/cast iron/

I took advantage of the black Friday and bought a cast iron "cocotte" by Staub
I had a big discount, 45% circa
did I fall for a meme? does someone of you guys already have something similar?
pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/nVMjfq4SAB8?t=68
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Those things are great my mom has one i have used.

I can be your mom now

what is some good foodage to create with one of these?

Soups, stews, braised items.

you can also bake bread inside with decent results, apparently

would these be good for curries?

>would these be good for curries?
They would be good for anything you'd stew a long time.

A heavy cast iron pan sears well, hold heat well, so you can simmer and cook evenly both. The heat holding is also excellent when trying to regulate hot oil in deep frying.

I have the feeling that stainless steel is just as good as cast iron or is there some underground goverment secret that I'm not aware of?

These can't do anything more a good hotel pan with aluminium foil can.

They are like kitchenaid mixers. only 5% of people who purchase them actually use them, they are showpieces.

yeah bro why would you cook different things in different pans thats fucking dumb lol

Please explain to me how you can't braise in a hotel pan.

It's a pot. Pots are useful.

I don't think there's anything noteworthy about the Staub pots, but I also saw them on a pretty deep discount, and if you have need for a pot of that form factor / volume, it's a decent purchase.

They look very nice. Theoretically, the design of a cocotte should help with braising ,but I don't think it makes a difference in practice.

I mean, it's literally just a pot, there isn't that much to say about it.

>did i fall for a meme
>not cooking all your food wrapped in leaves in a fire pit

fell for the consumerism meme.

i picked up on from aldi. 7 quarts and it cost me $18
great for soups, stews, gumbo, mac n cheese, roasts, etc.

You can't sear, deep fry, or bake a big crusty loaf of bread in a hotel pan. My enameled dutch oven gets a workout at least once a week.

I also use my kitchenaid mixer a shit ton as well, so your criticism might be directed more towards the kind of people who like to spend a shitload of money on high end stuff and never use it. Like people who buy entire sets of Shun knives and All Clad copper pans.

>You can't sear,
nigga what?

youtu.be/nVMjfq4SAB8?t=68

gordon been getting hench

You know very well that it doesn't sear as well as cast iron. But I concede, you can just treat it like a regular old roasting pan and sear in it.

These are great for cooking stovetop and moving to the oven and vice-versa

you did fucking great, OP. you can use this to make stocks, make soups/stews, roast chickens, braise meats, make pot roast, and make god tier bread.

bump to trigger amerifats

Searing is searing