Lox

Why is it so expensive? Shouldn’t it be cheaper than salmon since the curing process gives it a longer shelf life?

You're paying for the curing process on top of the salmon

why don't you go out and cure some salmon yourself?

probably because it takes several days and pounds of salt/various expensive tools and you'd probably rather pay $20/lb

>why is wine more expensive than grapes

>cleaned, cut, boned just 4U
>cured 4U
>workers want to feed their family
>UGH CAN'T I PAY THEM LESS

stop user

that's a big fish

>expensive tools

fucking RETARD

all you need is salt and sodium nitrate, a deep pan, cling film and a fridge. you should already have a deep dish, cling film and a fridge, and you can buy enough sodium nitrate in a small package for cheap to last you YEARS OF WEEKLY SALMON CURING. not to mention you can buy salt for next to nothing

you are fucking STUPID

fuck off

Honestly, not any more stupid than the OP.

4U

are you stupid?

>all you need to do is descale, filet, debone, purchase salt and order sodium nitrate, then allow it to cure for several days!

so all you have to do is do work equal to the amount extra you're paying
so you're saying you're aware of the fact you're genuinely retarded

it takes less than 10 fucking mins of prep from whole fish to cure, then wait, then another 2 mins to set up the smoker, then 2 fucking mins after that to slice it

i am an experianced salmon smoker kid, and i SHIT all over you and your faggot thinkings

>since the curing process gives it a longer shelf life
wait, why would that make it cheaper?

Piece of salmon

Salt, aquevit and dill

Clingfilm that shit

About 24 hours

Vala

I don't have time to put any practice into salmon smoking.

you lost alot of time shitposting

bullshit. you sit here on your faggot computer or phone, or sit in front of your idiot box watching gay tv movies and you have the GALL to say that?

pathetic fucking worm

i spent 30 seconds on that post, 10 seconds on this one kid

you are so stupid it hurts

>Vala

Absolute nonsense.

This kid has never smoked in his life.

nah dude your lost time man you lost time

cold smoking is so fucking simple to set up you fucking retard. you just need dust/pellets and somthing to put them in, a torch to light it, a box with a rack and what you want to smoke, the cured fish for example

you obivously are jelly of my expertise, kid

im lost time? no im not, learn to do your typings better you fucking retarded grub

You have never smoked in your life, CHump!

Take your lies back home.

Newfag

think i give a fuck what some dumb fucking women thinks? go be offended that i called you out in your tampon bin you fucking skank

Lox is expensive.

But it's stupid simple to make and really isn't very complicated at all.

Never take the word of a self proclaimed pitmaster with the arrogance of a 14 year old with a chip on his shoulder.

exactly. as i said in many of my pervious posts, its fucking SIMPLE AND DOES NOT TAKE A LOT OF TIME OR MONEY OR SPECIAL EQUIPMENT

thank you for agreeing with me, these fuck heads need to fuck off

You can buy packaged lox, sure... Or you can get a big ol filet of raw salmon and cure it yourself. The hard part is finding fresh enough herbs.

Say it costs a lox-maker $3/lb to get fresh fillet at wholesale.
He's also gotta buy the curing ingredients, which cost 8c per pound of fish at wholesale.
Next are the labour costs. Mixing a large batch of cure, enough for 16lbs of fish, takes about 5 minutes. Applying it to salmon takes another 5 per side of fish (about 2ish lbs for a large salmon). And setting the salmon aside to cure a final minute per pair of sides. An artisan might wanna pay himself at least $16 an hour to do this work, so that's at least another $1.57 per pound pre-cure weight of fish.
Next, is loss. 18%, give or take, of the salmon's weight will be lost due to the cure leeching water (also evaporation), so it takes 1.22 lbs of fresh salmon to make 1lb of cured salmon.
And finally, mark-up. Typically, whatever the ingredient cost is, expect mark up to be 167% on top of that plus labour costs.
Ergo: ((1.22lbs fresh fish x $3.08 ingredients) + 167% markup) + 1.22lbs x $1.57 labour costs = $11.95/lb for cured lox at retail.

>lying about smoking on the internet

Alt-right, mra virgins were a mistake.

You need to calm down though. Nobody will have any kind of respect for an opinion disguised as angry trolling.

Hey Ebeneezer, you forgot about the vacuum packaging and printing.

>all these mentions of smoked salmon ITT
Oh, if you're cold smoking cured lox, that's gonna increase the cost per lb by another several dollars.
I thought you meant just the cured one, as described, though I let it go a bit longer than just 1 day, 2bh.

go clean your cunt, bitch

shut the fuck up ass licker

5 to 7 days, sometimes up to 10 depending on how much salt you use

>What is a value added process?

>understands pricing
>"lol, you parsimonious scotsman"
I know how this shit works as I once owned and operated a business dealing in my own, homemade lox. Doesn't make me a Dickens character.
Also, idk about you, but I don't often see artisan-made products sold in vac-packs.

I go 3-5 days. I used to own a sandwich stall at a weekend farmer's market and I've sold own-cured lox a few times. I started the cure Tuesday, often in the morning, to have fish prepared by 10.30 Saturday, when people started to get peckish for things other than breakfast food.

Hey Scrooge... the shit you buy in stores in the States. The packaged lox in the frozen meats aisle? The thing pictured in the goddamn OP? Yeah, it's all vacuum sealed to maintain shelf life. That, too, is an expense.

And again, my first post discussed the pricing for artisan-made lox, not factory made. He won't need to worry about the price of packaging. I have no experience with how much it costs to make factory-made lox so I can't speak to that. Which is why I spoke only of artisan stuff.
Also,
>buying lox frozen
Does the US not sell fresh lox or something? Or just not in your special corner of Statesota?

nice, I used to sell jerky to a few speciality goods stalls at a few markets. never worked in one or ran one though. was it good money/worth the time? it's something ive thought about doing

>vala
It’s not “vala” nor is it “wa la”, it’s “voila”.

>kid
You are really angry over other people’s ineptitude at curing salmon. I think you have problems.

Awww, sweetie, I think its time for your nappy :) does baby want a juice box before sleepy time?

>All this anger over salty, preserved fish muscles
Losers, every single one of you.

>using grown up words
>means I'm angry

stop projecting kid

>I don’t often see artisan-made products sold in vac packs
When do you ever see lox sold in store packaged in anything other than a vac pack??

i raped your mum 9 months before you were born, kid

>hurr durr naughty words make me sound grown-up
Yeaaaah you're 13 kiddo

The farmers market in the small college town I went to school in only ran on weekends in the late spring through early autumn so I couldn't do it year round there if I wanted to. I earned a decent amount during operation, though. Overhead was low since the price of the space at the market was cheap, certs were cheap and I had no workers to pay.
Not sure if I can recommend it or not. It depends more on your personality than anything whether or not you'll enjoy it. As for 'good money' it was good money as a college student, but as adult with a big boy job now, I wouldn't do it, no.

Are you kidding me? OP specifically showed a package of vacuum-packed lox asking why it was so costly. The question was implied to be about store-bought lox hence why >9752495 referenced the cost of the vacuum packing and labeling.

little faggot kid, sucking a dick
dont get mad kid, you might get sick

sounds like something I could enjoy, and a good way to make a supplemental income on the weekends

Also maybe you are not familiar (?!) with Charles Dickens’ a Christmas Carol but he was referring to the costing down to the penny since Ebenezer Scrooge was a greedy, penny-pinching miser. I can’t tell if you genuinely didn’t get that or if you were brushing it aside.

Do you not have people making/selling their own stuff independently where you live? I mean... are all cheeseburgers in your town sold in branded wrapping, too?

>nonsencial "comebacks" that have little to do with the actual discussion, just sound edgy
>stubborn insistence that 'I'm not the kid, you're the kid!'
>thinks cursing is "grown up words"

Does your Mommy know you come here?

>Does the US not sell fresh lox or something?
I live on Long Island. Lox is Jewish candy and there is a focus of Jews here like you wouldn't believe. I live within walking distance of one temple and within spitting distance of another. The prices around me don't count as there is no shortage of fresh lox here but OP is talking the really expensive packaged stuff.

Side note, if you want to make good money with your salmon, open a deli near the north shore here that does catering for temples. I imagine you'd be able to refloor your entire house with solid gold before long.

Are you so ill-read that you don't know what 'parsimonious' means or that Ebenezer Scroogeis often portrayed as a Scot?

Why're Ashkenazi Jews are so gaga over fish, especially cured and cured-and-smoked fish, anyway?

u mad af kid

>atlantic salmon that isn't from europe

>why doesn't adding materials, time, and labor make the price go down?
Let me check with our accountant

cringe

>why is a summer cottage more expensive than cottage cheese?

jelly of my poem/lymrick, kid?

Make your own fucking gravlax then, you cheap kike.

>lymrick

There was an user on Veeky Forums
who rhymed about a kid being gay
it was about getting sick from dick
and he didn't know a poem from a limerick
Pretty sure he's retarded but hey

I forgot, you nuggets call them "raps"

there once was a little gay kid,
whomed farted and left a skid,
everyone laughed, the gay kid barfed
and he ran away ad his

you are the gay kid, pant shitter

nice rap niggy boy

that would be a limerick.

I'm pretty sure OP wants cold smoked salmon, which is a hell of a lot more complicated than just soaking it in a solution.

wrong, it's a rap beacuse you are a nigger

Why is Northern Virginia lox a thing?

What do violins have to do with this?

>Jewish
>Expensive
Adds up

Its limerick. Learn to spell pls

No idea but everything they eat has to be kosher, have preparation overseen by rabbis and then blessed by Jew magics. That may or may not have something to do with it.

but Shouldn’t it be cheaper than salmon since the curing process gives it a longer shelf life?

It should be, but ((((((((they)))))))) don't want it to be.

Curing process takes longer to produce for market and also costs more money to make. This is why it costs more.

You're essentially asking why galvanized metal would cost more than bare metal since the galvanized metal lasts longer.

But galvanized metal should be cheaper because it lasts longer.

>Lox
>Lax
It's called laks you insufferable faggots.

It's lax you stupid kike

Salmon prices are way up in general because of increased demand from Asia.

Incorrect.
Kikes call it lox.

get the fuck out of here fjordnigger

You get out, nigger nigger.

you don't understand capitalism.

you get charged more for a better product, because it is better.

And that's why it's called "Supply and Quality"

>A producer sinks opportunity costs, labor, and extra ingredients into a product all the while shrinking the gross weight he originally paid for the raw product and inevitably losing portions of the salmon to shrink and waste
>IT SHOULD BE CHEAPER
you're a special kind of stupid aren't you? Why do you think cheese costs more than milk? You're paying extra BECAUSE it can last longer in your fridge.

Ouch!!
>he used the double nigger word!!

>never post on Veeky Forums frequent a bunch of other boards
>check it out cause i love cooking
>figure it's tamer than the other boards for whatever reason
>see this

Nigger I can make good quality gravlax in 24 hours using just some Dill, Salt and one shot of Gin

>Why isn't everything free?!
>This is why Capitalism is evil!
>We need to put on black masks and burn more garbage cans to show the fucking bourgeoisie we mean business!

Every one of these faggots started on /b/. I have to remind myself of that sometimes. We're still on Veeky Forums.

>We're still on Veeky Forums.
And you'll never escape.

>Hurr Durr I'm an imbecile who started on b Durr everyone started on b

Please go back

underrated bost

i did spelled it right dick head

I started and fun shed in and on your mum, kid

That's probably equivalent to several pounds of salmon, same reason jerky is expensive.

Get off Veeky Forums, grandpa