Hi Veeky Forums, i'm moving out in a month , can you recommend me a set of pots and pans?

Hi Veeky Forums, i'm moving out in a month , can you recommend me a set of pots and pans?

Does this look like a decent set or is it shit?
amazon.com/gp/product/B00OBFIP52/

Other urls found in this thread:

usapan.com/8-piece-5-ply-stainless-steel-cookware-set-1550cw
amazon.com/dp/B00008CM68/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_4Z1gAbSRMCG7F
amazon.com/Lagostina-Stainless-Dishwasher-Cookware-13-Piece/dp/B00TKXD0CS/ref=sr_1_8?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1511744022&sr=1-8&refinements=p_n_feature_two_browse-bin:3189421011
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

are you a cute girl?

nope, pls help ;-;

carbon steel or bust
on average they would be, since the majority of Veeky Forums is female

Unless we're talking hookers, never buy sets of any kind, goddammit. Cardinal rule.

just go to walmart and get the bare essentials. i mean one frying pan, one soup pan. one fork, one knife, one spoon. one cutting board. 1 chopping knife, one butter knife, and serrating knife. you get the idea, i hope.

Some stainless pans have some small amounts of chromium in them. Some nutjob I know is saying that this will make your food toxic.

Looks good, but you don't need a set.
>includes 8- and 10.5-inch fry pans; 12-inch covered fry pan
You only need the 12-inch.
>1-, 2-, and 3-quart sauce pans
You only need a 2-quart.
>5-quart covered stew pot
This is okay but I'd get an 8-quart at least.

carbon steel isn't stainless

>some stainless pans have some small amounts of chromium
No fucking shit it does, chromium is the part of stainless steel alloy that makes it rust and corrosion resistant

You'll not find a better deal than this. If you don't want a set the individual pieces are on sale as well.

usapan.com/8-piece-5-ply-stainless-steel-cookware-set-1550cw

those are some nice pans

I just got pic related. Nice set. Works on everything, Isn't Teflon. Looks similar to your set. Cuisinart is a good brand.

amazon.com/dp/B00008CM68/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_4Z1gAbSRMCG7F

Stainless is a good way to go if you dont plan on having one of everything. That set has too many pots you dont need though. If money is an issue find a smaller set.

For you

Protip opie u don't want any pans where the rivets actually are visible on the inner pan
those shits are my BIGGEST pet peeve with pans and I fucking hate my life because half of mine have them

i got this same set 8 years ago, it has held up really well, would recommend. only $20 more than the t-fal tier pans in the OP post.

it may be too many pans, but it's good to have a large saute pan, large pot (for pasta etc) and medium sauce pan, plus a small to medium non-stick frying pan for eggs etc.

>I fucking hate my life
because you find them hard to clean? you must have a great life if that's your worst problem, they fucking simple to clean

IMO you want:

Stainless steel
Aluminium and/or Copper base/lining
Riveted handles (as opposed to spot welded)
Stainless lids (as opposed to glass)
All pots should have a rolled edge for pouring

On Amazon, I'd go with something like this:
amazon.com/Lagostina-Stainless-Dishwasher-Cookware-13-Piece/dp/B00TKXD0CS/ref=sr_1_8?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1511744022&sr=1-8&refinements=p_n_feature_two_browse-bin:3189421011

My wife has a similar Lagostina set and it is good. I have a different set but her's is probably better than mine overall. $125 is a great price, that set will easily last at least 10 years, although probably more like forever.

I would agree with you when talking non-stick pans, but when it comes to stainless they aren't a big deal. I think it is worth the tradeoff compared to getting a spot-welded handle that will fall off.

Just get a Scanpan set

i do have a great life, good job, happy relationship, decent income.

just hate my pans my dude

even with stainless, I HATE the feeling as I try to clean around the dumb fucking things, horrible idea 0/10
now I have personally NEVER seen a spot-welded handle come off where it wasn't being broken off or a straight up defective/shitter unit.

Hence "stainless"

don't buy a set
get 2 or three frying pans, like a mon dtick, a cast iron and a steel, a sauce pan and a bigger pan like a dutch oven or a stock pot
you'll probably want more eventually but start with that shit and work your way up

Don't bother. When starting out, just 1 frying pan and 1 sauce pan will fit 99.99% of your needs. Also having too many pots and pans will discourage you from doing the dishes in a timely manner--you'll just let them pile up until you run out of usable cookware, by which time the oldest ones will have molded over with caked on food.

not everyone is a disgusting slob, you know

What's up with all you "don't buy a set" memesters?

You get all the essentials at a great price. It's true that almost every set will also include extra shit you don't need - but the set is usually WAY cheaper than buying individual pieces. This is especially true for high quality pans. You can just donate the pieces you don't want, or if they're nice ones you can sell them online and recoup some of your money. There is a huge market for second hand cookware.

Get a cast iron form Lodge. A stainless steel sauce pan, and a dutch oven (for bread making obviously) Build out from there slowly.

A set is a great option if you're actually interested in cooking. I actually have two full sets of cookware and the only part of it that I would consider somewhat redundant is the saute pans. I have only ever used one of those at a time. Absolutely everything else I have made use of at various times.

Buying one pot or one frying pan is for people who are only ever intending to make kraft dinner and fry the odd egg or steak.

Even one fairly simple meal like pasta + sauce + pan fried chicken would use most parts of a set.

Get a few cheap ones from an Asian supermarket and get better stuff later. Maybe get a pressure cooker or instant pot right away.

lol western cooking

if you have a glass cooktop, you don't even need pans, just cook on the glass like it was a grill

You're overcomplicating your life, my fallen, consumeristic comrade. You really don't need all that crap to produce a complex, delicious meal. If you can't do it with the essentials then you're not a creative and competent cook; you're a comfortable cook, competently executing. At best.

This. Also get 1 oven cooking sheet with ridges

this, and if you're in the US, get the USA Pan brand. affordable and reliable as fuck.

serious question: what about those of us who are, by our own admission, uncreative/incompetent cooks? because that describes me quite accurately

That commie had it backwards honestly. Uncreatives/incompetents need less cookware because they cook less and more basic shit.

tell us more about your 1-pot masterpieces

>1-pot
moving the goalposts, I said a frying pan, small pot, big pot

Bare bones essentials:

Stock pot
Sauce pot
Skillet
Saute with lid
Colander/steamer insert
Baking sheet
Baking dish

99% of cookware sets include the first four. Many include the first five.

Mostly disagree.
Its easier for a non cook to cook eggs in a teflon pan than it is for them to cook in stainless because it requires less technique.

Who said anything about 1 pot?

I think you could eliminate one of tgose by calling it a pan with a lid.
You suck at life and advising people on it. Why did you think this was good advise?

teflon vs. stainless isn't what we're discussing. normie non cooks can have 1 pan and 1 pot and be fine, people more interested in cooking need more.

>saute pans and skillets are the same

>omg i sauteed something in a skillet
>better turn myself in

Actual cookware sets (if you care to buy a full set) should start around $200-300.

Less than that you're just buying cheap shit that wont last more than a handful of years at most. And likely wont have good thermal conductivity either.

Even the $200-300 sets are low end. $600-1000 is considered mid-range. High end would be $1500+

Oh, wow. You really are clueless. Bless.

If you're buying it in a set that's 100% accurate.

I'm not saying you should be paying $1500+ for good cookware, but if you're buying in a complete set from a single brand that isn't garbage quality. Yeah that's pretty accurate.

14 piece all-clad 5ply stainless will run you $1300-1500

I'm talking REAL quality, not something that will go to shit in 5 years, something that you can have in your kitchen for a decade+ without any worry about it failing.

>You really are clueless
yea, you are.

I'm a cute girl (male)
What does that net me?

>Buy a $100 set that lasts at least 5 to 10 years
>or buy a $1100 set that last 20+ years
Stainless steel pans last for a long fucking time. They don't just disintegrate.

This set for example costs $120 and is fine for someone moving out into a new place and starting to cook. I've had it for 8 years and it's perfectly good today. OP doesn't need a $1500 cookware set. He needs some starter pots and pans to do some light home cooking.

If OP buys a $100 set and after a few months or years doesn't like it, at least he has some knowledge he can then use to figure out what he really wants/needs.

Fuck you and your $1500 starter pan set

OP here, i bought this set

i see myself using all of the pots/pans except maybe the largest one until i find out what the hell to cook in it (for one person)

excellent choice. get a small non-stick frying pan for fried eggs and whatnot and youre set

You use the largest one for making spaghetti, stock, soups, stews, chili, curry, etc.

Most stew/chili/curry/etc you can make in a large batch and store/freeze to eat later.

Yeah but when you freeze and microwave things it destroys a lot of the flavor because of the freezing process and frostbite.

>OP doesn't need a $1500 cookware set
>I'm not saying you should be paying $1500+ for good cookware

I literally already said that, I 100% would recommend someone buy a cheap low end cookware set for just moving out, simply stating, one should temper their expectations with that price range, you're buying cheap shit. That's just a fact.

okay, sorry for not fulling reading the thread and mouthing off

Wok and chopsticks is all you need.

just buy a big frying pan, a big sauce pan and a big stew pot. you really don't need the rest, unless you're one of those lazy shits that never cleans the dishes

Yeah, if you're a peasant in China maybe.

>unless you're one of those lazy shits that never cleans the dishes
I'm one of those who will sometimes wait until I use every last dish, pan and utensil before I wash them. When I put most of my extra dishes and utensils in storage, washing dishes became so much easier. blog posting so it might help another user.

I only clean stuff when the bf is coming over and I've not suffered the slightest inconvenience from leaving flavorful residue for the next meal.

you re-use dirty pans and plates without cleaning them? and youre a girl?

HIV, meth mouth, and oral gonorrhea

Never said I was girl. Do the residues from fatty stuff get nasty instead of just drying like my whole plant foods do?

>girl (male)

no such thing

I agree with advice to just buy cheap shit at first and then learn what you need/want IF you want to cook a lot at home then return to us.

Hardships and dysphoria