if a sippy cup, and coffee in soupbowls. you'd be doing it wrong, and I'd give you an odd look if it was to happen in my presence, but I only judge silently, so no harm done.

as many as can be fit

I bet you wait for the cup to cool down before you grab it, you princess.

I have some tiny ass Hobbit hands. So 4 - thumb on top for stabilization.

Always one. Even in my filled to the brim stein (in the back)

fuck me; and middle under.

I only place my thumb inside and hold the handle in between my thumb and my palm and I wrap my 4 fingers over the lip of my mug. That way I get a better grip than just holding the handle.

So a mug has a clearly defined form and function in that it is used for hot beverages and has a handle?
>Mugs usually have handles
Ah. So a handled drinking vessel for hot liquid is not necessarily a mug
>than other types of cup
Ah. So a mug IS a cup, a specific type of cup. Mug is to cup as square is to parallelogram? Perhaps, but a teacup–an oversized teacup–is not a mug because? It is a narrow-footed vessel with an open, bowl-like shape? Or is it because it is intended for drinking tea, and not coffee, hot chocolate or soup? Where do we classify those mugs that clearly have a wider lip than foot? Is this a combination of very esoteric arbitrary proportions, ergonomic features and intended functions, or is there a way to scientifically categorize a drinking vessel?

Ok, so I've been a potter for decades. The reason I'm kind of fascinated by the semantics of vessels is that the language we use largely affects the usage of the object, sometimes regardlessly of the ideal functionality of the vessels. You admit that there is a strong cultural aspect.

out of the this

two
claw if its hot, palm if its not

Plebs, all of you

It's plaid, you faggot

Is that a roll of tape?

no it's a thermos

best mug

Thermos is the most pleb piece of shit I can think of. Literally normie wage slave working a mind numbing job going home to his below average family and silently hating life tier

Accurate, but I kinda like my job. It's helping me with college

Autism

>Ah. So a mug IS a cup
well, yes. and no. let me re-classify them both as vessels. an oversized tecup is still not a mug, it'd be just that: an oversized (novelty) cup. also, as I already said, drinking coffee from a cup is perfectly fine in my book. drinking soup from both the cups or mugs would be weird... there are soup-bowls for that, that by the right autist could be classified as cups or mugs... picrelated
>those mugs that clearly have a wider lip than foot
do you mean the classic IKEA ones? ?
I'd still put them in mug category, albeit somewhat more dilligently.
>the language we use largely affects the usage of the object, sometimes regardlessly of the ideal functionality of the vessels. You admit that there is a strong cultural aspect.
oh, definitely. "coffeemug". and despite its form, a vessel not unlike a wineglass is still being called a cup (the trophy kind, or think of a grail), just because it is largely out of use nowadays.

None

2 although a man should never hold a cup with two hands

Ok, so a mug is a specific (although somewhat arbitrarily defined) type of cup? So is that double-handled vessel a bowl-cup or a mug-bowl? Also, where do you stand on the distinction between a small bowl and a cup? Is a tea bowl really a cup in all but name?

Real man here. Not sure you could even lift my cup with one hand.

Believe you me partner I’ve held some pretty large cups with just a finger in my day

>bowl-cup or a mug-bowl
a soup-bowl (or a soup-cup)
>difference between a small bowl and a cup
the handle, i'd say. I too use them occasionaly, though its a bit pretentious imho, but when thirsty, teabowls let tea cool down faster.

Lets have some examples then, this is me, drinking coffee from what I'd say is a mug. It is the size of a cup, however the handle and the flat bottom make it a mug in my eyes. and as one can cleary see, the handle fits exactly two fingers ,just to keep it on topic.
(I'd never imagined myself having a conversation about pottery.)

>Or the beverage is too hot.
Cups are explicitly for hot beverages

where would you put chalices? what about chalices with handles? if the footing is what differentiates them from bowls, then what about teacups with foot? are spittoons bowls or urns?

*feet.
pardon, english isn't my first language

Wait now. Are you telling me that a cup must have a handle? If this is true, I must now redefine my entire worldview. I cannot respond to the rest of your post without some clarification on that. (I think discussion of drinking vessels as they pertain to food and beverage usage is on topic, personally. The OP was about mug handle ergonomics.)

All right, I have to walk to the store to buy some coffee. I'll give you my opinion on that afterwards, while you tell me the difference between a chalice and a goblet. Be careful with this one. This is the start of a path that ends in wearing all black and calling everything in your kitchen a vessel.

>Are you telling me that a cup must have a handle?
if we're not talking "medieval" cups like picrelated, yes. take into accout that I've no background in pottery and have been brought up in western society, and we're talking general "cup", of course it has to have a handle, otherwise one'd have to specify.

>while you tell me the difference between a chalice and a goblet.
dictionary definition of a chalice is "a large goblet", also used for communion. grail is a goblet, too then, often referring to particular (mystical) one
as already stated, english is not my native language, and while I know the word "goblet", it didn't cross my mind in the conversation up until you mentioned it just then.

>path that ends in wearing all black
already do that
>and calling everything in your kitchen a vessel.
eh, as long as one does not start calling people "mortal vessels", it'll be fine.
another thing, what are amphorae? are they urns or something else?

>not using your jedi powers to make the coffee levitate into your mouth

you faggots really argue about anything

Goblet
>ORIGIN late Middle English : from Old French gobelet, diminutive of gobel ‘cup,’ of unknown origin.

Chalice
>ORIGIN Middle English : via Old French from Latin calix, calic- ‘cup.’

At this point in civilization, with so much language and idea-sharing, I feel like we have to be amateur etymologists to really get to the bottom of what we're communicating to each other. Anyway, I think both goblets and chalices (with and without handles) are cups. Cups with stems and feet wide enough for them to stand on their own. If any difference exists between the two, it would only be in the possible connotation of a chalice being associated with the Eucharist, and only because Latin is the language of the Church. Back in the day, the cup of Christ was a calix. But it just meant cup. I can tell you Jesus' cup probably didn't have a handle because it was for wine. That's the most famous cup in human history, but it did not have a handle. Perhaps a cup stem is a handle of sorts though.

>Greek pots
That one's relatively easy because the ancient greeks were usually pretty autistic about their pottery forms usage rules. I believe amphorae were food and drink storage vessels, that very often could not stand upright without additional support. Urns are storage vessels for cremation ashes. Whether they are actually used for ashes or not, once that label was applied there is no switching back and forth. This seems very logical to me.

post more hands afggots

By the way, can you get Peet's coffee in Sweden? I've been digging their Big Bang blend. Conversations about pottery with potters tend to go one of two ways: brainy or bawdy.

Huh, weird. I jam all four fingers in most cups and I have normal sized hands. My thumb braces against the cup.

I'm gonna watch people for this from now on to see what's really going on.

I believe cup to formally be in reference to the teacup, but informally is used to describe pretty much any form of vessel designed for drinking.
At least in my local area, a cup will refer informally to any type of ceramic (or similar) vessel with a handle, but people are aware of the formal distinction.

Try drinking coffee in a room of potters and everyone stares at how you're holding your mug

First time drinking tea, thoughts?

Why's that

If 2 don't fit, the cup is shit.
3 is ideal, though.

If you insist

>not chugging from the pot

>By the way, can you get Peet's coffee in Sweden? I've been digging their Big Bang blend
Never heard of it, sorry, and neither am I swedish, the vessel depicted is a souvenir (and it perfectly fits the "2cups" measurement my coffee maker spits out)
as for ,I see where you're coming from (if you'll pardon the pun), but in this case I'd rather sort my pottery by modern-day usage of language than the origin of the words. (...while it is a pretty interesting topic. are you familiar with Susie Dent? she has published multiple books about the origin of the english language). I would never refer to a pitcher as an ewer and I argue that the common description of a cup would be as illustrated above. a drinking horn is a cup of sorts, too, but we don't call it that. we (the general western society) would be more inclined to call it a cup when its bottom is sawed off and it has a handle fitted, not?

>Not holding it by the handle
DISGUSTING

post number is 2333 how appropriate
I prefer using my thumb or two fingers to apply pressure on the other side though.