I made these yesterday and holy shit were they delicious...

I made these yesterday and holy shit were they delicious. I also tried to make some sort of cheese sauce using a combination of cheddar and monterrey jack but it just became a gooey mess so I said fuck it, went to the store, and got kraft singles, which melted great and worked well.

my question is, is there any way for me to make a good cheese sauce without keeping "american" """cheese""" in my fridge? are there any other cheeses that melt well?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gOLgLi5ZJOY
youtube.com/watch?v=yaMH-2P4bnA
youtube.com/watch?v=uwBq7MMY_xI
fifteenspatulas.com/hot-buttered-fluffy-pretzels-2-0-the-100-whole-wheat-version-and-a-giveaway/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Next time make a roux, then melt your cheese into it.
A pinch each of sodium citrate and sodium hexametaphosphate will also go a long way, but you're not going to find those at the grocery store.

>make roux
>add seasoning
>turn off heat
>add cheese
>mix well

I did make a roux but the cheese never got more melted than a thick clumpy mess, with the liquid in the cheeses separating out. tasted okay, but wasn't optimal for dipping. Don't have those chemicals on hand, though.

is there a specific type of other cheese that would work well? I'd figured jack is processed enough that it'd basically do as well as american but that doesn't seem to be the case. maybe this is because I used meme cheese from whole foods?

>jack
>american
There's your problem. Use freshly grated cheddar

Make a bechamel sauce and add cheese.

You gotta add milk too, not just a straight fucking roux ya nuts. user said make the bechamel, and that's pretty much it. I like to use beer, or mustard. Don't hate on processed crap cheese, it's cheap and NOTHING melts better. Try Alton Faggot Brown's pretzel recipe, its fucking perfect.

youtube.com/watch?v=gOLgLi5ZJOY
youtube.com/watch?v=yaMH-2P4bnA
youtube.com/watch?v=uwBq7MMY_xI

can you post the recipe?

I prefer my cheese sliced BY jack

jesus

>Make a bechamel sauce and add cheese.
love the claw grip so he seems professional

if you're using the melting salts why use a roux? Also amazon is selling a package of those both for fairly cheap

in the original post I mentioned that I used cheddar and jack together.neither melted well.

>sodium hexametaphosphate

Anyone used this? How much would I add per cup of cheese sauce?

Shred your cheese and melt it in a saucepan with evaporated milk and corn starch.

The ChefSteps recipe is 12g sodium citrate and 1.5g SHMP to 300g of cheese. That's, what, two cups?

yeh, here's what I used. It's from the Joy of Cooking. I'd highly recommend you pick up a copy if you do much cooking, it'll give a solid base for pretty much every standard recipe you can think of, and some more exotic ones as well.

You can buy blocks of American Cheese that are not kraft singles, you moron.

>liquid in the cheeses separating out
that's what happens when you let cheese get hot.
When you're adding cheese to a pot, the heat should be off. The residual heat from what you're cooking should be enough to melt the cheese. Of course, even then it can be too hot.

If the cheese doesn't melt, either try it a little hotter or try another type.

I'm making pretzels now according to this recipe:

fifteenspatulas.com/hot-buttered-fluffy-pretzels-2-0-the-100-whole-wheat-version-and-a-giveaway/

I wanted whole wheat ones. I added some honey, garlic powder, and mustard powder to the dough.

Should I bother with cheese sauce or just dip them in salsa? Another option is I have white cheese powder I could brush them with butter after baking and dip them in cheese powder.

What do you guys think I should do. The dough is rising now.

I also am going to briefly boil them in water with baking soda, even though the recipe doesn't call for that. I think it helps gelatinize the starch.