Is it worth getting copper pots re-tinned?

So i've got a fairly thick copper pot, i'd say at least 2.5mm thick, but could be 3 or even 3.5mm it's a heavy fucker.

Would it be worthwhile to go through the expense of getting it re-tinned? The one quote i've gotten so far was $350-400 to re-tin both the pot and lid. Seemed a bit pricey, but I know there aren't too many people out there who do this anymore, so i'm not sure if there are cheaper (or better) alternatives.

Other urls found in this thread:

edehillerin.fr/en/stock-pot/360-pot-copper-etame-without-lid.html#/176-choice_diameter_cm-28
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The stamp I believe reads
>e.dehillerin 18 rue coquilliere PARIS

the other stamp

You might want to try posting this on /diy/ as well. I have no knowledge but I wanted to say that's a really beautiful pot.

Why would you or anyone else put tin on a copper pot?

...because that's how it's lined?

Tin is the most common lining for higher end copper until you go for the super premium stuff with silver plating.

probably has something to do with reduction potentials

Why do reditors always start their posts with so? It doesn't make any sense. At least it makes them easier to spot

i've been here for longer than reddit was a website, calm down kid. Stop trying to be so edgy.

How was I trying to be edgy?

>everyone who types with a certain inflection is a ledditor maymay

Come on, keep trying you'll get the hang of this "four chan" one day.

If you're willing to drop that much to get it retinned you should probably just check what it would cost to get done in silver. Most of the cost of the retinning is labor anyway.

You're not answering my questions though you're just being defensive.

Why did you start your post with "so", and how was I trying to be edgy with my previous post? Are you capable of answering simple questions or are you just going to type nonsense again?

If re-tinning is $350-400 I can only imagine getting silver electroplating would be 3-4x as much.

>Why did you start your post with "so"
Literally what does it matter what word I started with? It's perfectly acceptable english.

I could start with another arbitrary word next time if it makes you feel more comfortable, but to be honest, you'd still find something to bitch about.

How autistic are you to get worked up over someone using the word "so" to start a post? Just look at yourself.

Still not answering my questions. How pathetic.

More pathetic is coming into a thread without anything to add but autistically sperging out about someone using the word "so" to start a post.

Can you answer the questions though

I already did faggot, I don't care if you don't like the answer or you don't think it's an acceptable answer. Take it and leave.

That’s a nice pot. Where did you get it?

Estate sale. I paid $100.

"What does it matter" is not an answer to a question. Good luck in real life redit boy. Don't cry too much when you cant downvote and report people outside in the real world

There is no answer dumbass, it's called typing what on your mind. My thought processes started as a hypothetical "so what if I did this".

Just kill yourself if you honestly don't understand how language functions at a base level.

>I've got a fairly big copper pot
>hypothetical

So you don't have a pot then? You redit fags truly make no sense

What a fuckstick

so I've been monitoring and so I've been hoping this train would come to a satisfying conclusion and so I'm happy it happened. So I think you should continue your battle against redditposting

Wew, the re-tinning is hypothetical you actual faggot moron.

Are you REALLY retarded? I mean you're making a GOOD case for it.

>hurr-durr im a retard
Because copper is a poisonous heavy metal and you don't want it in contact with your food.

And so it came to pass that the Countess, who once bathed in the rejuvenating blood of a hundred virgins, was buried alive

It's good for egg whites though. I've got a few solid copper bowls for that purpose.

>this thread
Wtf just happened?

So OP's got a fairly thick copper pot, I'd say at least 2.5mm thick, but could be 3 or even 3.5mm it's a heavy fucker.

He wants to know, would it be worthwhile to go through the expense of getting it re-tinned? The one quote he's gotten so far was $350-400 to re-tin both the pot and lid. Seemed a bit pricey, but he knows there aren't too many people out there who do this anymore, so he's not sure if there are cheaper (or better) alternatives.

>Would it be worthwhile to go through the expense of getting it re-tinned?
Go for it, user. You just know that if you have a super nice but non-usable pot sitting around it will keep gnawing at you for the rest of your life, whereas you will be over the one-time loss of 400 dollars after a few pay checks.

not OP but any idea what a pot like that would cost new today?

sunk cost fallacy.
they could just sell it off and only be down a few bucks, or maybe even make money if it's worth more than the $100 they paid for it, instead of being down an extra $400

Someone is ripping you off, it's about $5.00 an inch. Even with shipping, it shouldn't be that much.

even though I am not your frigging google I looked it up because I wanted to knnow the prices myself. An 28cm diameter pot costs over 526€, holy shit.
edehillerin.fr/en/stock-pot/360-pot-copper-etame-without-lid.html#/176-choice_diameter_cm-28

yeah, but then they wouldn't have a much loved, much used and maybe even antique super nice copper pot, would they?

Mine is ~26-27cm.

They only make currently 24cm and 28cm so i'm guessing mine is a bit older and potentially a size not made currently.

Also by weight mine is slightly lighter, right around 12.9lbs. They say the 28cm should be a little over 13lbs.

Not sure if being vintage would add value or not.

So i have been following this thread and wondering if I need to re tin my apple butter bucket. Ackshully not a re tin because it ain't was never tinned and it must have been dangerous because the people that used it are long dead.

try selling it to someone who doesn't know it needs to be retinned. then buy a new one that you won't have to pay to retin.

that's not sunk cost fallacy

if OP was wondering if it's worth spending another $100 on another used copper pot, and was factoring his emotions from losing the first $100 into the equation, that's sunk cost fallacy

if it was worth spending $100 before it's worth spending $100 now

but OP already knows it was worth the $100 and is now wondering if retinning for $400 is the way to go or if there is a better option

not that guy, but spending $400 on something you paid $100 for when you wouldn't have paid $400 for the pot on its own is a textbook example of sunkcost fallacy

>t. unemployed guy who took a few classes before he flunked out of college

I doubt it was ever tin lined previously. There are legitimate uses to pure copper.

As mentioned earlier egg whites are commonly whipped in pure copper because the copper stops the egg whites from getting too beaten.

Yup

I've actually gone to the only local place in the area that does re-tinning and i thought their workmanship was shit, similar pricing though, they said $5-8 per inch, the place i got the $350-400 quote was from a guy in canada who does some great stuff who was recommended to me from an antique shop i go to. He said he'd also look at repairing a few of the dings on the lid and shit for that price.

Keep looking... there are several places that will do a wonderful job @$5.

that's escalation of commitment and it only applies or matters if it's not worthwhile, which is what he's trying to determine

Fukken plebs hear the term "sunk cost" and think they know what it means and parrot it for eternity. It's like you're saying that because money was invested, no more money should be invested because it's now been spent or "sunk" and that's "BAD"

I didn't flunk out of college, I just didn't reenroll when I started getting scheduled 80 hours a week

no, it's not saying that at all. The point is that even after spending $100, he is paying $400 for a pot. The question is, would he have bought the bought initially for $400 instead of $100, and the answer is almost definitely not. If he would have, then it's not sunk cost, but likely what happened was he saw it for $100, thought it was a great deal, and now is willing to spend $400 more dollars on something he never would have spent $400 on in the first place simply because he already spent $100.

I'm not sure whether you are just misunderstanding what I am describing or whether you really don't know what sunk cost is, but what I'm describing here is most definitely an example of sunk cost fallacy.

I bought it knowing it would need to be retinned. So it's not like i'm shocked at the prospect, just wondering if $350-400 was too much.

Yeah but sunk cost would imply that had he bought new it wouldn't have needed to be retinned eventually too. Buying for a hundred dollars, using it for a while, and then retinning is a better overall investment than buying new.

You're going to get varying answers on that, considering most people would just buy another pot for $100 instead, one that didn't need to be fixed before you could use it.

I have other pots I can use, it's not like i'm in particular need of THIS size pot and don't have another option.

I simply was wondering if it was worth the $350-400 for retinning when i've already spent $100.

Since it looks like buying a comparable pot new would be ~650-750 USD with a lid, i'm obviously better off just retinning.