I just purchased the Global G-5 18cm prep knife for 59.99. Retail is 99.99...

I just purchased the Global G-5 18cm prep knife for 59.99. Retail is 99.99. The vast majority of my cutting is vegetable prep.

Did I thusly fall prey to a memetic device?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Stainless-Mezzaluna-Bold-Bee-Vegetable/dp/B06XGH9N2H
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Are the holes in the handle to reduce air resistance?

naa, its a good knife

full retail isn't worth the price though

It's global shit

I mean, what does that mean though

Where's the rest of ya?

Some people don't like the metal handle.

The handle or rather grip angle seems to be the weak point but maybe it's because I'm not very used to it. You have to use a pinch grip relatively far up the spine compared to my other knives

I like my g2 chefs knife, you probably could have bought one of those chinese veg meme cleavers for $15 though

The Global G2 was the first chef knife I bought (2006). I ended up leaving it with my parents when I moved out, but it served me well for years. The only think I didn't like was the little hook at the heel of the knife. My mom and I both nicked ourselves on it.

You're missing a third of your knife there mate.

I've been using the GF-34 for 3 years non-stop, professionally, and I really can't complain. It's fairly heavy, but I do prefer heavier knives.

Where is the pointy bit?

Why do you think he got 40% off?

Speed holes. Makes the knife go faster.

You never really use the pointy bits anyhow.

You could have got a dozen Kiwis shaped almost the same but with a useful point. Does that hold an edge twelve times longer than a Kiwi?

It gives you an angle to rock on when slicing or cross chopping.

Are you aware Globals have very little tang and the handles are filled with sand?

Its been modified to comply with the UK's assault knife import ban

top post, user

OP here

this knife can do things like cut paper thin slices of tomato, or dice onions perfectly in tiny bits, cut serrano pepper finely without even pressing down the pepper, the blade just goes straight through.

I'm really happy because since I started seriously cooking about five years ago, this seems like the holy grail of knives, and finally capable of these fine and professional type cuts. I'm just really wondering how I maintain such an edge now :|

>I'm just really wondering how I maintain such an edge now
You have to play Green Day at the knifes edge.

Nah, they're for bacteria and schmegma to collect

Yeah, this is a well known issue OP. Dont ever drop your knife, or try to lever stuff like prying frozen blocks of fish or spinach apart.
if you want to give your knife the tender loving care it deserves you ought to get a smooth or microgrooved steel and a really good whetstone. And get a cheap knife to practice sharpening on, like a KIWI. All those other meme shit tings like pull through sharpeners or chefs choice electric sharpeners will just eat up your blade.

Should've got yourself a shun bro

God damn globalists putting knives in the water that turn the freakin frogs gay!

>this knife can do things like...the blade just goes straight through.

You just described any and all knives, assuming you don't suck at sharpening them. I'm not knocking your knife bro (I like globals),
just pointing out that sharpness isn't a defining characteristic of knife quality. Even shitty steel like a lid to a dog food can could be sharpened that sharp. What matters is how long the edge STAYS that sharp, and how often you have to touch it up to maintain that level of sharpness.

The blade geometry and profile are also pretty important and can make a huge difference in how the knife actually works. That is something most people dont understand because they have never held and worked with a really good knife.

>The blade geometry and profile are also pretty important and can make a huge difference in how the knife actually works.

Absoloutely, yes, those things are important too. But I wouldn't say those are "quality" factors. You can find any kind of bevel or profile you might want in both cheap and expensive knives.

that is true, but cheap shitty quick manufacturing methods and their results really are much more prevalent in shit knives

Rate my Black Friday knife, Veeky Forums.

German/10, pretty much. I expect it to be heavy, relatively soft steel, and nigh indestructible. It's a good knife if you expect it to be abused. Hopefully that's what you wanted.

>The vast majority of my cutting is vegetable prep.

Just buy a 10$ ceramic knife

Whole food vegan here,
don't do that.

7-10/10, depending on how much and how well you can care for it, how long you'd like the blade, what geometry you prefer and how well the handle fits your hand. What'd you pay for it?
weeb detected

ceramic knives need to be thick as shit to give the blade minimal stability and durability. The edge will still chip over time, no matter how careful you are. I tried such a knife once, never again.

OP here, I also have a kyocera advanced ceramic santoku. It is my other favorite knife. I would recommend it to anyone, as it was $40 and held a very sharp edge for two years. It's a little chipped now so I'm going to send it back and get their sharpening service

>ruin your edge in a dishwasher
>dick cheese bacteria in the handle forever

great choice, op.

>weeb detected
I'm curious what makes you say that. I never mentioned anything about Japanese knives being any better.

Calling it "german" doesn't make it bad or good. It indicates certain well-known characteristics. Whether those characteristics are good or bad depend entirely on what your needs for the knife are.

why would i put it in the dishwasher

$37

I think the point user was making is that the design of the knife forces you to either stick it in the dishwasher so the handle can be sanitized by the heat, or you have to accept the fact that the handle will never be truly sanitized.

>the handle will never be truly sanitized
why do you think it would never be truly sanitized? Do you actually believe those are holes? Like, all the way through the metal? They are just little dimples that are painted black, anontard.

>why do you think it would never be truly sanitized?
I don't hold that opinion. I was simply translating for you since you seemed confused by the post.

I agree, the whole idea of trying to maintain a truly sterile knife handle is a fool's errand.

>>Do you actually believe those are holes?
Nope, I own two Globals myself and I don't have any gripes with the handles (and I suspect that most people who do have no idea how to properly hold a cook's knife anyway)

>or you have to accept the fact that the handle will never be truly sanitized.

stainless steel knife handles can be sanitized with chlorox wipes etc.

once again this is a vegetable prep knife though...not that important. soap and water will prevent 99.8% of all pathogenic activity

Its ribbed for her pleasure you complete-package turbovirgin.

>Eating whole foods
>Thinking your knife advice isnt completely worthless
dont do that.

"whole" means stuff not sifted out. It doesn't mean I leave everything in one piece.

>holy grail of knives
>isn’t made from Damascus steel

No.

>not just buying the Slap Chop™

For the record damascus simply means layered steel and really isn't conclusive to a good knife and can be prone to delamination.

Is there a style of knife where the handle extends over the back of the blade?

What do you mean exactly? Something like pic related? Those do exist; they are for cutting noodles.

That's sort of like what I'm thinking. Mostly, when I do a lot of vegetable prep I like to move my hand more to the middle of the blade, and the spine inevitably gives me blisters by the time I'm done. I can't seem to find something that just covers more of the back so I can keep my hand on wood or plastic instead of metal.

Why are you finding the need to move your hand like that? Are you finding it helps you get more leverage or is there something else involved? Fatigue maybe? Are you prepping lots of veggies at a restaurant or are you just cooking at home?

It's just leverage. It lets me use my arm to push downward instead of my wrist.

sounds like what you need is a sharp knife

Could be, but it still seems more efficient to try and shift the effort to the arm instead of the wrist. It doesn't seem like I should be the only person who wants to cut this way.

well the question is, what are you cutting through that requires so much repeated effort?

Chinese cleavers are considered ideal by many people for doing tough prep

I buy a bunch of vegetables once a month, chop them, and then freeze them all. That just ends up being a lot of prep at once, but it makes cooking really convenient until I have to do it again.

mezzaluna is what you're really looking for maybe

amazon.com/Stainless-Mezzaluna-Bold-Bee-Vegetable/dp/B06XGH9N2H

I wonder how hard it is to get good with one of those. It seems like good design.

i can't imagine it is that hard to use, this seems like it would be ideal for older people or people with hand/wrist problems too.

i'm tempted to buy one of these right now to cut my weekly digiornos with

>sounds like what you need is a sharp knife
Beat me to it.

A month's worth of veggies should be virtually zero effort to prep, assuming your knife is sharp. I think you just need to sharpen your knife. For most veggies, like onions for example, your knife should cut straight through to the board with almost no pressure at all from you. The weight of the knife alone should be enough, assuming it's properly sharp. Of course for firmer vegetables like sweet potatoes you will need to use pressure, but that should give you a point of reference for how sharp your knife is and where it should be.

Mezzalunas are great for minicing small things, like herbs. They're useless for just about anything else, and unless you found an unusually large one, they're nowhere near long enough for cutting a pizza (though they do make "pizza knives" which are)

should've gotten a chef knife or a santoku instead of that odd bastard mix of the two

The one shown is 12 inches which is plenty large to cut a 14 inch pizza

Which vegetables? Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy them already frozen?

Mirepoix plus something new each time. And it definitely isn't cheaper to buy them frozen, they way overcharge for that shit.

Why is it impossible to find a real cleaver these days?

Stuff like Barclay and Brussels sprouts is always cheaper frozen if you know where to get it. 100% florets too.

What do you mean? You can get some on Amazon heavier than your claw hammer? Do you need even bigger?